Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2022, 04:59 AM

531 posts, read 424,624 times

Advertisements

Is your student only looking in NH? If you’re wanting a picturesque campus in a fantastic college town, there’s also University of Vermont (UVM) in Burlington. Personally, I think it’s the prettiest of all the New England state universities (all of which I’ve visited through the years).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 06:31 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Plymouth State University is not even a university. The added word university is a made up name.

Keene has a bunch of nut cases gravitating there.

Saint Anselm in Goffstown is a real good school and they may have scholrships and grants.

"Liberal arts interests, artistic/theatre minor" Good Luck with that one.

Old 07-23-2022, 03:49 PM

531 posts, read 424,624 times
This is a completely different topic, but I think liberal arts degrees can lead to well-paying jobs so long as you get a masters degree and/or partake in internships and participate in on-the-job training while still in college. I know plenty of people who make great money and majored in things like communications and poly sci.

Doesn’t university status coincide with the school offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees versus colleges offering undergraduate degrees only?

Last edited by Remy11; 07-23-2022 at 04:33 PM..

Old 07-23-2022, 05:01 PM

9,874 posts, read 7,200,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post
This is a completely different topic, but I think liberal arts degrees can lead to well-paying jobs so long as you get a masters degree and/or partake in internships and participate in on-the-job training while still in college. I know plenty of people who make great money and majored in things like communications and poly sci.

Doesn’t university status coincide with the school offering both undergraduate and graduate degrees versus colleges offering undergraduate degrees only?
Liberal Arts goes back millennia. It centered on teaching:
  • grammar
  • logic
  • rhethoric
  • arithmetic
  • astronomy
  • music
  • geometry.

Those were all things needed for a well rounded individual. It's the same today although there are many that say "liberal" with a sneer. In reality, a liberal arts degree provides a basis for many graduate degrees including law, medicine, engineering, etc.

Old 07-23-2022, 05:55 PM
KCZ

4,663 posts, read 3,659,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remy11 View Post

Liberal arts doesn't mean only social sciences and humanities. Plenty of liberal arts colleges also grant degrees in math, biology, geology, chemistry, physics and other sciences.

And yes, university generally means the school has grad programs and some commitment to research.

Old 07-24-2022, 10:40 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,344,844 times
If you are set on liberal arts then maybe look for a school that has a proven track record of internships and/or job placement.

Old 07-24-2022, 11:34 AM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hconstan View Post
Budgeting for tuition $30-35k max a year, will be a kid from out of state, from CT, psychology major. Liberal arts interests, artistic/theatre minor might be on the cards, likes picturesque campuses, nearly straight A student about to start senior year high school. Parents both degreed/employed, federal financial aid probably not possible. Scholarships might be possible.

Going to tour University of New Hampshire on Friday. Where else should we look? Thanks.

Not interested in private colleges that charge as much as Yale and Princeton ($60k/year tuition)...large public research universities might be ok though.
With those interests, please look at Clark University in Massachusetts. Beautiful campus, but urban surroundings. The urban atmosphere affords many opportunities for internships and volunteer work.

My daughter received almost a free ride - 98% of tuition. Clark is unique liberal arts research university. I attended for three years (my mother became terminally ill) - and I learned and grew so much there.
Incidentally, my original majors were Theatre and Psych and I took many art courses.

We were in the same position financially. They were most generous with her.

A wonderful and unique aspect of Clark is its graduate school. Students who maintain a 3.5 average for four years are offered a masters in their major, tuition free.

https://www.clarku.edu/

Last edited by sheena12; 07-24-2022 at 11:43 AM..

Old 07-24-2022, 08:18 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,156,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hconstan View Post
Budgeting for tuition $30-35k max a year, will be a kid from out of state, from CT, psychology major. Liberal arts interests, artistic/theatre minor might be on the cards, likes picturesque campuses, nearly straight A student about to start senior year high school. Parents both degreed/employed, federal financial aid probably not possible. Scholarships might be possible.

Going to tour University of New Hampshire on Friday. Where else should we look? Thanks.

Not interested in private colleges that charge as much as Yale and Princeton ($60k/year tuition)...large public research universities might be ok though.
What is your career path? With what you have written, I suggest not rushing into college. Four years goes by fast, and for what you want to study (psychology, liberal arts, theatre), IMO it's not worth the college costs. Take a few years to get more focused on what you want to do in life. And don't follow your passion, save that as one of many hobbies to have.

Old 07-30-2022, 05:57 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Dartmouth College average cost after financial aid is within that budget. Assuming they can get admitted, that’s easily the best college in the state and it certainly wins the picturesque campus contest. Nobody pays retail for college. Dartmouth would be $350k for an undergrad degree. They have a huge endowment fund.

Old 07-31-2022, 01:40 PM

3,075 posts, read 1,541,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
What is your career path? With what you have written, I suggest not rushing into college. Four years goes by fast, and for what you want to study (psychology, liberal arts, theatre), IMO it's not worth the college costs. Take a few years to get more focused on what you want to do in life. And don't follow your passion, save that as one of many hobbies to have.
oh good lord!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire