Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2018, 07:52 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,038,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Have you made a similar post in the MA forum?

And having 4 cats may not be a problem if only your husband is working and you are not. A landlord may be reassured if you are around a lot to keep an eye on the cats and be able to clean up after them in a diligent manner. Are they well behaved cats? Are they purebreds?

No I haven't posted in the MA forum. Three are from rescues and one my husband found. They aren't purebred. As for behaved they all use the litter box. One likes to scratch wood . I won't be working.

To whoever put 4 cats==renting not an option in my reputation comments that wasn't necessary since I already said that..

Miu, thank you for responding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2018, 09:58 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
I think that your very first step in this process is figuring out what your housing budget it. Even though Woburn is outside of Boston, housing options all the way into southern NH will be very pricey.

But at least with your husband's shift hours, he won't be caught in rush hour traffic as he will be traveling down into Woburn as the other commuters will be going in the opposite direction leaving Boston.

And about the cats. There are rentals that do take cats, but I wouldn't lead with telling the rental agent or landlord how many you have.

30 years ago, I worked with a woman who kept 13 cats and mostly in her bedroom. All the cats were spayed and neutered. And she had those 13 because she started out by adopting a male cat and two females... and the females turned out to be pregnant... and she kept the kittens. But when visiting her, her room was very clean, fur-free and no cat odors. Her winning system was that she had two litter boxes and would scoop out the box as soon as there was poop or pee in it, then she would spray air freshener. I guess that the smells were manageable while she was at work.

And on the negative side, I knew someone who had cats and over the years occasionally I could smell cat urine on his clothes, even when at times he only was living with one cat. So make sure that you never have that problem.

So anyway, four cats is doable as long as you are on top of the cleaning and... the landlord has faith that you can manage the cleaning up after them. You will most likely have to offer to pay extra as a pet damage deposit.

Old 03-05-2018, 10:00 AM
miu

Otherwise, once you know your budget, start your housing search on craigslist and there is a search option "cats okay" and click on that. Then if you find a listing that you like, come back here for our options on the area.

Old 03-06-2018, 12:54 PM

Yesterday was chaotic. We got approved for a mortgage, informed our agent of our budget and to look for a house. We stopped the sale of our house due to shady business in the contract. It really is important to have a real estate attorney. It's not common here and it should be. We have decided to stay here and I will continue with PT and OT for 6 months and re-evaluate then. I feel so bad for my husband. It was his dream job 3 days on and 4 off.

Thanks for the replies. N.E. is safe for now from 2 crazy EAGLE fans!

Old 03-06-2018, 01:15 PM
miu

Well moving from NJ to NH is a big move. No need to rush. And it gives you time to research NH some more. If you can, you and your husband should use some vacation time to explore NH in the meantime.

Old 03-07-2018, 11:25 AM

124 posts, read 121,619 times
Default Commute times warning

I commuted from southern NH (Bedford) to Woburn, MA every day for three years and I can tell you that the roads you will be on (Rt. 3, Rt. 93 and 128) are very heavily traveled. My 45 mile commute consistently took 90 minutes each way, with longer spikes around holidays and vacation times. That 3-hr round trip can really wear on a person after a while, and you will use ALOT of gas, as your not really getting "highway" miles sitting in traffic.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Well moving from NJ to NH is a big move. No need to rush. And it gives you time to research NH some more. If you can, you and your husband should use some vacation time to explore NH in the meantime.

Thank you for responding and sharing your input. We are planning a vacation for August. We will split the time between Stowe, VT and NH.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetta View Post
I commuted from southern NH (Bedford) to Woburn, MA every day for three years and I can tell you that the roads you will be on (Rt. 3, Rt. 93 and 128) are very heavily traveled. My 45 mile commute consistently took 90 minutes each way, with longer spikes around holidays and vacation times. That 3-hr round trip can really wear on a person after a while, and you will use ALOT of gas, as your not really getting "highway" miles sitting in traffic.

My husband heard it wouldn't be bad because of his shift 7pm to 7am. At this time it doesn't matter. Rush hour in NJ is no picnic either. Over an hour to go 14 miles. Ugh.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:17 PM

Default Update!

Well we are officially residents of NH! My husband got a job in NH and here we are! It happened very fast. Job interview was in June. Sold our home and found a place up here and moved in August. Finally catching our breathe and enjoying this beautiful state! We are so glad to be out of NJ! Our property taxes there were raised again right before the move. Thanks for all the advice. It was most helpful.

Old 09-24-2018, 03:47 PM

500 posts, read 636,212 times
Welcome to NH!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire