Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2008, 07:48 PM

149 posts, read 774,021 times

Advertisements

Trying to figure out the best way to get to NYC from Keene, NH. I am thinking Amtrak but I don't know the area all that well so am not sure where the closest station is. Amtrak lists the following stations in NH:
Berlin
Claremont
Concord
Conway
Dover
Durham
Exeter
Lincoln
Littleton
Manchester
New Hampton
Plymouth
Portsmouth
Tilton

Also, if you have a better suggestion to get to NYC, please feel free to suggest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 08:08 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,170,777 times
The closest station to Keene is actually Brattleboro, Vermont. It's less than a 30 min. drive I believe.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:11 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,730 times
I'm sorry, and joking aside, but if I were trying to go to NYC with any regularity... I wouldn't start from Keene. None of those stations are in the Keene area. Why Keene? just out of curiosity.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:20 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,944,910 times
The only NH Amtrak stops are Exeter, Durham and Dover (out toward the seacoast). The other stations listed are bus terminals, which would get you to Boston's South Station, which is where the Acela departs from.

A better bet for you would probably be to get to Brattleboro, VT to pick up the Vermonter. It's not as fast as the Acela Express, but way more direct for you than driving miles to a bus station, then bus from that station to Boston, then train to NY.

Old 04-25-2008, 08:57 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,956,541 times
I have researched this myself, and found the best way is to go is from Brattleboro, VT.

Old 04-26-2008, 07:30 AM

149 posts, read 774,021 times
we are coming to Keene for a business trip from the mid west and want to go to NYC for a day or two. We won't have a car so we thought maybe train???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
I'm sorry, and joking aside, but if I were trying to go to NYC with any regularity... I wouldn't start from Keene. None of those stations are in the Keene area. Why Keene? just out of curiosity.

Old 04-26-2008, 08:12 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,489,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
we are coming to Keene for a business trip from the mid west and want to go to NYC for a day or two. We won't have a car so we thought maybe train???
we have a rental car company in town, its tiny, but its probably worth it to rent a car and drive to NY cause its faster and you don't have to worry about catching the last train out of the city. Its about a 3 1/2 hour drive and its a 5 hour train ride not including layovers so even if you left at 8 in the morn you're gettin into NY after lunch time and will have enough time just to catch the next train right back to Brattleboro. You're talking 10 hours of train riding ,thats the whole day.. Not worth it.. Go to Boston its closer

Old 04-27-2008, 05:38 AM

885 posts, read 2,660,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyguys View Post
It'd probably be quicker to just go to NYC direct from the midwest after you get back from Keene. I mean St. Louis to JFK is what, 3.5 hours? The Vermonter will take six hours to Penn station!!

Old 04-28-2008, 07:49 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,768,722 times
How are you getting from the midwest to Keene? The nearest major airports are Hartford, CT and Manchester, NH. maybe you could arange to haver a flight from either of these places to a La Guardia in NYC and stay over for a day or so.

Taking the Vermonter would give you a great view of both rural and downtown industrial New England and may just be worth the trip just for itself.

As you won't have a car getting to Brattleboro is just about impossible so just enjoy Keene and put NYC on another trip.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:47 PM

67 posts, read 366,211 times
Ever been to Boston? Or, how about renting a car and coming out to the NH seacoast? On weekends, Enterprise has some great rates. It's 2hrs to the coast. Portsmouth is quaint and lovely and if it's warm you can sit on the decks along the waterfront and have a nice meal and a beverage. Are you looking for a city experience? Or willing to have a nice little New England experience? With a car, you could ride down the coast into some MA coastal spots or up to Maine. There are some lovely beaches and towns along the coast. I went to college in the midwest and being from here, I couldn't wait to take a ride up the coast each time I got home. I agree, make NYC another tirp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire