Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 08:30 PM

2,674 posts, read 2,627,718 times

Advertisements

Per capita tax burden by state (NH is 46th, bigger is better):
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

Cost of living by state (NH is 36th , smaller is better):
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta.../affordability

These are averages, of course, and how it affects a particular person depends on their specific circumstances.

One thing you can be certain of, though, if NH implements a state income or sales tax, its rank on these lists will get worse, and you will be worse off, no matter who you are or what your circumstances are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2020, 08:14 AM

199 posts, read 181,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdhpa View Post
Per capita tax burden by state (NH is 46th, bigger is better):
https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-burden/20494/

Cost of living by state (NH is 36th , smaller is better):
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta.../affordability

These are averages, of course, and how it affects a particular person depends on their specific circumstances.

One thing you can be certain of, though, if NH implements a state income or sales tax, its rank on these lists will get worse, and you will be worse off, no matter who you are or what your circumstances are.

^^^ This.

Whippany, like I said, personal stories don't trump numbers because for every story like yours, there is a story like the last two closings I had a few weeks ago: One was a 550k home with 3.5k a year property taxes, and the other was a brand new 350k home with 1.5k a year taxes. You personally might not be paying less taxes in NH, but my move to NH, as well as every client I've helped move here from another state, is paying lower taxes than where they came from.

Not having a state income tax is a huge benefit, and that is the reason why NH ranks as one of the lowest tax states. If somebody makes 30k, 40k or 50k a year then they might not appreciate the benefits of not having a state income tax; but to those making 70k, 80k and well north of 100k, the amount you pay in property taxes in NH is nothing compared to the income tax you'd be paying in many other states. Limiting a property tax burden is much easier than limiting an income tax burden because you can live in a town with lower property taxes, you can rent a simple place, you can buy a smaller home or condo, etc.

Last edited by Levi.Dunn; 01-05-2020 at 08:19 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-05-2020, 09:56 AM
KCZ

4,675 posts, read 3,667,429 times
Well put. Our tax structure is very beneficial to well-compensated people moving here from out-of-state. However, having to move to escape escalating property taxes is not the simple thing that you imply for the elderly or disabled.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:23 AM

26,411 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
Well put. Our tax structure is very beneficial to well-compensated people moving here from out-of-state. However, having to move to escape escalating property taxes is not the simple thing that you imply for the elderly or disabled.
The same high very tax towns have generally been that way for decades unless paying off school related bonds for construction in some cases.

Old 01-05-2020, 11:34 AM

199 posts, read 181,279 times
Today as I was driving around and pondering this thread, it hit me that so many people in NH complain about property taxes, but when I lived in states with horrendous income taxes, I rarely heard people complain about them. Maybe part of the reason is because most people are wage earners who work for somebody else, so the income tax is more stealthy in that a little is taken out of each check, rather than opening one ore two large property tax bills and seeing that huge number on the bill.

Anyways, I believe that any taxation is that is not voluntary is theft, and do not believe government-run schools should even exist, so I sympathize with all of you who do not like the high property taxes in NH; however, just because I sympathize with the distain over high property taxes in NH, I cannot ignore facts and the fact is that NH is one of the lowest tax states.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:17 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whippany5 View Post
Merge the school districts into counties like they do in Virginia, Maryland and other places south. It is cheaper, more efficient, eases towns sacrificing good schools for tax increases (even though the jury is still out on that) and reduces bureaucracy...not that that would ever happen.
Yes. There are many towns who share the same high school. Deerfield uses the Concord High School, Chichester and Epsom bus their high school students to Pembroke Academy. Coe-Brown Academy is used by the towns surrounding Northwood.

The problem with that is the costs of bus transportation, and it is not uncommon for there to be a shortage of bus drivers. And in the winter, there are issues with the snowy weather.

Kids just cost a lot of money to the communities that they live in.

Old 01-05-2020, 12:21 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Well I guess that it's not enough to be a lower taxed state when the COL is not cheap as a whole. For the year round residents, heating our homes is pricey. Also our electric rate is high. As I pointed out to an Eversource employee, why should anyone in NH support the Northern Pass project if it doesn't benefit NH residents with lower electric rates?

Old 02-02-2020, 08:18 PM

155 posts, read 136,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
Facts don't care about our feelings
Love this!

Old 02-02-2020, 08:36 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,672,673 times
Post How many people would support the one-chance-opt-out FMLA bill if it meant writing out a $500 check each year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
...so many people in NH complain about property taxes, but when I lived in states with horrendous income taxes, I rarely heard people complain about them. Maybe part of the reason is because most people are wage earners who work for somebody else, so the income tax is more stealthy in that a little is taken out of each check, rather than opening one ore two large property tax bills and seeing that huge number on the bill.
That's one reason I like our current system with the bulk of taxation of residents coming in as three big bills each year (the third being vehicle renewal).

Writing out those big checks to the town makes it harder to rationalize the slow encroachment of new taxes by voting for the "just a few mills on your next tax bill, it's for the children!" proposals when town meeting season comes around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire