Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 10:49 AM

14 posts, read 33,503 times

Advertisements

My husband and I had planned on moving to Maine, but unfortunately, it fell through just as we were preparing to put our house on the market here and buy one there. Despite the setback and disappointment, we are still determined that it's time to leave South Florida and head north.

He's hoping maybe there are better job opportunities in the Boston area, but we are thinking we'd rather live in New Hampshire. With that in mind, I'd really appreciate any help in finding good school districts in NH that would be about an hour or so from the greater Boston area. We have two young children, so schools really will determine where we end up.

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 12:33 PM

282 posts, read 1,186,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswiz View Post
My husband and I had planned on moving to Maine, but unfortunately, it fell through just as we were preparing to put our house on the market here and buy one there. Despite the setback and disappointment, we are still determined that it's time to leave South Florida and head north.

He's hoping maybe there are better job opportunities in the Boston area, but we are thinking we'd rather live in New Hampshire. With that in mind, I'd really appreciate any help in finding good school districts in NH that would be about an hour or so from the greater Boston area. We have two young children, so schools really will determine where we end up.

Thanks for any help!
Hi there........welcome to the forum. We have discussed this topic many times on this forum previously....so if you search for "schools", or something like that, I am sure you will find many of our threads about this topic. If you have questions, please feel free to DM me. Good luck.

Old 06-30-2008, 05:45 PM

1,282 posts, read 3,705,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrswiz View Post

Thanks for any help!
Look at Exeter - that would be a good one to search the forums on - Exeter schools.

Old 07-02-2008, 02:46 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,956,559 times
MrsWiz, the school districts that come up for discussion the most often are the Hollis district, also Londonderry, Souhegan (Amherst), Oyster River (Lee/Durham/Madbury) Bedford and Exeter. Most if not all of these would be within commute distance to Boston (maybe not comfortable, but doable) Also, as Angela suggested, do a search of City Data, you'll find these districts discussed over and over again Happy Hunting!!

Old 07-02-2008, 08:12 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,346,758 times
Simonds Elementary School in Warner was chosen as the #1 in the state this year.

Old 07-03-2008, 05:40 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,069,356 times
We don't even have kids and Hollis has impressed me. Driving by after school there are always tons of kids outside (sports) and there parents there to support them- always a good sign. Taxes and property values are high, but you have to give some to get some. I also average about 1 mile per minute on my commute into Bedford, MA- so that's not bad at all (60mph).

Old 07-03-2008, 06:45 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,956,559 times
Just a quickie note to mrswiz... If you haven't previously lived in an area that has an extended winter season, you might consider renting for a full year to be sure that you're able to take it. A former member made the move from FL to NH thinking that they would love it, and as it turned out, by the 3rd or 4th snowstorm, it became a miserable experience, and she & her DH returned to FL. Just some food for thought...

Old 07-03-2008, 08:19 AM

4 posts, read 9,827 times
Avoid Chester, NH. They are once again a School In Need of Change every year since 2003. Administration has been in flux for 12 years. Teaching staff turns over regularly. It is certainly a safe place to learn. They have extra curricular activities. But there is no support where there are 2 full time working parents for childcare. They all have their hearts in the right place, but there is constant change in the curriculum and how they approach the actual teaching. Derry and Exeter and Londonderry are good school systems but taxes are quite high. Brentwood is nice too. I have also heard good things about Hollis. GreatSchools.net has some good information and the NECAP scores you can review for the grade level that interests you. There are a lot of private Christian schools in the area that are all good as well. Good luck!

Old 07-03-2008, 09:06 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,705,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valerie C View Post
Just a quickie note to mrswiz... If you haven't previously lived in an area that has an extended winter season, you might consider renting for a full year to be sure that you're able to take it. A former member made the move from FL to NH thinking that they would love it, and as it turned out, by the 3rd or 4th snowstorm, it became a miserable experience, and she & her DH returned to FL. Just some food for thought...
Oh yes soooooooooooo true - she still haunts me LOL (I know off-topic and she's no longer a member).

Good luck to the OP - I think NH is a great state, and on your way from FL to NH, stop in NC and pick me up

Old 07-03-2008, 06:13 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,454,296 times
I'll put in my .2c and recommend Hollis if you're considering public schools.
there are sports and other activities/opportunities for kids a-plenty in Hollis as well as parent support
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire