Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2018, 02:08 PM

9 posts, read 6,343 times

Advertisements

I will be relocating from Connecticut soon for a job based in Manchester. I will need internet access for work for facilities across the nation.

How far west of Manchester is 100megabit up/down available. And how far North of Concord?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2018, 03:18 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
It depends on the individual house in any specific town. Provider coverage maps aren't particularly reliable. The best way to insure you can get high speed internet is that the house under consideration already has it. What towns are you considering and we can help you more specifically?

Old 11-29-2018, 04:59 PM

Thank you for taking the time to reply. The position is just west of Manchester. I know I have to be more specific but my considerations were:

I wanted a 30 minute max commute at 730am on a summer Monday morning from anywhere north or west of Manchester from a house with for a single person less than 290K. Google maps reports the Concord exit is about 26 minutes to the job.

A friend warned me about limited high speed internet access. Access is very essential to my job.

Old 11-29-2018, 07:55 PM

83 posts, read 114,224 times
Like KCZ said, it is going to vary on a town by town basis (and even within towns) a lot more than just looking at distance from Manchester or Concord.

When I lived northwest of Concord in the I-89 corridor, towns were transitioning to Gigabit fiber so super high speed internet was available. In terms of towns west of Manchester, the Monadnocks are not known for the best internet access, but it will still depend on the town. Last I heard, Hillsborough was a town where half the town could get Gigabit fiber, and the other half the town was lucky to get 10megabit.

As for North of Concord, I live far north of Concord (1 hour and 20 minutes north) and have no problem getting reliable 100megabit internet. I can't speak for towns closer in, but further out or closer in doesn't always mean much for internet connectivity. You are better off asking about specific towns or better yet, confirming with internet providers and homeowners where you are looking.

Last edited by 247crw; 11-29-2018 at 08:10 PM..

Old 11-29-2018, 08:16 PM

4,565 posts, read 10,658,413 times
You should be more worried about reliable electricity. Internet is kinda useless if you dont have electricity. Its possible to loose electricity for a day or more in the winter. Most I've lost electricity for is 2 weeks. Trees fall on power lines, sometimes takes a while to repair.

Think about battery backups and cell phone internet for temp blackouts.

Old 11-29-2018, 09:06 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Post I'm two towns west of Manchester, Comcast recently upgraded my service to +160Mbps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Provider coverage maps aren't particularly reliable. The best way to insure you can get high speed internet is that the house under consideration already has it.
That's the secret -- don't trust maps or "pre-qualification" if home Internet is important to your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 399083453 View Post
You should be more worried about reliable electricity. Internet is kinda useless if you dont have electricity. Its possible to loose electricity for a day or more in the winter. Most I've lost electricity for is 2 weeks. Trees fall on power lines, sometimes takes a while to repair.

Think about battery backups and cell phone internet for temp blackouts.
Everybody out here has a generator, and a wood stove.

Utility power goes out a couple of times every winter, sometimes for more than a day. Usually by the second day, cable goes out entirely, and I have to fall back to 4Mbps Cellular (LTE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by EthanAllen View Post
I will be relocating from Connecticut soon for a job based in Manchester. I will need internet access for work for facilities across the nation.

How far west of Manchester is 100megabit up/down available. And how far North of Concord?
You're looking for symmetric 100 up / 100 down? That's a tall order for residential service. Comcast maxes out at 10 mbps upload for non-commercial accounts in most NH towns.

Old 11-29-2018, 10:37 PM
KCZ

4,676 posts, read 3,669,799 times
I have Comcast for internet with download of 150 mbps and upload of ~6 mbps, when it actually works. My signal drops out frequently, sometimes as often as 20 times per hour. It's hard to even answer my Email some days. This has been going on for about a year, and despite multiple phone calls to Comcast and 8 useless service visits, they've been pretty disinterested in actually solving the problem. Find another provider if you rely on high-speed internet.

Old 11-30-2018, 07:08 AM

4,569 posts, read 5,674,058 times
Talking I once got so fed up with ISP suckage that I started my own ISP. It didn't suck, but it was a very expensive hobby

Quote:
I have Comcast for internet with download of 150 mbps and upload of ~6 mbps, when it actually works. My signal drops out frequently, sometimes as often as 20 times per hour.
I had pretty much exactly the same experience as you, but with Consolidated Communications née Fairpoint. So I dumped them for Comcast. I track my signal & packet loss, it's fine (except during power outages).

Quote:
It's hard to even answer my Email some days. This has been going on for about a year, and despite multiple phone calls to Comcast and 8 useless service visits, they've been pretty disinterested in actually solving the problem. Find another provider if you rely on high-speed internet.
Sounds like you have a cursed subscriber line. Maybe it's time to move to a town with FiOS? Then your Internet can be crazy fast when it works, and when it doesn't it can burn your house down.

Old 11-30-2018, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
That's the secret -- don't trust maps or "pre-qualification" if home Internet is important to your job.

Everybody out here has a generator, and a wood stove.

Utility power goes out a couple of times every winter, sometimes for more than a day. Usually by the second day, cable goes out entirely, and I have to fall back to 4Mbps Cellular (LTE).

You're looking for symmetric 100 up / 100 down? That's a tall order for residential service. Comcast maxes out at 10 mbps upload for non-commercial accounts in most NH towns.
Thanks for the info/warning.

Old 11-30-2018, 04:56 PM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
You're probably better off looking in Londonderry, Derry, Danville, Brentwood or Epping, south and east of Manchester. Verizon FiOS is available in those communities. Going west and/or north will greatly limit your connectivity choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire