Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2017, 04:43 PM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samandgiasmom View Post
NH winters vary widely depending on where you are in the state. I live on the coast, and it's not uncommon for it to be raining here and snowing inland.
But this is true pretty much everywhere, isn't it. International Falls, MN, routinely is the coldest spot in the US, much colder than Mpls. Chicago, IL, is very different from Cairo, IL. Portage IN gets much more snow than nearby Gary, either gets more than Indianapolis. Even nearby, Cape Cod weather is very different from Worcester or the Berkshires. My little town in SW NH is cooler year-round, and gets more snow, than the towns to the east and west. (How well do you know SW NH? Maybe you can guess the town. )

Good point to raise, though. You couldn't have a bigger winter contrast than Berlin, NH and the Seacoast.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 04:22 AM

346 posts, read 358,481 times
Having lived in NH for 34 years most of that in SWNH, the last three in far northern NH. SWNH gets far more snow, than up here. We had many winters where there were 3 or 4 feet of snow on the ground at any one time. It is certainly colder here in the north and the snow once it falls doesn't melt until May or late April on a warm year. The one piece I miss about SWNH is I could grow peaches, up here I'm told they won't bare fruit, but one in three years. It's a small price to pay for the outdoor recreation living in the north brings.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 AM

1,563 posts, read 2,874,151 times
East or west doesn't matter when the HAWK is out.Miserable in both places

Old 08-04-2017, 12:57 PM

221 posts, read 484,075 times
Nowhere near Michigan like I remember but like others have said it depends on the location especially if you go up further north. I just remember Michigan was brutal at times; yes the windchill can drop to -20 here but not as common. It's not that bad at all honestly. It's more of if you're okay with the long cool/cold months (which can be from mid-Oct to sometimes late April; one year it was cold into May!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgthoskins View Post
I grew up in Minnesota, NH winters are pretty tame IMO.
Yep lol. When we complain about the winter, the Minnesotans are always laughing at us with the amount of snow we get...not as much as them.

Old 08-05-2017, 06:43 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,778,277 times
AFAK - Midwestern winters, west of the Great Lakes, are dry, very cold and very, windy. Northeast winters tend to have more snow due to the proximity of the Atlantic Ocean and are much warmer for the same reason. The biggest factors in New Hampshire winters are distance from the ocean and elevation. Portsmouth may get snow, sleet and rain while they are getting buried in snow north of Franconia.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:44 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,504,464 times
GregW, as someone who grew up in the Midwest, I can say your comment is mostly correct, but there are some interesting exceptions due to lake effect snow, which is snow on the eastern edge of the great lakes. It's why Buffalo gets so much snow, at least until Lake Erie freezes. Lake effect snow is most prominent in Michigan, on a broad band east of Lake Michigan. Another band goes from Cleveland to Buffalo, and a very strong band hits the Upper Peninsula (UP) of Michigan, where they get feet of snow courtesy Lake Superior. There's also a band of lake effect snow to the west of each great lake, but it's a narrow band with less snow. In Chicago, for example, it goes landward a few miles, such that you hear snow forecasts say "and greater near the lake".

Old 08-05-2017, 01:33 PM

80 posts, read 147,783 times
I grew up in Lansing, MI and have family both in the Detroit area and Grand Rapids. I find that winters here on the VT border (Upper Valley) are harsher and snowier -- more comparable to Traverse City, MI. Of course, by the seacoast, it is much milder and less snow. The biggest difference between the midwest winters compared to here is the length and DARKNESS. Pitch black by 4:30 pm in mid-winter. We often see snow in Oct. and through as late as May some years. The Upper Valley averages around 65 inches of snow/year (Concord north is similar.) The north of the state CAN get more snow, but often miss the nor'easters, esp. as you go NW. Yes, there are a lot of winter activities, but not so many if you are in a very rural part. Make sure you get good plowing for your driveways! Cities and towns are excellent in my experience, but not so sure when you are out in the boonies.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:51 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,604,439 times
Quote:
AFAK - Midwestern winters, west of the Great Lakes, are dry, very cold and very, windy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
GregW, as someone who grew up in the Midwest, I can say your comment is mostly correct, but there are some interesting exceptions due to lake effect snow, which is snow on the eastern edge of the great lakes.
GregW said "west of the Great Lakes," which means west of the places that get lake effect.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:58 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
Lived in Minot, North Dakota two different times for 4 years total. I will never complain about cold again after living there. Out of the 1,200+ days I spent there, 252 of them were below zero. Lowest temp while there was -47, and that was without wind chill. Wind chill temps routinely below zero, sometime -45 or -50 below. The wind was insane and would drive you insane. Flat and boring with nothing to stop the wind. It was just as dark there as it is here. Worse actually since the latitude was a bit higher. Snow was about the same as here, but would drift something mad in ND. A truly miserable place for winter. I find nothing redeeming about the midwest.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:38 AM

221 posts, read 484,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveusaf View Post
Lived in Minot, North Dakota two different times for 4 years total. I will never complain about cold again after living there. Out of the 1,200+ days I spent there, 252 of them were below zero. Lowest temp while there was -47, and that was without wind chill. Wind chill temps routinely below zero, sometime -45 or -50 below. The wind was insane and would drive you insane. Flat and boring with nothing to stop the wind. It was just as dark there as it is here. Worse actually since the latitude was a bit higher. Snow was about the same as here, but would drift something mad in ND. A truly miserable place for winter. I find nothing redeeming about the midwest.
My friend lives there with her husband (job in the oil industry). It's already in their 40's during the day And winter screams death. Their living condition in winter sounds like a survivor's game Ya no thanks. At least around here such crazy cold day is very rare and we're talking single digit days with high winds. The rest high 20's means we can bundle up and go play outside
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire