Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 03:48 PM

21 posts, read 26,372 times

Advertisements

Going with wife to "discover" the surrounding areas. We are looking to purchase lake/ski house in coming years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2018, 03:53 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,000 times
It is beautiful there! We drove through last weekend and the foliage was simply fantastic!

I would hike Mount Sunapee, so I'm not much help. There is Mt Sunapee State Park, but I'm not sure that's what you're looking for.

I hope you enjoy the area!

Old 10-11-2018, 04:05 PM

We are 100% going to hike. Looking for maybe towns 30nmin away to check out. Are there any good restaurants, towns, nightlife etc?

Old 10-11-2018, 04:23 PM

83 posts, read 114,224 times
I used to live nearby in Sutton. My in-laws used to rent a lake house in Sunapee whenever they visited us. They are not the types to hang out around the home, so they ended up driving to Concord or further pretty much every day when they weren't at our house, in order to find something to do. It is pretty, but a very quiet area with not much going on aside from the mountain and lake. For nightlife, Concord or Lebanon would be closest, but you might need to go as far as Manchester, depending on what you are looking for for nightlife.

There is not a huge selection in restaurants, especially this time of year. Bubba's nearby in Newbury is nice and right across from the lake, so you get some great views. Peter Christian's Tavern in New London usually has pretty good pub fare. They were closed for almost a year for a big remodel, but they finally reopened about a month ago. For breakfast food and coffee, Tucker's in New London is popular.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:59 AM

104 posts, read 139,148 times
Do you like knitting and hooking rugs? There's the Dorr Woolen Mill.
https://dorrmillstore.com/

I love New London, not sure how it is now with the school in session and the playhouse closed.

As for restaurants there is the Appleseed Inn in Bradford. (Also in Bradford there is/was the Bradford Junction diner but I think it's closed for good.) Bradford also has Books By the Lake if you're into used book stores.
Appleseed Restaurant | CASUAL COUNTRY DINING
Books by the Lake Homepage

I also like the Brickhouse restaurant in Hillsborough.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Hampshire.html

For breakfast I like the Intervale Pancake House in Henniker.
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura...Hampshire.html

Old 10-14-2018, 03:31 PM

Thanks for all the help great trip! We hiked and visited all the towns. We are excited to visit again and keep searching. We need a town at least as big as lebanon to be close to. We liked Concord main st. We probably will hit up concord anf surrounding areas next time a bit longer..... We are looking for something that we could enjoy and do a short term rental on when not there.

Old 10-14-2018, 03:48 PM

1,412 posts, read 1,017,000 times
So glad you enjoyed your weekend! We hiked Mt Sunapee this weekend and had a very good time. So pretty up there! We walked down one of the ski trails and the views were amazing the whole way down! We were very glad that we made that call.

I spent a fair amount of time in Concord some 20 years ago - also a great area!

Old 10-16-2018, 08:32 AM

500 posts, read 636,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcangelo41 View Post
Thanks for all the help great trip! We hiked and visited all the towns. We are excited to visit again and keep searching. We need a town at least as big as lebanon to be close to. We liked Concord main st. We probably will hit up concord anf surrounding areas next time a bit longer..... We are looking for something that we could enjoy and do a short term rental on when not there.

You guys been to the Lakes Region yet? Way more going on around Gilford, Laconia and Meredith area than Sunapee. Gunstock is also here for skiing, and forty-five minutes north and you are skiing in the Whites.

Old 10-16-2018, 07:29 PM

I'm looking for a rental property we can buy 4 hours from NYC. I love north Conway but its a touch too far from us even though it has everything we want. As far as Laconia area it seems like its too far...maybe I need to save up for a sea plane? So we can make the commute in time

Old 10-16-2018, 09:38 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
4 hours isn't going to get you any further than Keene, unless speed limits are shattered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire