Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:46 PM

311 posts, read 995,796 times

Advertisements

I can confirm at least one thing as I read through all the posts on this thread...there are many of us that love NH passionately and will strongly defend the state and our decision to live in it (or move to it).

Old 08-18-2008, 07:59 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
hear, hear!!! And frankly, I don't want anyone who isn't happy with our state living in NH and ruining it for everyone else. It's not for everyone, and if you're not special enough to appreciate it (even the bad parts) then you belong somewhere else - fly! be free! find your Happy Place somewhere else!

Old 08-18-2008, 08:56 PM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
Wow! I just saw this super long thread and thought it was old!

Well Jayne, I'm so sorry NH didn't work out for you, but it does sound as though you didn't research it enough before moving. We just moved here from L.A, and so far I am loving it, even though I thought for a while we were gonna drown with all the rain.

I'm not a hunter, gun owner, and don't wish to be. However, I respect people who hunt; at least they own the fact that they eat meat. I'm sure if I saw a dead deer bleeding all over the road I'd be shocked too. But it's part of the culture here.

I was a little taken aback about your claim on pedophiles. Do you have some hard core numbers to back that up? Because with the number of people living in CA, I'm sure they have more pedophiles than NH. As for crime in general, surely you're mistaken. I'm sure parts of Manchester should be avoided at night, but I have yet to read about drive by shootings since I got here, something I heard about almost every single day when I lived in L.A.

Now maybe I'm biased because I didn't grow up in L.A (Chicago), but really if you're going to move to New England you have to expect COLD SNOWY WEATHER. Period.

I'm also very sorry you found people to be cold and distant. I have found people here to be quite the opposite. Not that they're knocking me over with friendliness, but people here are quite open and welcoming. It's too bad that was not your experience, as I think that might've made a difference in your outlook.

Now I'm sure politically NH may be more conservative than I'm used to, but our neighbor across the street has an Obama sign on his lawn, so things can't be all that bad (no tomatoes please!).

Hope you find what you really want in SoCal. We found what we wanted here.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times
Jayne, you are doing what i did in reverse!
I moved from NH to SoCal then back to NH

Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,798 times
"I believe anyplace you go can be good or bad depending on your attitude and commitments to making it work."

I agree with Capt Job 100%. There's a lot to love about southern CA (I guess), there's a lot to love about NH. It's easy to get caught up in a fantasy about what life in a certain place would be like, but if you act on that daydream and the reality is different, it just means you moved too impulsively or weren't realistic. Nh has a harsh climate; that's one of the things I miss about it when I'm here in predictable old CA. I eat meat, so it would be hypocritical of me to condemn people who hunt, as long as they're killing humanely and responsibly and eating what they kill. And as for people being unfriendly, sometimes you have to give people a little time but it sounds like you knew right away NH wasn't for you. Anyway, people move all the time (I've moved 11 times in the past 10 years), it's natural to like some places more than others, and it's a big country - thank goodness we don't all want to live in the same spot. Why be bitter when it doesn't work out or condemn a whole state based on personal experience in one town?

Old 08-18-2008, 09:59 PM

885 posts, read 2,661,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzet2262 View Post
[font="Comic Sans MS"][color="DarkRed"]Ok I think we need to calm down you guys. Geez, I dont even know where to start here We have to let people speak who have a opinion. Just because they dont feel the way you do, doesnt make them wrong, just makes it not the place for them to live. I understand about you all wanting to stand up for your state, belive me I do. It is one of the things I admire about all of you. You love NH with a passion. But lets show folks who dont like it here, and who post their feelings that you are gracious enough to accept their feelings. You are more than welcome to comment away on what they say, but just in a respectful way. Do it for your Mod, lol, as it makes my job much easier.
Sorry, I can't drink the moderated Kool-Aid (TM Kraft Foods). I think the OP got the same respect her post demonstrated:
"Where do I even begin with this crappy state?"
"On top of that the people are cold and distant."
"these people are all gun nuts!"
"And the freaks in this icy hellhole seem to think it's just fine and normal!"
"This whole place is absolutely insane and I can't wait to get my husband and kids the hell out of here."
"We are headed back to southern california and we're leaving the deer killers, snotty natives and idiotic gun nuts behind! "
"And what are these backward hick cops doing about it?"

In fact, just quoting that vitriol got me more riled up. OP was directly insulting to state natives and residents. OP reminds this freak of a previous forum visitor who allowed her husband to go through four months of one of the most grueling police training programs in the country only to whine the poor guy back to the sun belt 6 months later.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:19 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynesmithers View Post
By the way, I apologize if my message offended anyone. I did not mean to be nasty ...
But you WERE nasty. It doesn't matter what you meant.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:31 PM

452 posts, read 1,734,092 times
Now, everybody, just hold on to your snub nose for a moment here! I think your not seeing the true value of Jaynesmitters post. There are some "particular" people who may consider her post invaluable when considering moving into NH. They just may read this post and decide not to relocate here after all........sweet!.........if you get my drift.

However, I sure have to admit that this post seems to have brought everyone off the couch. Thanks to all you posters who defended our State. If I wasn't in Repp jail, I'd need my 10 gauge to send them out to all of you. But, just keep this post handy. Never can tell when it could be the best defense of all (tongue in cheek)!

Old 08-19-2008, 12:37 AM

213 posts, read 508,004 times
Theres really so much I'd like to say but I dont live here-yet-I just want you guys to know that we, who reside in Calif. are not all like that OP.

Old 08-19-2008, 05:44 AM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post
Now, everybody, just hold on to your snub nose for a moment here! I think your not seeing the true value of Jaynesmitters post. There are some "particular" people who may consider her post invaluable when considering moving into NH. They just may read this post and decide not to relocate here after all........sweet!.........if you get my drift.
Yes, this is really true, thanks for point it out. I think in particular the weather can be a load of bricks for people who have always lived in mild climates. Some of my SoCal friends were born in Taiwan, grew up in L.A. When they visited Chicago or the east coast in the winter it was just too much for them. They knew they would never live in a place like this soley because of weather.

So, as off-putting as a post like this might be, it can serve a useful purpose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire