Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2019, 10:03 AM

101 posts, read 97,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
Stay in Mass, that should solve the problem
Stay in Mass? Sorry but I’m NH born and raised!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2019, 05:54 PM
miu

17,721 posts, read 40,284,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippany5 View Post
Stay in Mass? Sorry but I’m NH born and raised!
Where in NH were you born? What is your education and what do you do for work??

It seems to me that the young people that do best in NH are those in the skilled trades. We are a rural state and don't have much to offer in STEM career jobs. If you are a STEM major, then go live in MA.

Honestly, I'd be fine with having less people living in NH full time. I'm fine with seasonal vacationers passing through and keeping NH green and undeveloped.

Old 11-17-2019, 11:25 AM

9,961 posts, read 7,338,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Where in NH were you born? What is your education and what do you do for work??

It seems to me that the young people that do best in NH are those in the skilled trades. We are a rural state and don't have much to offer in STEM career jobs. If you are a STEM major, then go live in MA.

Honestly, I'd be fine with having less people living in NH full time. I'm fine with seasonal vacationers passing through and keeping NH green and undeveloped.
Then we MA folks can drive up and take all the jobs that MGH will create in Salem and the Seacoast as well as the biotech and computer jobs popping up from Concord south.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with skilled trades jobs but even those are affected by STEM. There are plenty of skilled trades building the things needed in tech companies, plenty of math involved in welding, carpentry, plumbing, it's not one or another.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:02 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
Then we MA folks can drive up and take all the jobs that MGH will create in Salem and the Seacoast as well as the biotech and computer jobs popping up from Concord south.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with skilled trades jobs but even those are affected by STEM. There are plenty of skilled trades building the things needed in tech companies, plenty of math involved in welding, carpentry, plumbing, it's not one or another.
Let me say this, the vast majority of STEM career workers have no clue on how to fix their own cars or repair what is broken or needs replacement on their homes. Meanwhile, those who are in the skilled trades are not afraid to buy cheap fixer-uppers and do the work themselves. Knowing how things work and being able to do the work themselves is the easiest and fastest way to build equity on oneself!

My work dollars can go further because I have a 2003 Civic that I purchased for $1500. It's really reliable and the couple of things that broke in the four years I have owned it, my husband was able to fix for me. He is an electrical engineer, but his lifelong passion for motorsports has inspired him to become a self-taught mechanic.

The current crop of millennial STEM majors and careerists seem to be full of adults who are afraid to get their hands dirty, and would rather pay someone else to do the work. In a rural place like NH, if the OP whippany5 is on a budget and wants to thrive in NH, he needs to be able to restore and maintain an older house. NH does have small houses, but they are older and need repairs and updating.

He also asks about the "brain drain", but it's NH's and America's fault for pushing all the students to only consider STEM studies and careers. And also his parents' fault for going blindly along with that academic goal. America needs to stop being a snob about what they think their young people should be doing for work.

Old 11-18-2019, 07:33 PM

9,961 posts, read 7,338,983 times
As I said, I have no issue with people wanting to work in the trades. We need those people to do those jobs and many of them work for STEM companies. People in STEM are also needed in NH - those trades people aren't going to be designing military electronics or developing new treatments.

Old 11-18-2019, 08:02 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
As I said, I have no issue with people wanting to work in the trades. We need those people to do those jobs and many of them work for STEM companies. People in STEM are also needed in NH - those trades people aren't going to be designing military electronics or developing new treatments.
And... as I said, NH doesn't have enough STEM jobs for all the NH born young adults who chose to major in STEM. It's not just me saying it, but NHPR has done shows on why NH students go off to out-of-state colleges to major in STEM, graduate, then stay in around those cities where their colleges were at to work at STEM jobs... and the STEM jobs in those major city areas pay much more than STEM jobs in NH. And they need that higher income in order to be better able to pay off their high student debt.

NH jobs just don't pay as well as similar jobs in Boston, NYC and other major urban areas and markets. Part of the reason is our lower COL here.

And yes, NH has a lot of jobs that they can't fill, however it's mostly non-STEM jobs, skilled trade and the lower unskilled labour market.

It's predicted that America will be facing a major shortage of skilled trade workers. And those jobs can't be filled by immigrant labour. Not by people who can't speak English well and are uneducated.

Old 11-19-2019, 11:10 AM
KCZ

4,698 posts, read 3,731,333 times
Quote:
Let me say this, the vast majority of STEM career workers have no clue on how to fix their own cars or repair what is broken or needs replacement on their homes. Meanwhile, those who are in the skilled trades are not afraid to buy cheap fixer-uppers and do the work themselves. Knowing how things work and being able to do the work themselves is the easiest and fastest way to build equity on oneself!

Seriously? If the contractor who'd built my house had taken a few math and computer classes, I wouldn't have had to replace the unstable staircase he erected. Those STEM classes you repeatedly slam on here have a lot of applications in the skilled trades, in everything from building construction to car repair to cooking.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
And... as I said, NH doesn't have enough STEM jobs for all the NH born young adults who chose to major in STEM. It's not just me saying it, but NHPR has done shows on why NH students go off to out-of-state colleges to major in STEM, graduate, then stay in around those cities where their colleges were at to work at STEM jobs... and the STEM jobs in those major city areas pay much more than STEM jobs in NH. And they need that higher income in order to be better able to pay off their high student debt.

NH jobs just don't pay as well as similar jobs in Boston, NYC and other major urban areas and markets. Part of the reason is our lower COL here.

And yes, NH has a lot of jobs that they can't fill, however it's mostly non-STEM jobs, skilled trade and the lower unskilled labour market.

It's predicted that America will be facing a major shortage of skilled trade workers. And those jobs can't be filled by immigrant labour. Not by people who can't speak English well and are uneducated.
First, I'm not going to tell you my personal info, and I agree that we need trade workers and trade schools are a great solution to this.

I would not make such assumptions about people either, just because somebody has a white collar job doesn't mean they can't/won't do "manual labor".

If NH could bring those people who left to get an education, we would have more residents, a higher taxbase, and more businesses = more jobs. It is not a good idea to just say "to hell with em'" or whatever. Try to bring them back!

Also I don't think buying an older house has anything to do with "success" in NH

NH has a brilliant environment for STEM- BAE, Dyn, Autodesk, engineering firms, and Raytheon nearby in MA etc. the list goes on. STEM majors probably do best in NH.

Old 11-20-2019, 07:55 PM
miu

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Seriously? If the contractor who'd built my house had taken a few math and computer classes, I wouldn't have had to replace the unstable staircase he erected. Those STEM classes you repeatedly slam on here have a lot of applications in the skilled trades, in everything from building construction to car repair to cooking.
Actually, IMO the problem is that all the "smart kids" are pushed to go into STEM, and the dummies are left to go into the trades. It's America's snobbery and looking down on the trades that is causing a brain drain in contractors and tradespeople. We NEED smart people to going into the trades, not those struggling with academics and having learning disabilities.

Old 11-21-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Actually, IMO the problem is that all the "smart kids" are pushed to go into STEM, and the dummies are left to go into the trades. It's America's snobbery and looking down on the trades that is causing a brain drain in contractors and tradespeople. We NEED smart people to going into the trades, not those struggling with academics and having learning disabilities.
You’re not wrong about that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire