Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 11:08 PM

39 posts, read 150,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
About the whiney people, to me, you have 2 choices. You are either stuck for a reason or another, and cant move, so you should really try to see the beauty in things and just deal with it, as these are the cards you have been dealt with for right now, or move and get over it. That is just how I think

Video Monkey13, I hope you have a great trip and dont forget to take pictures....
Thanks!
Oh...believe me...I'll be sure to take some pics! One thing I've learned is that everyplace has its share of problems and if you move somewhere with the mindset of finding a great 'mecca', you're setting yourself up for major disappointment. I figured that NH wouldn't be too much of a shock given where I've lived (and was raised)....but we'll see.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 05:21 AM

2,489 posts, read 8,181,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Video Monkey13 View Post
Thanks for all the helpful input! As I previously mentioned, I'll be visiting the New England area in a few weeks, so I'll be scoping things out to see if it seems like a good fit for me (I'm a native upstate New Yorker...so I don't know how I'd fare, but it's fair to say that I'm no stranger to winter! And 'NO', I'm not a Yankees fan! lol!). I don't want to be one of those whiny a-holes who rushes into moving someplace only to find that they're miserable!

VM13
VM13 - We're native New Yorkers - we lived in the Mid-Hudson region of NYS, which some consider upstate, even though we didn't My son lives in the Saratoga region and their winter was very similar to ours - they had just as much snow and cold (sometimes they were even colder than we were) and their summer has been just as rainy.

Anyway, we've been here a little over 2 year now and have not had any problems. We moved further north than where you're looking and we did have a little bit of "culture shock" since stores where we were in NY were open much later there than here, same with restaurants, but that was pretty much the "major adjustment" we had.

As has been said elsewhere on the forum, the people here are really very nice, as long as you don't "push" things - let friendships evolve at a relatively slow pace, be yourself, let people get to know you and you'll be fine. I don't know anything about the areas where you'll be looking, so I can't offer advice on those things, but from what you've posted, I think you'll fit in fine here in NH.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:47 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,044,516 times
Quote:
Thanks!
Oh...believe me...I'll be sure to take some pics! One thing I've learned is that everyplace has its share of problems and if you move somewhere with the mindset of finding a great 'mecca', you're setting yourself up for major disappointment. I figured that NH wouldn't be too much of a shock given where I've lived (and was raised)....but we'll see.
VM, you sound very wise! I'm sure you'll have no problem living in NH!

Old 08-19-2008, 11:58 AM

259 posts, read 988,987 times
Post there should be some listings for Hooksett

Bedford is a somewhat a snobby community that likely does not have any affordable living As far as Hooksett, there are a couple of large apartment complexes along route 3 in the area adjacent to the Hooksett tolls on 93. Perhaps they are not in Craigslist. there may be some older homes for rent. It is an older community vs Bedford.
In Bedford you are forbidden to put any but white Christmas lights your windows,in the name of promoting a more 'homogenous Christmas'. Imagine that? I was apalled by some peoples sense of dictating their wishes upon their neighbors!

A number of years ago Durham tried to pass a town ordinance that would allow the town to fix up your propertyPaint, etc. and hand you a bill for the work, should some bureaucrat judge it to be thought it was in ill repair! It didn't pass.

Also they made a guy remove the sail boat he was building for himself on his own property because it was found to be an eyesore.

Just does ones property rights begin + end?

Old 08-19-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeehombre View Post
Bedford is a somewhat a snobby community that likely does not have any affordable living As far as Hooksett, there are a couple of large apartment complexes along route 3 in the area adjacent to the Hooksett tolls on 93. Perhaps they are not in Craigslist. there may be some older homes for rent. It is an older community vs Bedford.
In Bedford you are forbidden to put any but white Christmas lights your windows,in the name of promoting a more 'homogenous Christmas'. Imagine that? I was apalled by some peoples sense of dictating their wishes upon their neighbors!

A number of years ago Durham tried to pass a town ordinance that would allow the town to fix up your propertyPaint, etc. and hand you a bill for the work, should some bureaucrat judge it to be thought it was in ill repair! It didn't pass.

Also they made a guy remove the sail boat he was building for himself on his own property because it was found to be an eyesore.

Just does ones property rights begin + end?
That sounds pretty fascist to me! Here's the thing....I just wanna live in a nice, safe, community. Not snobby, yet, not white trash either! Someplace that's nice, yet down to earth with a little bit of character (the good kind...not the sketchy kind)!

As far as 'pushing things' goes...I'm not a big fan of people who are invasive and in your business. I prefer to keep a low profile and tend to take awhile to make friends. In other words: I choose my friends rather carefully.

VM13

Old 08-19-2008, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
VM13 - We're native New Yorkers - we lived in the Mid-Hudson region of NYS, which some consider upstate, even though we didn't My son lives in the Saratoga region and their winter was very similar to ours - they had just as much snow and cold (sometimes they were even colder than we were) and their summer has been just as rainy.

Anyway, we've been here a little over 2 year now and have not had any problems. We moved further north than where you're looking and we did have a little bit of "culture shock" since stores where we were in NY were open much later there than here, same with restaurants, but that was pretty much the "major adjustment" we had.

As has been said elsewhere on the forum, the people here are really very nice, as long as you don't "push" things - let friendships evolve at a relatively slow pace, be yourself, let people get to know you and you'll be fine. I don't know anything about the areas where you'll be looking, so I can't offer advice on those things, but from what you've posted, I think you'll fit in fine here in NH.
Mid Hudson Valley...that's in the Albany region, correct? I'm originally from further upstate (the Finger Lakes region). WINE COUNTRY! Also...how would you rate the overall cost of living in NH to that of NY?

VM13

Last edited by Video Monkey13; 08-19-2008 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-19-2008, 06:24 PM

2,489 posts, read 8,181,910 times
Quote:
Mid Hudson Valley...that's in the Albany region, correct? I'm originally from further upstate (the Finger Lakes region). WINE COUNTRY! Also...how would you rate the overall cost of living in NH to that of NY?

VM13
Hi VM - We were actually about an hour south of Albany. We lived in Rhinebeck - about halfway between NYC and Albany. We now live in northern NH in Littleton and for us, the overall cost of living is less than where we were in NY. We bought a house up here that would have easily cost twice as much in our area of NY, probably even more than that, and the taxes would have been 3-4 times as much. Like everywhere, various costs have gone up here (food, oil, gas, etc.) but our electric bill has pretty much stayed the same. Littleton has it's own electric/water company and the 2 combined (electric and water bill) have not been about $80 in the two years we've been here - in NY we were paying on average $125 per month....and this house has an electric water heater, which we did not have in NY

Old 08-19-2008, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DareToDream View Post
Hi VM - We were actually about an hour south of Albany. We lived in Rhinebeck - about halfway between NYC and Albany. We now live in northern NH in Littleton and for us, the overall cost of living is less than where we were in NY. We bought a house up here that would have easily cost twice as much in our area of NY, probably even more than that, and the taxes would have been 3-4 times as much. Like everywhere, various costs have gone up here (food, oil, gas, etc.) but our electric bill has pretty much stayed the same. Littleton has it's own electric/water company and the 2 combined (electric and water bill) have not been about $80 in the two years we've been here - in NY we were paying on average $125 per month....and this house has an electric water heater, which we did not have in NY
I suspected as much. When I read posts where the locals gripe about taxes and real estate, I have to remind myself that it's all relative. One man's 'outrageous' is another's 'reasonable'. Although I was born & raised in upstate NY, it never really felt like 'home' per se...just familiar. I'm pretty indifferent about PA; it's not horrible, just not someplace I plan on spending the rest of my life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire