Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2017, 02:28 PM

540 posts, read 589,067 times

Advertisements

Charmgary, not sure if you read our story but we moved from Southern CA to NH last October.
Think long and hard about such a drastic lifestyle change.
http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-h...-been-fun.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2017, 06:44 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,342,524 times
This thread would certainly make me second guess NH. Not for the reasons stated, but if the sour downers who responded are any indication you would be glad they are hibernating half the year..

Old 05-30-2017, 07:10 PM

822 posts, read 856,859 times
If you still want New England check out Rhode Island. You can definitely find something in your price range. And even though we still get winter, it's much milder than NH.

Old 05-31-2017, 05:25 AM

1,943 posts, read 1,487,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
winter activities expensive? Tell that to my snowshoes or cross country skiis. Many of us here don't care for mechanized winter activities. Rather takes the fun out of the winter quiet.
True enough. Those were just the things I did growing up, so I put them first.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:29 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
Something to consider is that all northern states have winter, ones that are more similar than not. Once winter sets in and you put your shorts away, does it matter if the temp is 30 or zero? Not by as much as you might think. You still won't sit outside. Biggest difference I've seen is a longer winter season, but not by much, and much cooler summers than further south. Oh yea, we also don't have such frequent ice storms as they do in the mid-Atlantic and south.

Old 05-31-2017, 08:47 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,668,367 times
Talking I love NH, I loathe CA

On an unrelated note, I used to travel to LA for work reasons, I'm not blindly prejudiced against the state.

When I was ready to get out of the Midwest, I made a list of states and ranked them by subjective and objective criteria I felt were most important to me, including having 4 seasons, taxation, corruption, water, recreation, etc. I chose NH because of the winter (politics, culture, etc), not despite it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
This thread would certainly make me second guess NH. Not for the reasons stated, but if the sour downers who responded are any indication you would be glad they are hibernating half the year..
I love New Hampshire, however like many residents I am suspicious of left coasters who want to move here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
If you still want New England check out Rhode Island. You can definitely find something in your price range. And even though we still get winter, it's much milder than NH.
I lived in RI for about a year (again, for work). It's pretty darn expensive there too, plus more taxation. I'd rather see Cali expatriates go to Massachusetts or Rhode Island, as opposed to coming here and trying to vote in all the taxes and restrictive legislation they miss from back home.

That said, even if OP had said "I'm a founding member of Free State Project and am ready to join the early movers", I would have offered the same cautions -- if only to avoid having people move in and then out again in a year, like Dross99_si talks about upthread.

Quote:
Something to consider is that all northern states have winter, ones that are more similar than not.
I moved here from Madison, Wisconsin, and thought the same thing before I moved. Central NH gets more ice storms than the Midwest, snow seems to stick around longer and accumulate deeper. That said, if you like snowmobiling, ice fishing, and snowshoeing, these are all advantages over Wisconsin's winters.

I have no problem with motorized winter recreation; snowmobilers alone bring millions of dollars annually to New Hampshire -- about $2M just in taxes (mostly paid by out-of-state residents, the best kind of taxes!)

Last edited by Nonesuch; 05-31-2017 at 09:11 AM..

Old 05-31-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Something to consider is that all northern states have winter, ones that are more similar than not. Once winter sets in and you put your shorts away, does it matter if the temp is 30 or zero? Not by as much as you might think. You still won't sit outside. Biggest difference I've seen is a longer winter season, but not by much, and much cooler summers than further south. Oh yea, we also don't have such frequent ice storms as they do in the mid-Atlantic and south.
There is a BIG difference between 30 degrees and 0. One is cold, but perfectly comfortable to be outside and doing things as long as you are dressed right. Zero degrees is absolutely bitter and makes you only want to go out if you absolutely have to. There is quite a bit of difference in length between winters in New Hampshire when I was growing up, and winters down here in Philadelphia where I live now. Philadelphia doesn't get much snow, and when we do it almost always melts within a week or two. It doesn't stick around, unlike NH where the far more frequent snowstorms and much colder temps cause the snow to pile up for months.

That isn't even taking into account that spring isn't much more then rainy, cold mud season. I just don't understand why New Englanders try to downplay how bad the winters are, especially to someone who isn't used to them at all.

Old 05-31-2017, 11:36 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,501,565 times
We downplay how bad the winters are because to us, they're not. Zero is a perfectly fine temperature of you're dressed for it, which is not hard. Sure, I would not go out in a 30 MPH gale at zero, but I would not do that at 32 either. Personally, I find ice the worst, rain next and snow last.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
We downplay how bad the winters are because to us, they're not. Zero is a perfectly fine temperature of you're dressed for it, which is not hard. Sure, I would not go out in a 30 MPH gale at zero, but I would not do that at 32 either. Personally, I find ice the worst, rain next and snow last.
Different strokes for different folks I guess.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:29 PM

540 posts, read 589,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
On an unrelated note, I used to travel to LA for work reasons, I'm not blindly prejudiced against the state.

When I was ready to get out of the Midwest, I made a list of states and ranked them by subjective and objective criteria I felt were most important to me, including having 4 seasons, taxation, corruption, water, recreation, etc. I chose NH because of the winter (politics, culture, etc), not despite it.

I love New Hampshire, however like many residents I am suspicious of left coasters who want to move here.

I lived in RI for about a year (again, for work). It's pretty darn expensive there too, plus more taxation. I'd rather see Cali expatriates go to Massachusetts or Rhode Island, as opposed to coming here and trying to vote in all the taxes and restrictive legislation they miss from back home.

That said, even if OP had said "I'm a founding member of Free State Project and am ready to join the early movers", I would have offered the same cautions -- if only to avoid having people move in and then out again in a year, like Dross99_si talks about upthread.

I moved here from Madison, Wisconsin, and thought the same thing before I moved. Central NH gets more ice storms than the Midwest, snow seems to stick around longer and accumulate deeper. That said, if you like snowmobiling, ice fishing, and snowshoeing, these are all advantages over Wisconsin's winters.

I have no problem with motorized winter recreation; snowmobilers alone bring millions of dollars annually to New Hampshire -- about $2M just in taxes (mostly paid by out-of-state residents, the best kind of taxes!)
Just curious (and no offense taken here) of all things why do you say you're "suspicious" about left coasters moving to NH? Suspicious of what exactly?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire