Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 04:34 PM

213 posts, read 508,004 times

Advertisements

Ca. just had a same sex marraige law become legal this week. I was wondering if NH had one. Personally I believe in Adam & Eve not Adam and Steve. Ca is trying to get this back on a ballot in Nov. Was curious how many states have this law.

Old 06-24-2008, 04:59 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,329,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosrto View Post
Ca. just had a same sex marraige law become legal this week. I was wondering if NH had one. Personally I believe in Adam & Eve not Adam and Steve. Ca is trying to get this back on a ballot in Nov. Was curious how many states have this law.
No but we do have Civil Unions. Passed by our liberal legislature and signed in (sneakily and quietly no less ) by our waste of a govenor. The legistators who voted this in did NOT run on this platform and neither did the govenor and despite public opinion against this-it was passed anyway.

IMHO-this should have gone to a vote to the citizens of NH or at the very least these politicians should have campaigned on this and then if the people still voted them in-that would be how it is. So much for democracy.

The above is not a statement so much on civil unions but instead on how they came about. Just my .02.

Nicolem

Old 06-24-2008, 05:02 PM

Also nearby Massachusetts has same sex marriage-judicial activism from the bench. The people wanted to vote on it but the commie Mass legislature pulled some dirty shennanigans where the people were not allowed to vote on it. Again-another great work of democracy in action.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:06 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
I think its safe to say the people of the south wanted to vote on keeping slavery, too.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
I think its safe to say the people of the south wanted to vote on keeping slavery, too.
Gee I knew someone would bring that up. So because the south wanted to keep voting slavery-anything goes today? I hear that argument used all the time by the pro-gay marriage people and I am not going to even respond.

My point is we are a democracy and we the people have a right to decide our laws. There should not be judicial activism or legislation from the bench. Either politicians run on that platform or let the citizens vote. If I am against gay marriage but the citizens of NH have a fair election and vote it in-that is democracy in action-regardless of whether or not I like the outcome. If I am pro-gay marriage and the people vote to ban gay-marriage, then I can work to change minds and have another vote or I can move to a state that allows gay marriage. It sickens me that judges have to legislate from the bench. So much for state's rights and democracy.

Last edited by nicolem; 06-24-2008 at 05:23 PM..

Old 06-24-2008, 05:36 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,963,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Good Point Lakewooder! Consenting Adults should be able to do what ever the bleep they want! As long as children are not involved. Homosexual Adoptions just don't sit right with me! Was that a pun?

Actually if our society is going down that path lets also leave Consenting Adults Alone if they so decide to enter into a Polygamous Relationships. I love that show "Big Love"!!! None of my business how many wives or husbands someone has, as long as no one is getting hurt!

Having said that, I know some farmers in Pennsylvania who are very attached to their livestock? Hmm???? Will this mindset continue or shall we experience the fate of the Romans?????

Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times
If gays are only 10% of the population how can they vote equal rights for themselves? I guess you would never consider that..

Old 06-24-2008, 05:50 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
It sounds like the way it was done in NH *was* rather sneaky. That's not the way it was in CA. There was a supreme court ruling, but then it got put on a ballot, and everyone voted, tossing the ruling. Then there was an appeal, which was upheld, so now it's legal again, BUT there are efforts to get it on the ballot again.

It sounds rather messy on the face of it, but at least people are given the right to vote on it. I'm not sure if civil unions were already legal, but any couple, gay or straight, can register as a domestic couple, so as to protect their general rights in situations like power of attorney or health directives.

OTOH, a lot of this depends on how you view this issue. To us, slavery is ridiculous, of course it should be illegal. But to many the issue of gays and lesbians having the right to marry in the same category of emancipation, or inter-racial marriage. Something obvious that needs to be legislated regardless of people's "personal opinion."

Old 06-24-2008, 05:50 PM

870 posts, read 1,627,053 times
are you serious? wow. (speaking to lakewood)

we think too much alike nicolem.

Old 06-24-2008, 06:00 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
Oh oh - subject matter likely to cause mod complaints.... 10 posts to thread closing and counting...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
View detailed profiles of: