Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:17 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
I was going to rep you for a very realistic view of the rent first mantra. I agree with what you say, it is insanely expensive. But Winter is not so bad as you seem to think. The last storm missed us. The sun is shining. Go outside and soak up some vitamin D, it will help your mood.
The sun was shining today and it was 46° as I was driving around this afternoon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 06:25 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Regarding the renting for a year thing: I always recommend this based on my own experience and what I wished that I had done when I moved to NH. Actually, I wish that I had rented for two years. I understand that in many cases it's not a realistic option, but, for the best decision-making for a brand new area, I still think it's the best plan.

Expense is the least of it. If you buy a house in a neighborhood or area you end up not liking, your costs to get out of it are most likely going to be much, much more than you paid out in storage costs and moving vans, believe me. But, regardless of what is suggested, people are going to do what they're going to do. And I'm still going to recommend what I wish I had done, based on my own experience. My mistake cost me, oh, about 50K or so, so what do I know about it?

People can follow this advice or not. No skin off of my nose.

Old 03-23-2018, 11:44 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
And I recommend renting based on the people I've seen who move here from other parts of the country, saying "we love winter," and within 2 years are moving back to a warmer climate while trying frantically to unload the house they bought here. I'm sure board members recall the guy who moved here from Calif last October, didn't want to hear any of our advice, and by March had decided to move to Florida.

Old 03-23-2018, 12:20 PM

500 posts, read 636,436 times
Quote:
NH towns are all so different. It just takes time to explore and evaluate the area. As helpful as everyone is on C-D, there is really no substitute for visiting them in person.
This is why I recommend renting for a year. Not because of experiencing winter or anything else. If you can get a feel for NH by visiting a bunch, then that is awesome. I will say, though, that I put 30k miles a year on my vehicle in NH alone, and believe that I know NH more than most people, yet I am constantly learning new things about the state and the idiosyncrasies of the local towns. NH is different. I've lived in five states and been all over this country numerous times and it's just different here.

Old 03-23-2018, 10:02 PM

87 posts, read 58,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
True. But not impossible.

Almost impossible....perhaps you have a list you could share with people.

Old 03-24-2018, 07:06 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
I wonder how many of the "rent before you buy" advocates have ever done so? The idea may be OK in theory, but in practice, it is expensive and very disruptive - leaving one unsettled for years, and very tough on kids, not to mention the cost. Keep in mind that even corporate relocations rarely cover the cost of the second move, which will cost thousands.

All relocations are full of compromises. You need to think carefully with regard to what is gained vs what is lost, like time and money.

Finally, every major life decision has folks with regrets. Some folks hate their new cars. Do we say they should have rented first?

Old 03-24-2018, 07:19 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,176,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lexie View Post
Almost impossible....perhaps you have a list you could share with people.
A list? Really? I see pet friendly rentals ALL of the time on craigslist. They are in the minority, but they do exist. Of course, it helps if you don't have a pit bull or a pack of dogs or cats. And it also helps if your pets are actually well-behaved ones.

Also,, one could ask a family member or friend to take in the pets while renting and house hunting. And instead of paying them money, offer a barter of free vacation stays in the future NH home.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:22 AM

87 posts, read 58,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
A list? Really? I see pet friendly rentals ALL of the time on craigslist. They are in the minority, but they do exist. Of course, it helps if you don't have a pit bull or a pack of dogs or cats. And it also helps if your pets are actually well-behaved ones.

Also,, one could ask a family member or friend to take in the pets while renting and house hunting. And instead of paying them money, offer a barter of free vacation stays in the future NH home.

I hope this is a joke post.....I find this very offensive.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:34 AM

3,886 posts, read 3,506,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Lexie View Post
I hope this is a joke post.....I find this very offensive.
I thought the same thing, but this poster won't yield any ground. Some people are like that, I guess. Their way is the only way. I hope (s)he rents cars before buying. Appliance too - after all, rent-to-own is sooo convenient.

Old 03-24-2018, 09:54 AM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear99 View Post
I wonder how many of the "rent before you buy" advocates have ever done so? The idea may be OK in theory, but in practice, it is expensive and very disruptive - leaving one unsettled for years, and very tough on kids, not to mention the cost. Keep in mind that even corporate relocations rarely cover the cost of the second move, which will cost thousands.

All relocations are full of compromises. You need to think carefully with regard to what is gained vs what is lost, like time and money.

Finally, every major life decision has folks with regrets. Some folks hate their new cars. Do we say they should have rented first?

I have, and both times I was very glad that I hadn't bought first. However, I didn't have children in tow and corporate reimbursement wasn't a factor in any case. I recognize those may be issues for some, but far less likely for retirees. Most of the inquiries on this board seem to be from people who have no idea what area of NH they want to settle in, not people just trying to decide on a specific neighborhood. I think the likelihood of throwing a dart at a map of NH and hitting your ideal retirement town is pretty small. Between that and the weather, yes, I think renting first is a good idea. Buying a house is a pretty big life decision to get wrong without an easy possibility of a trade-in, unlike a car.

ETA: Apologies to the OP for our digressions. If you care to ask some more questions, we can try to get refocused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire