Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2018, 11:01 AM

613 posts, read 944,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDroz View Post
Hello all,

I feel like I have concluded my search for a place I'd finally like to settle down in. After surveying all the options in the US, I've decided that New Hampshire is probably where I'd be happiest. The reasons are: geography, 4 seasons, low crime, libertarian type of living, low taxes and good wages.

In no other state have I found this combination.

Currently I live in Upstate NY. I have been ready to get out for years now. I have gotten my affairs in order and am ready to move.

I realize there are several threads on this topic, but every one is based on that individual's situation and preferences. My situation is pretty simple. I am 30, male, single, healthcare professional, and would like to live in a conservative and clean city with access to mountains, beaches, and a big city like Boston perhaps.

I applied to a job in Portsmouth and am about to apply to a job in Concord. Any suggestions are appreciated.
Have you ever been to New Hampshire? And you say you want a "libertarian type of living"--what does that mean, exactly? Is NH any more "libertarian" than Upstate NY? And I don't know that Portsmouth is a "conservative" city. I really like it--very cool small city with lots of great restaurants, etc. And you're on the NH Seacoast. But I was never trying to judge whether it was "liberal"--or "conservative".

You can look up NH voting in the 2016 election, town by town, if you want, Dem. vs Rep. Personally I'd just find a job and an area that I liked.......maybe don't try to judge every area on whether everyone agrees with you politically......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2018, 11:23 AM

117 posts, read 127,952 times
Not really man, I wish I could. I tried to like living in NH and ordinarily I would but the big BUT is housing availability. Its terrible like most of New England.

I am 38 and I am leaving soon if thats any indication, never to look back with the entire NE in the rear view mirror. I can't see a damn thing that would bring me back. When I came back, I had the NH or bust attitude, NH busted.. MA isn't for me, CT sure isn't, I like Providence RI but still, you're pretty limited around here no matter and dont listen to the people who will try to point you to Portsmouth NH either. Don't go, too expensive, waste of time.

If it wasn't for any family obligation, I wouldn't have come back to begin with. Its priced out in New England, theres nowhere to run anymore so keep that in mind.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:35 AM

88 posts, read 89,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodyWW View Post
Have you ever been to New Hampshire? And you say you want a "libertarian type of living"--what does that mean, exactly? Is NH any more "libertarian" than Upstate NY? And I don't know that Portsmouth is a "conservative" city. I really like it--very cool small city with lots of great restaurants, etc. And you're on the NH Seacoast. But I was never trying to judge whether it was "liberal"--or "conservative".

You can look up NH voting in the 2016 election, town by town, if you want, Dem. vs Rep. Personally I'd just find a job and an area that I liked.......maybe don't try to judge every area on whether everyone agrees with you politically......
No I have not yet been to NH, but like what I see on paper and in pictures.

What does "libertarian" mean? I'll leave that for you to research.

You can ignore politics if you wish, but politics will not ignore you.

I'm fine with whatever voting patterns there are in New Hampshire. As long as there is low crime, cleanliness, good school systems, and relatively limited government I am happy. Those are indications of a functioning and healthy community. It is a strong selling point of NH to me.

Upstate NY is a rotting, communist, ****hole in my opinion. Some parts a beautiful, especially around the Adirondacks and Finger Lake region. Those areas I would enjoy visiting in the future, but that's about it.

Old 10-10-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingNewEngland View Post
Not really man, I wish I could. I tried to like living in NH and ordinarily I would but the big BUT is housing availability. Its terrible like most of New England.

I am 38 and I am leaving soon if thats any indication, never to look back with the entire NE in the rear view mirror. I can't see a damn thing that would bring me back. When I came back, I had the NH or bust attitude, NH busted.. MA isn't for me, CT sure isn't, I like Providence RI but still, you're pretty limited around here no matter and dont listen to the people who will try to point you to Portsmouth NH either. Don't go, too expensive, waste of time.

If it wasn't for any family obligation, I wouldn't have come back to begin with. Its priced out in New England, theres nowhere to run anymore so keep that in mind.
Can you elaborate? Is the housing availability your only complaint? Where did you come from and where are you moving to?

Old 10-10-2018, 11:54 AM

Quote:
No I have not yet been to NH, but like what I see on paper and in pictures.

What does "libertarian" mean? I'll leave that for you to research.

You can ignore politics if you wish, but politics will not ignore you.

I'm fine with whatever voting patterns there are in New Hampshire. As long as there is low crime, cleanliness, good school systems, and relatively limited government I am happy. Those are indications of a functioning and healthy community. It is a strong selling point of NH to me.

Upstate NY is a rotting, communist, ****hole in my opinion. Some parts a beautiful, especially around the Adirondacks and Finger Lake region. Those areas I would enjoy visiting in the future, but that's about it.

NH no doubt looks better when comparing to Upstate NY, no f'n question but the complications I listed could still get in the way of a NH move unless you're used to crappy and crummy, low available housing especially Upstate there. I been to Plattsburgh, thats a total crap hole area. Dannemora prison, just shoot me if I had to live up there!

One more thing, you also may not find NH as libertarian as you'd like. I came there hoping for the same thing, came there to "live free or die" but that long term plan wasn't the greatest one. You will find many democrats native to NH even depending where you go. DO NOT Move to Keene or Brattleboro, the latter being the worst of the 2 for sure.

IF you can get availability or a decent apartment or house share, look at Milford NH. I like that town. Just wasn't a lot to rent there and the place closest to there that I got, you do not want to rent. The home owner is a registered sex offender so again, NH is better than Upstate NY but you still may have some complications you won't think will get in the way, get in the way.

DO NOT think police are not around as much up in NH, they are hiding out everywhere. They're worse in Cheshire county than anywhere I'd say or one time a statie bagged me up there and was rude as hell, had the look on like he wanted to kill someone that day. And that was just for navigating, not talking on a cell phone. All this crap like "whatchu doin here"? If you live around here why you got Brookline on your insurance?? wheres your job interview? why dont you know the name of it?? It was the worst encounter I Had with a cop here. I got pulled by a Brookline and an Amherst one also and both were not nearly as bad. I had a dealing with a Nashua cop or 2, I'd say they're a good dept and generally won't bother you.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:03 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,042 times
Quote:

My thought is that "left leaning" people in New Hampshire are probably far more conservative than they realize, comparatively speaking to the "left leaning" lunatics found elsewhere in the country.

Mmmm....not so sure this is really true. But, I see you did say in a later post that you are okay with whatever voting patterns are here.

Certainly, as is true in Mass., there is a fairly large number of upper-middle class people who vote democratic who in reality are quite "NIMBY" and actually fairly racist. This is a real thing, I have known people like this my entire life. However, there are also plenty of liberals who vote democratic and their values align closely with the way they vote. They really internalize their idealistic views.

I think that it may be more accurate to say that conservatives here are more liberal than conservatives in other parts of the country (many fiscal conservatives who are somewhat liberal on social issues) than that the liberals here are more conservative.

And there are plenty of "lunatics" here, although of course it depends on your perspective. But in 2016/2017, there were numerous cities and even small towns absolutely freaking out about Trump and trying to declare themselves "sanctuary" cities and towns, and some where successful. This includes tiny towns that have probably never had an illegal immigrant step foot in them, but the residents wanted to "send a message."

And I was just reading an article from the local news channel about how the demographics of state employees pretty match the demographics of the overall state population, when it comes to minority status, which I would think would be the ideal. But, apparently there is a movement, actually within the government (and we have a Republican governor), to "diversify" the employee demographics. I'm not sure why this is important... I can kind of understand if the percentage of minorities in state government were lower than the percentage in the overall population, but that isn't the case.

Not trying to start a political debate here, but just be aware... so many people come on here wanting to move to NH for a "libertarian" lifestyle, and I think they have an unrealistic view of what it is like. That is doubly true if you're looking to move into one of the cities. There are big things and little things... movements to ban plastic bags, plastic straws, Dover just raised the age to purchase cigarettes to 21... I don't condone smoking but that doesn't seem very "free" to me.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:07 PM

830 posts, read 1,538,042 times
FYI, regarding a post above, Brattleboro is not in NH. It is across the border in VT.

And there's always a housing shortage if you can't afford housing. There is actually low inventory and low vacancy rates. But for most people it is not at all the problem LeavingNewEngland suggests it is.

Old 10-10-2018, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
Mmmm....not so sure this is really true. But, I see you did say in a later post that you are okay with whatever voting patterns are here.

Certainly, as is true in Mass., there is a fairly large number of upper-middle class people who vote democratic who in reality are quite "NIMBY" and actually fairly racist. This is a real thing, I have known people like this my entire life. However, there are also plenty of liberals who vote democratic and their values align closely with the way they vote. They really internalize their idealistic views.

I think that it may be more accurate to say that conservatives here are more liberal than conservatives in other parts of the country (many fiscal conservatives who are somewhat liberal on social issues) than that the liberals here are more conservative.

And there are plenty of "lunatics" here, although of course it depends on your perspective. But in 2016/2017, there were numerous cities and even small towns absolutely freaking out about Trump and trying to declare themselves "sanctuary" cities and towns, and some where successful. This includes tiny towns that have probably never had an illegal immigrant step foot in them, but the residents wanted to "send a message."

And I was just reading an article from the local news channel about how the demographics of state employees pretty match the demographics of the overall state population, when it comes to minority status, which I would think would be the ideal. But, apparently there is a movement, actually within the government (and we have a Republican governor), to "diversify" the employee demographics. I'm not sure why this is important... I can kind of understand if the percentage of minorities in state government were lower than the percentage in the overall population, but that isn't the case.

Not trying to start a political debate here, but just be aware... so many people come on here wanting to move to NH for a "libertarian" lifestyle, and I think they have an unrealistic view of what it is like. That is doubly true if you're looking to move into one of the cities. There are big things and little things... movements to ban plastic bags, plastic straws, Dover just raised the age to purchase cigarettes to 21... I don't condone smoking but that doesn't seem very "free" to me.
Thank you for pointing all of that out. It is unfortunate that many residence felt the need to virtue signal in such a ridiculous way after Trump's election. Ditto for the idiotic governor seeking to "diversify" the government despite the fact that the demographics of government workers reflect the demographics of the population.

People can play these silly mind games with themselves all they want. As long as they don't put into action policies and agendas which lead to crime, an unkempt environment, destruction of the quality of the school systems, jeopardize safety of native residents, or significantly alter the culture, then I can tolerate the silly mind games and self-delusion.

I suppose it isn't as "free" as I assumed if they can restrict cigarette buying like that. I was making some assumptions based on what I was told by a co-worker who lived and worked in NH for a few years. He told me it is a slightly different way of life there. One point of his was how easy it was for him to get a gun, but he also just went about how there was more of a cultural emphasis of self-sufficiency. For what it's worth he lived in Hanover. Also, a few articles I read online pointed out how business friendly NH is. All very appealing points to me and signs of a community that aligns with my preferences.

I'm still sold on it, but I guess slightly disappointed, which is ok because that's just life. Thanks for the reality check.

Last edited by AirDroz; 10-10-2018 at 12:47 PM..

Old 10-10-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowbell76 View Post
FYI, regarding a post above, Brattleboro is not in NH. It is across the border in VT.

And there's always a housing shortage if you can't afford housing. There is actually low inventory and low vacancy rates. But for most people it is not at all the problem LeavingNewEngland suggests it is.

The problem is is that you have trouble seeing the alternative media side of things. I am alternative media. This reality does exist, just because most don't see it does not at all mean its not there. Many are lucky enough to never see what I describe and rarely leave their NH bubble. I been more places than most of these people.

Old 10-10-2018, 01:26 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,662,281 times
Air Droz,

I would seriously encourage you to spend some time in NH before committing to a move here. Each region is very different, from housing to attitudes to amenities to climate. You indicated that you were looking for a "clean city" but some of the places being discussed here like Lebanon, Hanover, Laconia, and Tilton have populations of 3K-15K and may barely qualify as a medium town to you. It is easier to get a gun here, and self-sufficiency is both admired as well as necessary in the more rural areas. Also be aware that LeavingNE has been vigorously trashing the state here this week, so take what one person says with a grain of salt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire