Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2022, 01:22 PM

1,093 posts, read 1,060,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Connecticut rates up too! Natural gas used to run the power plants is up substantially which is the driving force of the cost increases. Add in labor and material cost increases along with equipment and infrastructure that is old and we are just starting to see the real costs of electric power. Solar, wind, and hydro (Northern Pass rejected) play a minor role as source power for generators.
Any word on how Northern Pass part deux is doing in Maine? Last I heard it was on the verge of being shut down.

Northern Pass was before my time in NH, but whoever let their JV marketing team out there with a message of 'we'll flatten, pave, and put up super ugly structures in your scenic spots to benefit a completely different state' should be fired. Sounds like they did the same thing in ME.

https://www.energy.nh.gov/energy-inf...-new-hampshire

It cracked me up seeing Biomass in the news over the last couple weeks. It's more expensive per kWh and is essentially a program to support the logging industry. The logging industy does need some help, and it would be a shame to waste all the would byproducts that can be used for energy generation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2022, 08:40 AM

605 posts, read 626,019 times
In August I calculated that my Eversource bill would go to $127 a month with the increase. Rather than passively accepting that as inevitable, I did two things: (1) I switched to Direct Energy as my supplier to cut the increase in half. (2) I instituted drastic cuts to my electricity use. I researched and listed every single thing I could do to reduce electricity and put them in action gradually over a period of weeks. My November Eversource bill was just $55. I reduced my use by 67%. This is not as hard to do as you might imagine, but it does involve some sacrifices to comfort and convenience. Drastic times call for drastic measures. For many people across the country and around the world, these are drastic times.

Old 11-28-2022, 10:23 AM

1,093 posts, read 1,060,810 times
I now have the privilege of paying both NHEC and Eversource. Although my Eversource usage last month was only 3 kWh for my builder's block heater and a motion lamp. Just keeping the meter on costs almost $14 a month.

NHEC was 29.1 cents per kWh last billing cycle.

I'm not messing around with suppliers yet. I did completely cancel my TV service and saved $125 a month there.

Also, great typo by me above. "would byproducts"

Old 11-28-2022, 01:30 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,677,667 times
Thumbs up Led ftw

Without any drastic changes in lifestyle, I've managed to cut my usage by 12% year-over-year, mostly by using automation and LED bulbs to cut back on wasteful use.

Eversource enables downloading your recent cost/usage history as a spreadsheet.
Attached Thumbnails
This should be fun--residents warned of 'drastic increases' in electricity bills-eversource.jpg  

Old 11-29-2022, 05:33 PM

8,272 posts, read 11,000,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abnfdc View Post
Any word on how Northern Pass .
Seabrook is shutting down in 7 years.

Then NH will be scrambling to find other sources of electricity.

The nutcases who were against Northern Pass will pay more for being idiots. And so will everyone else.

And the same folks do not want a natural gas pipeline running through their beautiful town.

All will continue to pay more and more.

And then keep complaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire