Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 06:50 AM

179 posts, read 436,087 times

Advertisements

Did you know that Keene is built in an extinct lake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2008, 08:00 AM

63 posts, read 132,564 times
I have family in Keene and am there quite often. It's true that some people might find it to be isolated, but there are several grocery stores, a great hospital, good schools, a variety of restaurants, and friendly people. What more could we ask for? If our family needs something that they can't buy in Keene, Manchester or Springfield will probably have it, and traveling an hour is nothing. The schools in town are very good, but you do need to be aware of some surrounding systems which aren't so solid. True, Keene did get tons of water in flooding October of 2006, and true, there was a lot of snow this year, but those kinds of weather events happened throughout NH. As for the "wierd, bohemian" kind of thing, absolutely, in a Live Free or Die state, we'd not be surprised to find that, but there are also lots of very buttoned up, white-collar people...and everything in between. It's a nice mix for me. Nanciegord, if you like it, it'll work for you. Continue to do your research, and then have a good time where you decide to plant yourself. Forget about the excess negativity that you might have read--no plowing, etc. That was silly. I was there in several snowstorms, and unless you're expecting bone-dry streets an hour after the storm, they were fine. We'll be happy for you.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:16 PM

105 posts, read 357,947 times
"Swanzey has some beautiful properties, covered bridges etc; not a good school district though. Tht being said I think you can pay the tax diffrence b/w Swanzey & Keene for your kids to go to school in the Keene school district if needed.

There are a few towns around Keene (Surry, Chesterfield, westmoreland & so forth where the kids go to the Keene school district automatically; You can check with the town hall)"

I think Swanzey (Monadnock HS) is close to losing their accreditation, I know they're on probation from the NEAS&C since their last review in 2006, but I haven't seen anything in the papers so far. Keene did have to take on all the kids from Winchester within the last 4-5 yrs because that school had to close. Chesterfield's Elementary School goes to 8th and then the kids are bused to Keene HS. My oldest just graduated from Keene HS in a class of just over 400 kids, which is a large class around here! I have another graduating in '09.

I guess I don't hang out in downtown Keene enough, lol to see that "wierd college/white trash/tattoo haven/bohemian strange kind of vibe" that JViello mentions. It takes all sorts of people to make a vibrant town and I think Keene has a lot going for it.

Old 08-05-2008, 04:22 PM

105 posts, read 357,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbiej63 View Post
Did you know that Keene is built in an extinct lake?
All of the CT River Valley was part of Lake Hitchcock. Only when the dam formed from the glacier retreat down in CT let go around 12,000 yrs ago did the land drain. Also Keene sits at the end of the Eastern Border Fault line that runs from New Haven CT. The CT River Valley formed when the 2 land masses (Africa & N.A) tried to rip apart. Amazing what I've learned on field trips with my kid, lol

Old 08-06-2008, 10:01 AM

179 posts, read 436,087 times
Quote:
All of the CT River Valley was part of Lake Hitchcock. Only when the dam formed from the glacier retreat down in CT let go around 12,000 yrs ago did the land drain. Also Keene sits at the end of the Eastern Border Fault line that runs from New Haven CT. The CT River Valley formed when the 2 land masses (Africa & N.A) tried to rip apart. Amazing what I've learned on field trips with my kid, lol
Lake Hitchcock was the large lake, but Keene actually was the smaller Lake Ashuelot that remained when Lake Hitchcock dried up. If you laid a map of Keene over the map of Lake Ashuelot, it is almost a perfect fit. This lake disappeared 10,000 yrs ago.

I've been reading this book called The Bones of the Earth by Howard Mansfield. It is several small stories about the history of New Hampshire that most people don't think about. The story about Keene explored the geography and soil content of Keene so you could picture it as the extinct lake. There are also stories about the old cemetaries, the stone walls and stone bridges, the boom of NH during the 1980s and subsequent fall when the real estate market burst afterwards (sound familiar?), the Boston Post cane, and others. It's really very interesting.

Old 08-22-2008, 09:19 AM

I agree with Moderator cut: poster is no longer a member that the only one who can make the choice is you. Having just spent a week in a cabin up by Alstead, I can tell you that the feeling in Keene is quite different, or anywhere else, after you've seen it in a variety of circumstances. (For me, during a cold, rainy week with no cellphone coverage or internet, going to Keene felt like heaven, but I'm pretty sure not everyone would feel that way!) Research all that you can and do first hand experience. Good luck.

Last edited by Suzet2262; 08-22-2008 at 05:40 PM.. Reason: took out banned members name

Old 08-23-2008, 01:00 PM

122 posts, read 313,418 times
Thanks again for all the input. We are aware of the school situation in areas that are not specifically in Keene, and the school systems will play an important part of our decision. Four out of the six of the adults involved in the move are school teachers, three of which will be looking for jobs (I get to stop working!).
I loved hearing about how Keene was originally Lake Achelot (sp?). When I was recently up there, I bought a book called It Happened in New Hampshire and I'm learning a lot of interesting things about past events.
I know that our three families will be so happy together that we will have a positive experience wherever we settle in NH. Coming from Miami, it will be so different for us that we will be thrilled with all the things we're looking forward to - the four seasons (we have one season) in particular, but also the scenery, the proximity to other states, less crime and worry that living in a big city such as ours brings, more importance put on education, less aggressive drivers, etc.
Thank you again for all your help. I loved hearing from those who replied.
Nancie

Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,740,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanciegord View Post
Thanks again for all the input. We are aware of the school situation in areas that are not specifically in Keene, and the school systems will play an important part of our decision. Four out of the six of the adults involved in the move are school teachers, three of which will be looking for jobs (I get to stop working!).
I loved hearing about how Keene was originally Lake Achelot (sp?). When I was recently up there, I bought a book called It Happened in New Hampshire and I'm learning a lot of interesting things about past events.
I know that our three families will be so happy together that we will have a positive experience wherever we settle in NH. Coming from Miami, it will be so different for us that we will be thrilled with all the things we're looking forward to - the four seasons (we have one season) in particular, but also the scenery, the proximity to other states, less crime and worry that living in a big city such as ours brings, more importance put on education, less aggressive drivers, etc.
Thank you again for all your help. I loved hearing from those who replied.
Nancie
NH is one of the safest, and best places to live in the USA. The Keene area is beautiful, if a little remote. Good luck with your move.

Old 09-15-2008, 06:09 PM

5 posts, read 17,659 times
I have another question about Keene: Where do the locals grocery shop? I saw Price Chopper, Shaw's, and Hannaford's, and I know you can get some items at Walmart and Target, but that doesn't always represent the best prices. My wife and I were comparing prices to NJ, and things were all over the board (A bag of 9 Lives dry food here that we pay $11.48 for, was $19.99 at Price Chopper! But milk, for which we pay $3.49 a gallon here, was $4.44 at one store, and $3.22 at another). Does any one belong to the co-ops?

Old 09-15-2008, 06:53 PM

Innisart, I love the Price Chopper in Keene, and Hannaford's is good, too. The stores are big, clean, and have everything. Shaw's is almost always more expensive than the other two. Watch the ads. The Target store has a decent little area of grocery items. I have a bias against Walmart, though so can't say what they have as prices.
When it's growing season, hit the downtown farmer's market, or go to one of the many farm stands in the area, stock up, freeze things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire