Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2020, 11:03 AM

8 posts, read 10,564 times

Advertisements

Hi All! I'm an attorney in Philadelphia and my wife and 4 kids (5th on the way!) are thinking about moving the whole operation up to New Hampshire, perhaps in a few years, perhaps sooner if circumstances allow. I'm looking for opinions and experiences on the State in general, the best places to raise a family (my children range from 1 year old to 9 years old), etc.

My wife and I grew up in the central/north New Jersey area (close to New York City) and moved to Philadelphia about 10 years ago. We've been living the urban/mostly urban scene for most of our lives and enjoyed it, but we're getting tired of the hustle and bustle, crime, expense and other aspects of the City and surrounding areas. Not a fan of moving further west in Pennsylvania, as we would like to still be close enough to the coastline, and we have no intentions of moving back to New Jersey. We've been researching potential areas and, at least initially, it looks to us like New Hampshire may have the things we're looking for (i.e., waaaay less crowding, beautiful country side/land, access to the short and ports, access to a major city [Boston] if we decide we need good ethnic food, the ability to get plenty of land, access to mountains and hiking, nice folks, etc).

We were looking at the area in and around New Durham, as it seems like it's close enough to the major business centers for me to find work as an attorney, but still far enough out to have the "more land, closer to nature" life we are looking for as our kids get older. Seems we could also head out to the coast easily and take a trip up to Quebec without too much trouble (my wife lived and taught in France for some time and the kids are all learning French...would be nice to expose them to it without the expense of flying to Europe). I know property taxes are high, but they're high here as well and I have City wage and sales taxes to contend with on top of state income and wage taxes. I think it will, at the least, even out.

It would be a big move, not just because of the change of pace and lifestyle differences vis-a-vis the City, but because of the fact that we know absolutely no one from anywhere near New Hampshire, with exception of a couple we know who moved to Boston a while back, and I would need to make professional connections and get licensed up there to find work before we pack it up. We know it would be quite a change, but think it's what we're looking for.

SO! I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on the above (whether we're simply stupid/crazy or whether it's a great idea, or anything in-between). I would also appreciate anyone's thoughts and experiences regarding the State, the people, the area, which areas are the best, etc. Would really, really love to hear from anyone who has moved from an urban area like ours and any attorneys who are practicing in the area. I currently practice civil litigation with a focus on catastrophic injury.

Thanks for reading this, and thanks for any input!

Last edited by FrankieG83; 06-02-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2020, 02:11 PM

199 posts, read 181,342 times
It's a great idea! I chose NH of all 50 states and moved here sight unseen, and it's one of the best decisions that I have made. My family loves it, and it's a great place to raise a family. The property taxes are high percentage-wise, but what you pay nominally varies by towns in the state, and most people I've helped move here pay less property taxes in NH than where they came from. Even including property taxes, you pay less SALT in NH than 45 other states. NH always ranks in the top for education, quality of life, and safety.

Have you been to NH? If not, I suggest visiting and exploring the state.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
It's a great idea! I chose NH of all 50 states and moved here sight unseen, and it's one of the best decisions that I have made. My family loves it, and it's a great place to raise a family. The property taxes are high percentage-wise, but what you pay nominally varies by towns in the state, and most people I've helped move here pay less property taxes in NH than where they came from. Even including property taxes, you pay less SALT in NH than 45 other states. NH always ranks in the top for education, quality of life, and safety.

Have you been to NH? If not, I suggest visiting and exploring the state.

Thanks for your input! No, we have not been there yet. We are planning on taking a few extra days off prior to the Holiday in September to drive up and take a look at some of the towns we've been looking at and to get a basic, initial feel for the area.

Last edited by FrankieG83; 06-02-2020 at 02:44 PM..

Old 06-02-2020, 06:41 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,391,672 times
Your going to like it. If you can work there, the rest is gravy.

Old 06-02-2020, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouse789 View Post
Your going to like it. If you can work there, the rest is gravy.

Thanks!

Old 06-03-2020, 07:27 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,432,032 times
There is not much going on in New Durham and the property tax rate is brutal. I would look at Wolfeboro, one town further. The large seasonal population keeps the tax rate in check but you still benefit from the infrastructure that the seasonal community supports: hospital, schools, restaurants, some shopping, etc.

Even a town much closer to Portsmouth, like Greenland or Newmarket, is going to seem like the country compared to metro Philadelphia.

Old 06-03-2020, 07:57 AM

26,419 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gf2020 View Post
There is not much going on in New Durham and the property tax rate is brutal. I would look at Wolfeboro, one town further. The large seasonal population keeps the tax rate in check but you still benefit from the infrastructure that the seasonal community supports: hospital, schools, restaurants, some shopping, etc.

Even a town much closer to Portsmouth, like Greenland or Newmarket, is going to seem like the country compared to metro Philadelphia.
Alton is a better pick than New Durham, one town to the west and a lower tax rate than Wolfeboro. Also, Alton is right on highway 11, meaning easy driving access to the Seacoast as well as Concord.

Old 06-03-2020, 08:10 AM

Thanks for the replies! Very helpful. Will make sure to check out Wolfeboro and Alton when we come up in September.

Old 06-03-2020, 09:09 AM

199 posts, read 181,342 times
I'd try to spend an entire day exploring what the Seacoast has to offer, and an entire day exploring what the Lakes Region has to offer.

Old 06-03-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi.Dunn View Post
I'd try to spend an entire day exploring what the Seacoast has to offer, and an entire day exploring what the Lakes Region has to offer.

That's the plan. I think we'll probably come up on the Thursday before Labor Day and check out the main regions before heading back home on Labor Day. Should be able to get three whole days in that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire