Sandwich, New Hampshire
Sandwich: Pretty cow.
Sandwich: Village of Center Sandwich in autumn
Sandwich: Doug's rainbow.
Sandwich: Soft clouds over the mountains
Sandwich: Remnants of the Civil War Era
Sandwich: The Haunted House
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||53.2 years|
|New Hampshire median age:||43.9 years|
Zip codes: 03227.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $34,263 (it was $23,714 in 2000)
Sandwich town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $292,431 (it was $156,600 in 2000)
Races in Sandwich, NH (2010)
- 1,29397.5%White alone
- 141.1%Two or more races
- 70.5%Asian alone
- 20.2%Black alone
- 30.2%American Indian alone
- 10.08%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
|Best/worst NH cities (60 replies)|
|Is it even legal to raise the taxes this much in one year? (72 replies)|
|Question for long-term residents of New Hampshire (28 replies)|
|Ossipee (23 replies)|
|Retiring in New England (20 replies)|
|retirement in NH (11 replies)|
Latest news from Sandwich, NH collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (41.1%), Irish (14.0%), German (12.7%), Scottish (10.8%), French (8.6%), Italian (6.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1763
Elevation: 795 feet
Land area: 90.6 square miles.
Population density: 15 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Sandwich:
- High school or higher: 94.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 39.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 16.4%
- Unemployed: 1.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sandwich town:
- Never married: 15.9%
- Now married: 63.9%
- Separated: 0.6%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 12.0%
23 residents are foreign born
According to our research of New Hampshire and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Sandwich, New Hampshire as of August 30, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Sandwich to the number of sex offenders is 1,331 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Sandwich town:||1.3% ($2,006)|
|New Hampshire:||2.3% ($2,946)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (58.0 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (105.3 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (240.9 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Center Sandwich, NH (1.1 miles) , Suissevale, NH (2.8 miles ), Moultonborough, NH (2.8 miles ), Center Harbor, NH (3.0 miles ), Tamworth, NH (3.1 miles ), Waterville Valley, NH (3.1 miles ), Holderness, NH (3.2 miles ), Campton, NH (3.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 1998: 7 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 1999: 7 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2000: 7 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2001: 8 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2002: 11 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2003: 12 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2004: 13 buildings, average cost: $130,700
- 2006: 9 buildings, average cost: $171,000
- 2007: 6 buildings, average cost: $171,000
- 2008: 9 buildings, average cost: $182,400
- 2009: 6 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2010: 5 buildings, average cost: $165,900
- 2011: 5 buildings, average cost: $172,800
- 2012: 5 buildings, average cost: $184,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.82 N, Longitude: 71.43 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 603
|Crime rates in Sandwich by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 294.7)||50.5||94.3||85.7||99.3||120.6||140.6||128.0||157.7||107.2||190.7||219.1||249.8||98.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Sandwich detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.52|
|New Hampshire average:||2.16|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (34%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (4%)
- Other transportation, and support activities, and couriers (4%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Health care (6%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Carpenters (12%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (3%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (10%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (3%)
Average climate in Sandwich, New Hampshire
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sandwich-area historical tornado activity is below New Hampshire state average. It is 70% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/18/1963, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 19.3 miles away from the Sandwich town center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 7/3/1972, a category F2 tornado 28.0 miles away from the town center injured 7 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Sandwich-area historical earthquake activity is near New Hampshire state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 122.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 145.5 miles away from Sandwich center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 24.0 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 25.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 40.1 miles away from Sandwich center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 121.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Carroll County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 10, Snows: 4, Hurricanes: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tornado: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: John Wentworth (mayor).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sandwich:
- Plymouth State University (about 14 miles; Plymouth, NH; Full-time enrollment: 4,838)
- NHTI-Concord's Community College (about 42 miles; Concord, NH; FT enrollment: 2,865)
- Dartmouth College (about 44 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 48 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of New Hampshire-Main Campus (about 54 miles; Durham, NH; FT enrollment: 15,243)
- Southern New Hampshire University (about 55 miles; Manchester, NH; FT enrollment: 16,552)
- University of New England (about 59 miles; Biddeford, ME; FT enrollment: 4,539)
Notable locations in Sandwich: Black Mountain Pond Shelter (A), Mead Wilderness Base Organization Camp (B), Camp Hale (C), Sandwich Fairgrounds (D), Sandwich Fire Rescue Department Central Station (E), Sandwich Fire Rescue Department White Face Station (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Sandwich include: Friends Church (A), East Sandwich Chapel (B), White Church (C), Federated Church (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Little Pond Cemetery (1), Hubbard Cemetery (2), Elm Hill Cemetery (3), Grove Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Hall Ponds (A), Intervale Pond (B), Kiah Pond (C), Kusumpe Pond (D), Teacup Lake (E), Little Pond (F), Miles Pond (G), Barville Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: White Brook (A), Whiteface River (B), Heath Brook (C), Pond Brook (D), Meadow Brook (E), Burrows Brook (F), Eastman Brook (G), Cook Brook (H), Captain Neal Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Sandwich include: Center Sandwich Historic District (1), Lower Corner Historic District (2), Thompson Sanctuary (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 49.7. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2000 was 23.8. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 16.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 6.56. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 17.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.1 people|
|New Hampshire:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Sandwich compared to New Hampshire state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New Hampshire average:||10.9|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (61%)
- Wood (22%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Electricity (4%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Sandwich town (based on Carroll County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Carroll County:||4.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Carroll County:||2.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||1.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Carroll County:||8.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||24.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.70 / 10,000 pop.|
6.00% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($50,713 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.07%|
0.05% of residents moved from foreign countries ($306 average AGI)
Carroll County: 0.05% New Hampshire average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Strafford County, NH||0.54% ($31,833 average AGI)|
|from Belknap County, NH||0.44% ($34,472)|
|from Rockingham County, NH||0.37% ($98,640)|
6.32% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($39,207 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.45%|
0.07% of residents moved to foreign countries ($744 average AGI)
Carroll County: 0.07% New Hampshire average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Sandwich:
- WPNH (1300 AM; 5 kW; PLYMOUTH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WASR (1420 AM; 5 kW; WOLFEBORO, NH; Owner: RADIO WOLFEBORO, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WEZS (1350 AM; 5 kW; LACONIA, NH; Owner: GARY W. HAMMOND)
- WGIN (930 AM; 10 kW; ROCHESTER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sandwich:
- WSCY (106.9 FM; MOULTONBOROUGH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WPNH-FM (100.1 FM; PLYMOUTH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WLKZ (104.9 FM; WOLFEBORO, NH; Owner: TELE-MEDIA COMPANY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, L.L.C.)
- WMEA (90.1 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WNHI (93.3 FM; BELMONT, NH; Owner: CONCORD BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WLNH-FM (98.3 FM; LACONIA, NH; Owner: WLNH RADIO, INC)
- WEVH (91.3 FM; HANOVER, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO INC)
- WMWV (93.5 FM; CONWAY, NH; Owner: MT. WASHINGTON RADIO & GRAMOPHONE, L.L.C.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WVMJ (104.5 FM; CONWAY, NH; Owner: MT. WASHINGTON RADIO & GRAMOPHONE, L.L.C.)
- WBLM (102.9 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
TV broadcast stations around Sandwich:
- WMTW-TV (Channel 8; POLAND SPRING, ME; Owner: WMTW BROADCAST GROUP, LLC)
- WCSH (Channel 6; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: PACIFIC AND SOUTHERN COMPANY, INC.)
- WMEA-TV (Channel 26; BIDDEFORD, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WGME-TV (Channel 13; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: WGME LICENSEE, LLC)
- Sandwich, New Hampshire
- Fatal accident count9
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents11
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:5
- Persons involved in fatal accidents19
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents0
- New Hampshire average
- Fatal accident count64
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents93
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons29
- Persons involved in fatal accidents155
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents4
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 27Number of bridges
- 30m98ftTotal length
- $67,500,000Total costs
- 20,410Total average daily traffic
- 1,651Total average daily truck traffic
- 30,208Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1Before 1900
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:3
- JOHN MONDAY, 83 Palmer Hill Rd (Lat: 43.798944 Lon: -71.361889), Type: 25.6, Overall height: 25.6 m
Registrant: 4692297471, Lg5201@att.Com, 5601 LEGACY DRIVE, MS: A-3
- John E Monday, 83 Palmer Hill Rd (Lat: 43.798944 Lon: -71.361889), Type: 25.6, Overall height: 25.6 m
Registrant: 4692297471, Fccmw@att.Com, 5601 LEGACY DRIVE, MS: A-3, Phone: (You) ngb-lood
- John E Monday, 83 Palmer Hill Rd (Lat: 43.798944 Lon: -71.361889), Type: 25.6, Structure height: 33003 m, Overall height: 25.6 m
Registrant: 9722347003, Fccmw@att.Com, 2200 N. GREENVILLE AVE., 1W, Phone: (You) ngb-lood
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Fire Station Rt 109 Near Rt 113 (Lat: 43.808417 Lon: -71.438139), Call Sign: KLI380
Assigned Frequencies: 33.9000 MHz
Grant Date: 01/09/2003, Expiration Date: 03/23/2013
Registrant: Federal Licensing Inc, 1588 Fairfield Rd, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (717) 334-9262, Fax: (717) 334-6440
- Village Fire Dept Church St (Lat: 43.807306 Lon: -71.437028), Call Sign: KCI318, Licensee ID: L00008549
Assigned Frequencies: 31.9000 MHz
Grant Date: 08/08/2001, Expiration Date: 09/18/2011, Cancellation Date: 11/19/2003
Registrant: The State Of New Hampshire, Department Of Resources And Economic Development, 172 Pembroke Road, Concord, NH 03302-1856, Phone: (603) 271-2217, Fax: (603) 271-6488, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: K1ZKJ, Licensee ID: L00298515
Grant Date: 12/18/2004, Expiration Date: 03/17/2015, Certifier: William T Gill Iii
Registrant: William T Gill Iii, 250 Mountain Rd, Sandwich, NH 03227
- Call Sign: KA1EIJ, Licensee ID: L01095098
Grant Date: 12/15/2005, Expiration Date: 02/16/2016, Certifier: Donald R Casey
Registrant: Donald R Casey, 147 Mountain Rd, Sandwich, NH 03227
- Call Sign: KB1OKK, Licensee ID: L01240256
Grant Date: 01/29/2007, Expiration Date: 01/29/2017, Certifier: Louis G Brunelle
Registrant: Louis G Brunelle, 32 Palmer Hill Rd, Sandwich, NH 03227
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Businesses in Sandwich, NH
- MasterBrand Cabinets: 2
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2015.