Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2018, 10:16 PM

4 posts, read 3,446 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me where in Southern NH/MA border I could camp out for a month or 2? I recently fell on hard times, I'm not a drug user, alcoholic, nor do I have a mental illness, I just suddenly ran from an abusive relationship. I have a car, a tent & a job I just need somewhere secluded & private I can stay for a month or 2 so I can save up & get a new place. I won't stay in a shelter or anything like that I dont feel there safe & some of the people are well... Not like me. Every place I've tried I've been harassed by the police & I've not made any noise, no fires, no trash, no nothing, its been difficult as I need my car to be with me so I can get back&forth to work. Sadly the neighbors on Friars Dr felt they needed to go out of their way to report my car for being parked behind an abandoned building out of sight & proceeded to follow & stalk me into the public woods to report my tent which was completely hidden so if someone could please help me!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2018, 07:48 AM
KCZ

4,678 posts, read 3,673,320 times
Here's a list of campgrounds. The listings tell which are 4 seasons, but this is a tough time of year to camp in a tent unless you're experienced in winter camping with cold weather gear. Have you specifically tried a women's shelter for abused women (assuming you are female)? They take safety seriously, tend to attract a clientele that's not as rough as those in a regular shelter, and have resources to help you transition to permanent housing. Tenting on public property or behind abandoned buildings is probably the least safest of all.

Find Campgrounds in NH - Search Online Directory | New Hampshire Campground Owners Association
https://www.google.com/search?q=camp...nt=firefox-b-1

https://www.google.com/search?q=wome...firefox-b-1-ab

Old 11-10-2018, 10:55 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,676,571 times
Wink Overnight tenting in December or January? Not sure that's safe nor sane.

Not even at the southernmost reach of New Hampshire would I spend the night in a tent in December or January.

I've been out in the predawn hours of January for night coyote season, and even awake, moving, and wearing layers of technical insulation, it's rough.

Old 11-10-2018, 06:14 PM

477 posts, read 900,197 times
Just because land is open does not mean it is public. If you were squatting on private prooerty, they were right to move you along.

Old 11-10-2018, 09:37 PM

Yes I did try a woman's shelter there were no beds available. I am experienced in winter camping so that's not a problem however I won't need to camp out any longer than December. & the woods I was camping in not squatting were not private & the only thing posted was no hunting. Thank you for your responses I greatly appreciate it

Old 11-11-2018, 07:19 AM

4,565 posts, read 10,661,041 times
Walmart parking lot

Old 11-11-2018, 09:30 AM

Can't post a tent in Walmart parking lot but thank you. Also no 4 season camp ground near MA border. If anyone has any helpful information on a place I'd greatly appreciate it

Old 11-11-2018, 10:21 AM

2,676 posts, read 2,629,828 times
You can try Catholic Charities:

https://www.cc-nh.org/programs/outreach/

I don't know this particular branch, but many help find temporary places to stay.

Good luck, I hope it works out well.

Old 11-11-2018, 11:34 AM

1,370 posts, read 2,182,993 times
While I empathize with your situation, you should know that the only "public" lands in New Hampshire are federal, state and town parks and campgrounds and the like - everything else is privately owned. Just because there is a large area of woods that has no buildings doesn't mean it is public land. For instance, the large forest area you are talking about behind Friars Road in Hudson is privately owned by 5 Way Realty Trust. You're not going to find any public camping in southern New Hampshire, so you need a different plan.

I think, like others, that you should search for some kind of shelter living. As you said, it's only for a couple of months. Check into other types of assistance, like soup kitchens, or even check with the Town to see if they know of any assistance. Here's a link to the Nashua Soup Kitchen & Shelter: http://www.nsks.org/shelter__housing_.aspx

Alternatively, I don't know what kind of car you have, but I follow a lot of YouTube channels of people who live in vans and RVs, and there are many people who live in their cars - all kinds of cars. I think you might find it easier (and probably warmer) to stealth camp on streets in your car. A lot of these people get Planet Fitness memberships so they can shower. Link to videos of people living in their cars: https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...g+in+car+setup Do you have friends who would let you park occasionally in their driveways? Perhaps you can do a little of both, stealth in your car, shelters on other nights.

Best of luck to you, whatever you do.

Old 11-11-2018, 01:48 PM

32,944 posts, read 36,386,492 times
Maybe there's something here: https://www.needhelppayingbills.com/...ional_hou.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire