Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2016, 03:47 PM

5 posts, read 6,529 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving to New Hampshire. My son is my major concern. He is a 44 yr. old man who will need assistance from social services in the area. Try as hard as you might, you never really know what the services offered in an area truly are unless you get to the point of application for services and to get to that point you have to be a resident of the area.
However I thought that I would ask people who are currently in the state to see if they knew of anyone who is in the system and could help me out with some data and information about the social system for develolpmentelly disabled adults and what do the living placements. jobs, day programs, group homes etc. look like. anyone out there have some knowledge of this. I would apprciate any comments pertaining to this subject

Last edited by onlyonedonna; 10-23-2016 at 03:51 PM.. Reason: added a word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2016, 05:38 PM

176 posts, read 298,938 times
Head south to Mass. NH is famous for its lack of services for the DD and mentally ill, and they won't change things anytime soon. Guarantee any funding increases we get over the next decade or so are going to fight heroin addiction.

NH and Mass are not appreciably different in many places, no matter what the freedom crowd crows, western Mass has areas that are just as lovely as parts of NH, and a lot of southern NH isn't any better than the Framingham/Worcester strip.

Unless you have some overwhelming need to move to NH, stay where you are or move to Mass, either way you'll miss the year-plus backlog.

Old 10-23-2016, 11:53 PM

125 posts, read 149,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfheim View Post
Head south to Mass. NH is famous for its lack of services for the DD and mentally ill, and they won't change things anytime soon. Guarantee any funding increases we get over the next decade or so are going to fight heroin addiction.

NH and Mass are not appreciably different in many places, no matter what the freedom crowd crows, western Mass has areas that are just as lovely as parts of NH, and a lot of southern NH isn't any better than the Framingham/Worcester strip.

Unless you have some overwhelming need to move to NH, stay where you are or move to Mass, either way you'll miss the year-plus backlog.
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

https://m.facebook.com/farmsteadsofnewengland/

This place is top notch and the state of NH pays for all of its adult residents. We moved across the country for NH's amazing special needs services. And don't even get me started on www.crotchedmountain.org it is one of the best special needs facilities on the planet.

Why are the people who speak the loudest on a topic always the least informed?

Last edited by mrplow3; 10-24-2016 at 12:03 AM..

Old 10-26-2016, 10:08 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

https://m.facebook.com/farmsteadsofnewengland/

This place is top notch and the state of NH pays for all of its adult residents. We moved across the country for NH's amazing special needs services. And don't even get me started on www.crotchedmountain.org it is one of the best special needs facilities on the planet.

Why are the people who speak the loudest on a topic always the least informed?
And why on earth would you boast about this? The more special needs people moving to NH will up the cost to the rest of us and dilute the quality of care to them.

I hear plenty of complaints from townspeople regarding the extremely high cost of dealing with the special needs children in the school systems. And we're all sick and tired of our high property taxes.

Plus it's one thing to "want" to take care of the special needs and disabled people from families who have been long time residents of NH, but another to encourage people from outside our state to move here for that care. It's fine to take services from the NH, but one should have been paying into the system first.

Taking on too many of these burdens is going to sink the lifeboat for everyone. And if moving to MA instead is recommended, it's because their economy is much stronger to deal with the handicapped people. The tax revenue is many times great than NH's because of the higher population and businesses there. NH is a much more rural state, less people, less businesses. And why else do so many NH residents have to work in MA?

Old 10-26-2016, 12:32 PM
miu

I see that the OP has asked this same question about Lincoln, NE and Tuscan, AZ.

IMO NH residents are friendly enough, but we already have a lot on our plate to deal with already. We don't have a surplus of tax money to give to outsiders' problems. I really need for my tax bill to go down (I would love marijuana to be legalized and to have the added tax revenue from that industry to go towards our school systems!). I'm just being honest. And it's not a personal attack against the OP and her son, I don't want any Syrian refugees moving here also.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:44 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
I would like to see MJ sold in the State Liquor stores so much of the revenue could be used to support facilities for the unfortunate.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:55 PM

125 posts, read 149,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
And why on earth would you boast about this? The more special needs people moving to NH will up the cost to the rest of us and dilute the quality of care to them.

I hear plenty of complaints from townspeople regarding the extremely high cost of dealing with the special needs children in the school systems. And we're all sick and tired of our high property taxes.

Plus it's one thing to "want" to take care of the special needs and disabled people from families who have been long time residents of NH, but another to encourage people from outside our state to move here for that care. It's fine to take services from the NH, but one should have been paying into the system first.

Taking on too many of these burdens is going to sink the lifeboat for everyone. And if moving to MA instead is recommended, it's because their economy is much stronger to deal with the handicapped people. The tax revenue is many times great than NH's because of the higher population and businesses there. NH is a much more rural state, less people, less businesses. And why else do so many NH residents have to work in MA?
Fair enough, I can't argue with any of this.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:27 AM

385 posts, read 398,822 times
Be careful with all the "free tax money" you think you might get from the legalization of marijuana. We have friends in CO and the number of unemployed and homeless kids in the streets have jumped up exponentially in recent years. Not many are working, just looking for legal pot.

Old 10-27-2016, 01:24 PM

371 posts, read 537,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
Fair enough, I can't argue with any of this.
Well if it was my child I would go wherever I could find help. Who can afford to pay out of pocket for this kind of therapy? I don't think any parent could blame you for moving across country to get the help your child needs. That's what parents do.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:10 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup Nazi View Post
Well if it was my child I would go wherever I could find help. Who can afford to pay out of pocket for this kind of therapy? I don't think any parent could blame you for moving across country to get the help your child needs. That's what parents do.
Right. Make complete strangers have to pay for the problems of someone else's child.

Well again, if anyone on C-D is living in the perfect low tax town or getting the best "free" services for their handicapped family member.... be smart and don't tell anyone how good your have it. And that's the problem America and the UK have. First world countries with a very decent quality of life, so all the people from broken and ill-functioning countries want to immigrate there. And they try to sneak in, in any way they can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: