Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 11:15 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times

Advertisements

Basically, I'm kinda looking to get out of Boston/Massachusetts in general sometime in the next couple years if I can figure out a decent enough plan of action.

I'm from Cleveland, which is a place I do very much like and have my family and friends there. But I've visited New Hampshire (and Manchester in particular) 4 times in the last year or so and just seems like a great place. There are a lot of fun day trips, still totally accessible to Boston if I ever wanted to go visit, seems a lot cheaper in general (taxes, rents, etc). Manchester seems to have a kinda strange vibe to it- which I like. Boston is pretty boring for being a bigger city with national and international significance.

My concern is that Manchester (or anywhere else in NH) might be just too "small" for me. It seems like there is a lot to do there, but I've only ever visited for one day at a time. Columbus, OH is the smallest city I've lived in, but even its metro area is 4x Greater Manchester.

I work admin at a university. 27 years old, big into music (classical mostly) and sports/recreation, history. Right now I'm kinda interested in NH for a year or two, but not opposed to longer term either if it seems like a good fit. I would ideally like to be in more of a family-creating situation in the next 4-5 years.

Anyway, if any of you have any advice or insights, I'd be grateful.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 02:49 PM

125 posts, read 149,124 times
Too many people who like things "big" keep moving to NH. My advice, don't.

You either try and change it to make it like the toliet you left, or you accept NH for what it is, hate it and leave it.

One of the reasons NH is better than most states is because it is so different than the urbanized modern cesspools that are rapidly taking over the US.

Keep NH small, if that sounds bad too you, please do yourself and us a favor. Don't come.

Old 11-18-2016, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
Too many people who like things "big" keep moving to NH. My advice, don't.

You either try and change it to make it like the toliet you left, or you accept NH for what it is, hate it and leave it.

One of the reasons NH is better than most states is because it is so different than the urbanized modern cesspools that are rapidly taking over the US.

Keep NH small, if that sounds bad too you, please do yourself and us a favor. Don't come.
Sorry to offend you. By the way, cleveland and Boston are good places, not cespools. Never said I wanted to make Manchester big, whatever that means. I've been there, I like it and new hampshire. Just looking for some basic answers, maybe from people with similar experience. So your answer is not helpful.

If this is the typical new hampshirite, I guess count me out. Wow. Sorry I brought up such a bitter and sensitive topic of liking your state and maybe wanting to live there.

Old 11-18-2016, 04:13 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,543,223 times
Manchester has come a long way as far as having a night life but may still have too much a small town feel in comparison to even Boston. There is a roughness to the inner city but if you survived Cleveland and Boston I am sure you can handle it. Winter is coming which means the large concert scene will be winding down but there are plenty of clubs with local acts and other venues are all within the reach of an easy drive. If you are a foodie then you will be happy as there is an explosion of dining options.

Old 11-18-2016, 05:36 PM

125 posts, read 149,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Sorry to offend you. By the way, cleveland and Boston are good places, not cespools. Never said I wanted to make Manchester big, whatever that means. I've been there, I like it and new hampshire. Just looking for some basic answers, maybe from people with similar experience. So your answer is not helpful.

If this is the typical new hampshirite, I guess count me out. Wow. Sorry I brought up such a bitter and sensitive topic of liking your state and maybe wanting to live there.
I may be the saltiest member of this board but I'm also the most direct.

I'm just trying to give you beneficial advice, not necessarily what you want to hear but hopefully helpful.

You like things big and NH is not. So I'm trying to save you the headache

Old 11-18-2016, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrplow3 View Post
I may be the saltiest member of this board but I'm also the most direct.

I'm just trying to give you beneficial advice, not necessarily what you want to hear but hopefully helpful.

You like things big and NH is not. So I'm trying to save you the headache
I gotcha. But I live in boston now and don't like it, so I'm not sure that's accurate. I've just never lived anywhere that's as small as Manchester. Though when I've visited, it didn't really feel that small to me. Just wondering what locals think.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:25 PM

2,632 posts, read 4,048,839 times
I think you'll be fine in Manchester. At worst, you might "see everything" sooner than in larger cities. If course, if you're a few years from thinking about family, it may not be a terrible thing. The sorrounding towns are great for family life. (Granted, you have plenty of time to think about that later.)

In any case, I would point out that Manchester, while being urban for NH, is mostly suburban compared to other places. I do think people in Manchester are less urbanized: while there are those who do "city things" (shopping, dining out, day trips elsewhere—i.e. Boston, Portsmouth, etc.), fewer people generally rely on public transport and such compared to Boston, and others may also be invested in other outdoor activities (hiking or camping or even skiing in the winter); and, of course, driving around, in general. It is in a centralized location after all (i.e. a reasonable distance to the seacoast, mountains, lakes, jobs and other states).

Old 11-19-2016, 09:26 AM

161 posts, read 167,812 times
I am originally from Cleveland too but have basically lived in NH my whole life, and have relatives that live in the Cleveland suburbs (middleburg heights). Certainly Manchester is not a big urban city. It's mostly a big suburb. NH certainly is a small state, and as far as many small town dwellers are concerned, Manchester is a big city. You could easily make day trips to Boston from Manchester if you wanted a bigger city experience. Maybe look into Nashua; the 2nd biggest city in the state and is right near the MA line. Nothing in NH is very big. I don't know what to tell you.

Old 11-19-2016, 09:52 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
I think within 2 years, you will be bored. New Hampshire has lots of little things to do on the weekends, especially if you are into history, but gets very quiet in the winter, without a lot of organized big events until spring.

We have a pretty good music scene for people into the kind of small groups you'll find playing at the local Irish bar, but not a lot of options for classical music. Take a look at the schedule for Concord Center and SNH, because that pretty well sums up the New Hampshire classical music scene.

Old 11-19-2016, 10:21 AM

Thanks for the answers! To clarify, I'm not saying I want Manchester to be a big city. Right now, I live 90% of my life in the 2 square miles between house and work. So what I'm thinking is that, while I've only lived in big cities (cle, columbus, boston, Moscow russia), I feel that in my practical life I might be fine somewhere smaller. I don't go to galleries in my free time, or fancy cocktail parties, I don't really go to tons of stuff that's not work or church or local bars in my neighborhood.

It's great to hear people's opinions though, keep them coming. I am interested in maybe trying to work at st anselms if I decide to move. Any opinions on the place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire