Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2021, 10:02 AM

571 posts, read 1,319,312 times

Advertisements

First of all, the Southeast corner of NH has different (milder) weather than the rest. It is also flatter than the rest. Never forget that our State and towns have all the necessary gear for snow removal and do a very good job at it. Traditionally, the day after snow storm, the Sun comes out and the roads are soon clear and dry down to the blacktop.

There are many food resources available. United Way, Salvation Army, Soup Kitchens, church pantries, etc., plus State food for elderly. Most do not require documentation to partake. Some get donations from chain supermarkets as well as Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and Aldie's. (Yes. We have them here.)

There are property tax abatements available if you meet the town's requirements.

It was just announced that a death in September was just categorized as a covid death, making it the ONLY covid death in someone 18 or under in NH for the past two years.

I won't get into the mask thing except, to say that I do see some people wearing masks in shopping. As of this week, my city's two major hospitals (they serve a large area outside my city too) had only 47 beds occupied with covid patients.
People are active in local and Sate politics. School Board meetings have been attended by many who never paid attention before.

The fee to run for President of The U.S. in the New Hampshire Primary is still only $1,000. (I think in S.C. it is $25,000) If you have the money, you can legitimately say you ran for President and use that as a bragging point!
No bottle deposits, no motorcycle helmet law, no mandatory seat belt law for adults, no concealed pistol permit required, Very low drug-related crime rate. (The FBI says most such crime is between dealers and the dealers mostly live in Mass.)
I could go on and on, but this old video may be still relevant. I'm not sure if the Free State Movement is still going on.https://odysee.com/@FreeKeene:2/101-Reasons:f
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2021, 04:43 PM

275 posts, read 214,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver 47 View Post
Pros.
No sales tax.
No income tax.
No tax on investments.
Gun laws. What gun laws ?
Knife laws. What knife laws?
You can carry a sword if you want.
Car insurance not required by law.
Hunting on Sunday allowed by law.
Cold snowy winters enhance winter sports.
We have constutional carry, and a strong castle defense law.
Rapists, arsonist's and kidnappers can be shot on sight - legally by law. (Yes really check our RSA's)
Liquor stores right off the highway on the Massachusetts border with on & off ramps. Live free or die !
Being from New Jersey, this is pretty much music to my ears. Only thing that doen't bother me is liquor as I don't drink and I couldn't care less about alcohol. But something to add on your list, there is no State Inheritance or Estate tax nor an "Exit Tax".

Old 12-26-2021, 07:43 AM

32,953 posts, read 36,412,347 times
There's no New Jersey exit tax.

Old 12-26-2021, 07:52 AM

571 posts, read 1,319,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdGuitar View Post
Being from New Jersey, this is pretty much music to my ears. Only thing that doen't bother me is liquor as I don't drink and I couldn't care less about alcohol. But something to add on your list, there is no State Inheritance or Estate tax nor an "Exit Tax".
I don't drink either, but I do like the huge amount of money that goes to the State Treasury from the sales from State Liquor Stores. An awful lot of the sales are to people from out of State. It has been shown that restaurants from NYC even send vans up here to load up. Massachusetts has a law allowing a maximum of 8 gallons of liquor to be transported in their State. They are just jealous. Mass. has an excise tax on liquor, plus a sales tax on it. They call it Taxachusetts.

By the way, an independent audit told that State that they could increase the prices in the State Liquor store by 15% and still be competitive.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:37 PM

275 posts, read 214,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
There's no New Jersey exit tax.
You have to file a GIT/REP form before moving out of the State. This will prompt you to make a pre payment of either 8.97% of the profit or 2% of the gross sale or whichever is higher before moving out of the State. If not, the deed will not take effect. There are some exemptions one of which is that if the property or home was used as the primary residence for at least 24 months or two years. Now we all know that 1) People are not in the business of lending money to the State at 0.00 interest rate. 2) Many circumstances may occur that can prompt you to move before the second year...specially during the "pandemic". 3) Chances are that the new home will be equal or over the fair market value of the property you sold...which brings us back to point number one.

So, there is a tax....but the State and the NJCPA (mostly carrying the water for the State) have created this narrative that the exit tax is a "misnomer" and play around with semantics to downplay a tax that in most places are non existent or at least provide options to tax payers (e.i. deferrals)

Old 12-29-2021, 01:30 PM

332 posts, read 218,421 times
CONS:

$7.25 minimum wage.

Supposedly the "Live free of Die" state but yet they still haven't legalized marijuana.

Irresponsibly lax gun laws.

Lots of larpers in NH who have this fantasy that they're Ben Franklin because they go to town meetings and try to defund every aspect of the government and live off the grid in the woods. Talk about cringey.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:38 PM
KCZ

4,680 posts, read 3,677,933 times
CONS: People who think they can move up here from out-of-state and tell us how to live our lives and spend our money.

Old 12-29-2021, 01:42 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,061,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnecticutSir View Post
CONS:

$7.25 minimum wage.

Supposedly the "Live free of Die" state but yet they still haven't legalized marijuana.

Lots of larpers in NH who have this fantasy that they're Ben Franklin because they go to town meetings and try to defund every aspect of the government and live off the grid in the woods. Talk about cringey.

I don't know anyone who is paid minimum wage.

There are multiple bipartisan bills this year to legalize marijuana. There is bipartisan support for it even from those who are not sponsoring one of the many bills or constitutional amendments. The main question will be selling it and whether to give it to the state-I would prefer not, or give it to private business.

Our gun laws are more strict than the federal standards. We have less firearm related incidents than many other states with stricter firearms laws.

Sounds like you should stick to CT.

Old 12-29-2021, 02:34 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,679,795 times
Post first cast out the beam out of thine own eye...

Quote:
$7.25 minimum wage.
All but a fraction of 1% of adult residents realize that "minimum wage" is just the lowest possible opening offer in negotiations and earn a wage well above the federal minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Quote:
Our gun laws are more strict than the federal standards. We have less firearm related incidents than many other states with stricter firearms laws.

Sounds like you should stick to CT.
CTSir, you should look to the beam in thine own eye:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Courant
Connecticut had one of the lowest violent crime rates in the nation last year, but did not fare as well with property crimes, statistics from the FBI show. The state’s overall violent crime rate per 100,000 people last year was 181.6, a decrease from 184.6 in 2019. Only Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont had lower rates in 2020.
Just like we do with minimum wage, for the most part New Hampshire defaults to the Federal regulation; we've really only got a handful of "gun laws" left in place, and in 2022 we will repeal one more -- the requirement to have a Pistol & Revolver license to carry a loaded firearm when traveling by OHRV (think ATV, UTV, snowmobile, etc).

Old 12-29-2021, 02:52 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,061,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonesuch View Post
we've really only got a handful of "gun laws" left in place, and in 2022 we will repeal one more -- the requirement to have a Pistol & Revolver license to carry a loaded firearm when traveling by OHRV (think ATV, UTV, snowmobile, etc).

As an aside. Just like last year's attempt at this, I dislike that long guns are not included here. It is obviously to appease the fish cops, but IMO if I am not hunting the fish cops need to stay out of my day to day life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire