Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:10 PM

276 posts, read 1,127,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmbythesea View Post
Hi ribby84,

I am interested in your posts about north hampton elementary school vs exeter or stratham. Is n.hampton still your first choice? We are considering moving over the border from northshore ma and I am also interested in more of an alternative/creative approach to education (but still public). Your research is very helpful to me and I did indeed visit the schools website and found the philosophies impressive. Does the same hold true for the middle school? Also, can you tell me more about what you've heard about the high school? and your knowledge about charter school options? thanks so much!
Winnicunit(sp) is the HS in Hampton.
I can only tell you what I have heard.
They have a drug problem to some extent. I have been told that they have some excellent teachers. It is a very large school as it covers students from several towns not just Hampton. You can go on the website and check it out yourself and of course call and speak to a guidance councelor. You can also as the local police department about there involvement and what they think...overall I think it is good school and they have some excellent teachers...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2007, 02:18 PM

23 posts, read 100,464 times
Hi farmbythesea, I have been off line for some time so it is a little late reply. We have gone wth North Hampton and will be moving in the next couple of weeks. It is an amazing school, much like a charter school, and the only public school I would relocate to. We have been searching all ofver new engalnd for te best school and are moving for that reason only. The web site does not even do the school justice in what they are doing. They just recieved a grant to research becoming and independent school district and the families would have a school of choice type of high school. The middle school is amazing. The school is pre-k through 8th. When I visited I observed the middle school and they were studying the 20's and 30's and they had turned the room into an New York Speak Easy and they were all dressed in the time. Totally learning througn real life experiences versus sitting reading a text book. If you go on their web site and click on the middle school blue ribbon documentation they have quotes and insights from the middle school kids that will bring you to tears at how insightful they are. There are some very good Charter High Schools in the area. Charters are lottery for any resident in New Hampshire, but are public so no tuition. They operate within the school district but do not have be responsible to a school board. Send me an IM with anyother information I can help with. How old are your kids?

Old 06-25-2007, 07:09 PM

2 posts, read 3,872 times
Default Try Brentwood, Kensington also in SAU16!

We just moved to the seacoast about a year ago from out of state, and did not know much about the area except that SAU-16 which includes Exeter, Stratham, Newfields, Brentwood and Kensington is known to be the best in the State. We decided to only look in the towns mentioned because of the quality of schools. We eventually settled in Brentwood and we are so happy here. The Swasey school is excellent, and all the people I've met are extremely friendly. Exeter was just too expensive tax-wise, but we do treat it as our "downtown" as Brentwood doesnt have one. Stratham was also a little more pricey. Kensington was a little too "country" for our taste, but it should be worth a look. The Brentwood library is great, and the community has sooo many activities and events that it doesnt take long to settle in. Good luck, it is worth the look!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:05 AM

1 posts, read 1,628 times
I am new to this board and wanted to add my two cents. My husband and I moved to the seacoast 2 years ago. We lived in Boston at the time and NEVER thought we'd leave. We drove up to the Seacoast and fell in love with a little community called New Castle and have lived here ever since. We love the fact that it's just a couple of miles from the hustle and bustle of Portsmouth, but every time I drive over the bridges onto our little island I feel like I am on vacation. Since moving, we now have a 1 year old. In just 5 minutes, I can walk him to the beach in town, where there is a huge playground, volleyball nets, picnic tables and an ice skating rink in the winter. We have a cute library within walking distance and an elementary school right on the water that is consistently rated the best in the state. The class sizes are VERY small since the town is so small. We will have to send him to Rye for middle school and Portsmouth for high school, however those are still good school systems. We also have some of the lowest property taxes (if not the lowest) in the state. The housing prices are definitely a little more expensive in New Castle, however we felt the investment was worth it. There are also some great places on the market now. Good luck to everyone. I have to admit that it was a bit of an adjustment moving from Boston, but we really do love it here now!

Old 07-23-2007, 11:43 AM

6 posts, read 19,342 times
Hi to you soon-to-be NH neighbors!

I've lived in for 40 years, and raised a son in Portsmouth, NH. And, I'm still here.
The seacoast is ungodly expensive. If you make a good income ($125k + annually) you should be ok and be able to find a home without too many tears. I think that moving to Dover is a good plan, rather than closer to the coast like here. Dover, for some reason, isn't as pricey yet...but it's getting there.
The more miles between you and coast, the cheaper it is. But the schools are better nearer the coast. Go figure.
All the best,
Kim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire