Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2008, 08:58 AM

11 posts, read 61,609 times

Advertisements

Hello all! We just moved one year ago from California to Suncook/Pembroke. My kids LOVE the schools and their new friends. I love my job in Concord. I would like to purchase a home of our own, or build one on land here. I have accepted the outragous property taxes that will be part of the homeowner's life. Any suggestions from anyone in regard to build vs. already built? How about vacant land? It seems scarce. How likely is another flood like "the one 2 years ago" ?? Thanks for any input. P.S. I am not rich, single mom, not on welfare. Is $1500-$2000 per month too small to try and accomplish this dream?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 02:34 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,183,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincor4 View Post
Hello all! We just moved one year ago from California to Suncook/Pembroke. My kids LOVE the schools and their new friends. I love my job in Concord. I would like to purchase a home of our own, or build one on land here. I have accepted the outragous property taxes that will be part of the homeowner's life. Any suggestions from anyone in regard to build vs. already built? How about vacant land? It seems scarce. How likely is another flood like "the one 2 years ago" ?? Thanks for any input. P.S. I am not rich, single mom, not on welfare. Is $1500-$2000 per month too small to try and accomplish this dream?
Hello Wincor and welcome to the forum! I can't answer your questions since we live in northern NH, but wanted to acknowledge your post

I'm not sure if Valerie C "covers" your area, but if she sees your post she may be able to help answer your questions about land, etc.

Glad you like NH! We've been here 2 years, so are new to the state as well

Old 05-09-2008, 06:59 AM

951 posts, read 1,658,120 times
Pembroke was on an early list for me. The town has lots of nice places to live. It's a perfect location for a commute to Concord. Check some of the NH real estate sites top look for available land. There is some, but I don't think there are too many sub-divisions being built there. If you find something, now is the time to build. The prices have dropped conciderably for new construction.

There is an area just outside Bear State Park in Allenstown that is still building. They are offering some new homes for under $300k. We looked into them, but decided it was just a bit too far out to commute. There isn't much in the way of grocery stores there either.

I suppose there is always a chance of floods if you live near running water! The last few years have been a bit unusual, but no one can predict the future!

Old 05-09-2008, 07:13 AM

3,859 posts, read 10,337,958 times
Just be careful. NH had 3 major floods in about 18 months. While something like this is rare-areas of Suncook and Alenstown were hit all three times. I remember some people were not yet rebuilding from one of the floods when the next flood came. Do your research and find out if the area you plan on buying in was hit during any of those 3 floods.

Nicolem
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire