Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:52 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,961,391 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, I am just posting a reminder as to CDs' rule regarding Copyrighted Material. We have had some problems with people posting things they shouldnt. The rule is, you can not copy and paste on a post, portions of an article from Newspapers, Magazines, Websites, etc... you need to put up the link to the site of what it is you want people to read, and let them go read it for themselves. Thank you.

Suzette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 10:27 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,541,973 times
Smile Thanks Suzette!

Because of this I've been using my own photos & emoticons that are designed for forums. Just wanted to add something I learned recently. If you use photobucket, as I do, anyone can right click your image to copy and paste your account/album name into google and have access to all your photos. To prevent this change your account to Private & assign a password. You can give the password to family & friends to access photos.

This doesn't stop someone from copying your photos from here, but at least they can't access your entire album. Also, if you take the photo you own the rights to it, whether it has a copyright watermark on it or not.

Old 02-22-2008, 11:50 PM

Thanks Boo for the information. Yeah pictures are a tough thing too, because people can copy your pics without your permission.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 AM

223 posts, read 1,004,296 times
I posted this on the photography forum, but I'll add it here also. If you use a photo program there is an option when you go to *save as* your photo after cropping (or whaterver else) and when you rename the file click on the low resolution choice. Most usually have options of *web size* format. Just a side note, IMO never save over an original photo, always save as a new file name. That way if there are any oops, you can go back to the original. I also have a photo program that alows me to place text on the photo. After resizing the picture, I place my name somewhere in the photo also. Whenever I post my work on websites, that's what I do so that it prevents people from using my pix. Although I don't ever mind sharing, I want people to ask, not just take. That right click, copy, is way to handy!

Old 02-23-2008, 12:29 PM

625 posts, read 2,437,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
Thanks Boo for the information. Yeah pictures are a tough thing too, because people can copy your pics without your permission.
If they copied mine, I'd be flattered. Heck, I'm no professional and I'll readily admit it.

What about news stories--how to deal with those?

Old 02-23-2008, 01:06 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,541,973 times
Because I'm not a professional photographer, I'm also flattered when someone wants to use my photos. Another member did ask to use mine once & I receive a lot of nice comments on my photos too. I also don't mind sharing & it's nice when someone asks. I guess if you don't want to share then it's best not to post it.

I did copy & past photos before, I didn't claim as my own, just used them for relevance to my post, but since reading about the copyright I'm more careful about what I post now.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:02 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,144,837 times
I like to call myself an artist - I dabble at oil painting - I used to teach painting classes for years at night after I came home from a regular 40 hour week job. I tend to snag photos off the internet and use them as ideas for paintings. My paintings are never exact copies, but are interpretations of the original photos.

However, the photo question is a good one. When a photographer takes a picture of a building, or a sculpture, then he is copying someone else's work. Is it legal? pretty sure it is.

it is a fine line between what is original art and what isn't.

there is a new sculpture park opening in Seattle that has a piece in it (Claes Oldenburg's Typewriter Eraser) that has a notice near it that photographing the piece is prohibited. But the piece is on a hillside overlooking a public road and can be seen from many public places around the park. should anyone be arrested for taking it's picture? I don't think so, but that's clearly just my opinion.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:09 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,144,837 times
one more thing - sorry, if I'm rambling - using photographs as inspiration for paintings has been around for a long, long time - my grandmother used to peruse picture books and magazines for ideas for paintings - she did not come up with ideas 'out of her head'. Not many artists do.

Old 02-23-2008, 06:23 PM

223 posts, read 1,004,296 times
I think that's great what you do buck. A paintbrush in my hand is ... how do I say it ... ! There was something I just read about photography as a copyrighted art. When someone takes a photograph as soon as that shutter clicks, it is instantly frozen in time as a copyrighted piece of work by the person who clicked the button. The only thing copyrighted is that one picture, but not the idea behind it. As for a piece of art placed in a (public?) park, I would take the picture. I wonder how they monitor camera happy clicking people. I do understand that the artist may not want a picture of their sculpture publicized w/o permission, but what's on public land is just that, public ... my opinion.

Old 02-24-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCCASparky View Post
If they copied mine, I'd be flattered. Heck, I'm no professional and I'll readily admit it.

What about news stories--how to deal with those?
Hi Sparky,
With the news stories you have to provide a link, that way whoever is reading your post can go the news site and read it for themselves. We just dont want to have any problems with the misuse (sp?) of the copyrighted materials one might post on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire