Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 10:44 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,965,518 times

Advertisements

As some of you may have read in one of my previous posts I mentioned I may be opening up a diner somewhere in New Hampshire.

When I dine out and the service is good most of the time I will Tip about 20% of the bill or even more when I feel the service is exceptional. If the service is poor I will then tip about 10% to 15%.

However, when I stop by Starbucks, and I see that little can that says Tips I am in total revulsion! I do not ever Tip at Starbucks and truly feel they have such Nerve or as they say in Yiddish "[SIZE=5]Chutzpeh!" [/SIZE]
Considering on how expensive a Grande' latte' is like $3.60 or so Am I being unreasonable? Am I the only one who does not Tip at Starbucks? Please help me out! What do you Tip at restaurants vs. Starbucks?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2008, 01:23 AM

12 posts, read 58,419 times
Default tipping

Currently I am not able to use Starbucks Given another option, I'm not sure I would use Starbucks, their monopoly on the 'coffee shop' market, which drives the smaller coffee shops out of business, I don't agree with .... but I guess that is capitalism. Given a choice I would go to the smaller, 'non-chain', 'mom and pop' coffee place (but that is another story) There aren't any Starbucks in Europe or at least in my area....

Back to your comment; as I understand it, tipping has always been for sit-down service. Somehow we have morphed into doing it for basic services, such as making a coffee and such. Why does Starbucks think it is ok and McDonald's not? (I am sure McDonald's has a policy against tips but can you imagine tipping at McDonalds? I can't )

I don't agree with it and would only tip in a Starbucks if the service is awesome with a super friendly worker who went out of their way to make the experience wonderful. Maybe that in of itself is wrong, isn't that 'ideally' what they are supposed to be doing? It almost seems expected sometimes.

Keep in mind that the worker does not get any of the $3.60 that you are paying for the coffee. I do understand where you are coming from though, Starbucks is on the expensive side and tipping just seems like an insult when you feel like you are already paying too much.

~Leah

Old 03-26-2008, 05:08 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,181,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CometVoyager View Post
As some of you may have read in one of my previous posts I mentioned I may be opening up a diner somewhere in New Hampshire.

When I dine out and the service is good most of the time I will Tip about 20% of the bill or even more when I feel the service is exceptional. If the service is poor I will then tip about 10% to 15%.

However, when I stop by Starbucks, and I see that little can that says Tips I am in total revulsion! I do not ever Tip at Starbucks and truly feel they have such Nerve or as they say in Yiddish "[SIZE=5]Chutzpeh!" [/SIZE]
Considering on how expensive a Grande' latte' is like $3.60 or so Am I being unreasonable? Am I the only one who does not Tip at Starbucks? Please help me out! What do you Tip at restaurants vs. Starbucks?

We generally tip 20%. I don't know about the waiters/waitresses in NH, but I know in NY they were payed very low and tips were what made them able to make a living. If the service is bad, then, like you 10-15%, and if the service is REALLY bad, we don't tip at all (that only happened once and it was in NYS). We have one waitress at the diner up here and she's hysterical - great personality, great service, when we have our granddaughter with us, she takes extra time to bring her crayons, something to color while she waits, talks to her like she's a "real person", etc. - she gets 25%

I've never been to a Starbucks, as I can't see any cup of coffee being worth their prices, but I wouldn't tip there or at a Dunkin Donuts, McD's, Wendy's, Subway, etc. We don't have pizza delivery up here, if we did, I would tip the person who delivered it, if we had some other type of food delivered, I would tip the delivery person as well.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:59 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,454,489 times
I don't frequent Starbucks, so I can't help you there. But I do tip 20% for good restaurant service. Less for bad service.

Any idea yet where you may be opening your diner? Best of luck, btw.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 AM

282 posts, read 1,186,983 times
I usually double the tax and throw in a bit extra...so anywhere from 16% to 20%. And...I am in total agreement about Starbucks/DuDo' etc..........I do not put money in those tip jars. They are paid at least minimum wage, but most more than that. They are not paid on the same scale as a waiter/waitress.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:44 AM

793 posts, read 3,123,465 times
Those tip cups are common now from Subway delis to your local ma and pa delis, pizzerias, coffee shops, et al. Some times a franchise's local management has the option of whether these tip cups are allowed or not.
I personally tip 20-25%. 10-15% for bad service. Maybe 2% for VOLUNTARILY bad or rude/indifferent service.

Old 03-26-2008, 01:26 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,144,261 times
I never tip at DD's or Starbucks. Dunkin' Donuts used to have a NO TIP policy but they did away with that.

20% at restaurants, 15% if I'm strapped...(the meal might have cost more than I predicted)....LOL

Old 03-26-2008, 01:45 PM

69 posts, read 356,789 times
The way I see it is that a tip is for individual service and I should expect that the tip goes to the specific employee who helped me. I assume that when I tip 15-20 percent at a restaurant, the waiter or waitress who was assigned to my table gets the entire tip, and when I tip 10 percent after I get my hair cut, the entire tip goes to the stylist who cut my hair.

I sometimes go to a sandwich shop that has a tip jar by the register, but any tip put into the jar has to go into a pot that's split up by the employees. If I tipped, my tip wouldn't go to the person who actually took my order. I'm not going to tip everyone in general. What we need is the City-Data model, where I can click on a specific employee to boost that employee's rating. So for your diner, have a web site, and customers can go there and give virtual tips that the boss can see.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:05 PM

885 posts, read 2,662,530 times
Wow, i'd have expected New Hampshiretes to be more thrifty.

I'll tip 20% at a restaurant or bar that knows me and goes the extra mile - a free drink makes me generous (!).

At a chain restaurant or a new place, you won't see me add more than 15% - which by the way is considered "standard" for good service. 10% for Ms. Grouchy at Applebee's in Portsmouth. She'll figure it out someday.

Bad service: I'll leave a buck. Why? No chance they'll think I just forgot to tip.

At a coffee shop I'll toss some change into the tin on a whim only. More likely at a non-chain store.

Last edited by rmcewan; 03-26-2008 at 08:53 PM..

Old 03-26-2008, 08:08 PM

885 posts, read 2,662,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timunh View Post
The way I see it is that a tip is for individual service and I should expect that the tip goes to the specific employee who helped me. I assume that when I tip 15-20 percent at a restaurant, the waiter or waitress who was assigned to my table gets the entire tip, and when I tip 10 percent after I get my hair cut, the entire tip goes to the stylist who cut my hair.
Any place with a bar and you order drinks will usually have an arrangement whereby the waiters shares tips with the bar staff. The waiter didn't pour that great martini... or cook that perfect steak for that matter. Many places have a such a tip-out scheme.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire