Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2008, 12:34 PM

40 posts, read 100,778 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

A few more questions for the NH experts.

Our family will relocate in June 2009 to Southern New Hampshire and we would like find a either a house or an apartment for the first year until we get a feel for the lay of the land, so to speak.

Ideally, we would like a four bedroom with 2 bathrooms and a two car garage for around 2K a month. Is that unreasonable in the Southern NH? We are looking in the Londonderry, Hollis, Amherst, Brookline areas. I understand that there are not many apts available except in the cities and while we don't really want to live in an apt we "think" we may be safer with maintenance if we are dealing with a management company. Are houses typically rented through a management company or privately?

We hope to avoid living in Nashua or Manchester as we are anxious to stay away from city problems such as crime and traffic.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2008, 03:15 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,703,006 times
I'm pretty sure that is a reasonable expectation...Valerie C might be able to answer better than me - and there are a bunch of people in the Bedford area that can answer.

Good luck, and it's a good thing to plan in advance.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:38 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,065,072 times
There is a house down the road from us in Hollis with a for-rent sign out front, it was just totally re-done and looks gorgeous as we drive by. No idea how much it is but there are definitely homes out there for rent!

Remember with a private landlord you can always write-up a document specifying the time in which a repair will be made, etc...that you/they sign as part of the agreement. Even with a larger company its key to have everything in writing.

Old 08-30-2008, 11:29 PM

452 posts, read 1,732,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeTalk View Post
Hi All,

Ideally, we would like a four bedroom with 2 bathrooms and a two car garage for around 2K a month. Is that unreasonable in the Southern NH?
Sounds doable....

Quote:
We are looking in the Londonderry, Hollis, Amherst, Brookline areas. I understand that there are not many apts available except in the cities and while we don't really want to live in an apt we "think" we may be safer with maintenance if we are dealing with a management company.
Great towns but, I'm not sure what you mean by maintenance. If you coulb be a little more specific.....

Quote:
Are houses typically rented through a management company or privately?
Both.

Quote:
We hope to avoid living in Nashua or Manchester as we are anxious to stay away from city problems such as crime and traffic.
I've been doing exactly that all my life......

Old 08-31-2008, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthibodeau View Post
Great towns but, I'm not sure what you mean by maintenance. If you coulb be a little more specific.....
Thanks for the responses . . . as for maintenance, our experience with renting has only been with management companies (apt rental) and when there is plumbing or HVAC problem, etc., you call the management company and poof, a repair person shows up.

With renting privately, what motivation does the property owner have to correct the problem in a timely matter? Are renters protected in the event the property owner does correct the matter?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:44 PM

Is it okay to bump my own message?

Old 09-03-2008, 03:55 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,264,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeTalk View Post
Is it okay to bump my own message?
Per the terms of service (TOS), "Do not post in your thread ("bumping" it) just to have it appear on the top of the forum."

But thats ok, we'll let it slide this time

As noted above, Valerie C should be able to post some useful information for as she knows the southern NH market. You could also peruse Craigslist or the local newspapers in Nashua, Manchester, etc to get an idea as to what rentals are going for currenty to give you a general idea as to what to expect.

Old 09-03-2008, 05:19 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,943,398 times
Thanks vter for letting the bump slide (oh that sounds a little um, suspicious, doesn't it LOL) I'm glad you did bump it though, CoffeeTalk, I don't think I saw your question before...

I did a quick search on the MLS for you in the towns that you asked about. There were a total of 27 listings, 9 of which were $2000 or under. Three bedrooms are more common, 4 on a rental is something you don't see available very often. I'll include the link in a DM (is a TOS violation if I were to post it here? I think so, because that would be making my info "public"?) I'm not sure, so better to DM

I would also take vter's advice and check the local papers (Home - EagleTribune.com, North Andover, MA, UnionLeader.com - New Hampshire news, business and sports, Nashuatelegraph.com: Frontpage : News and Classifieds from Southern New Hampshire) and also craigslist.com-- Keep in mind on craigslist that many of the listings are posted by agents, and many don't make that fact known within the posting...

Old 09-03-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Per the terms of service (TOS), "Do not post in your thread ("bumping" it) just to have it appear on the top of the forum."

But thats ok, we'll let it slide this time

As noted above, Valerie C should be able to post some useful information for as she knows the southern NH market. You could also peruse Craigslist or the local newspapers in Nashua, Manchester, etc to get an idea as to what rentals are going for currenty to give you a general idea as to what to expect.
Please accept my sincere apologies - it won't happen again

Old 09-03-2008, 06:37 PM

Thank you Valarie, I am still new here and learning my way around the thread. I read all of your posts with great interest. I try to arm myself with as much info as possible.

My husband will be up in February and hopes to make some contacts. I am so grateful to all of the posters here who have shared their knowledge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire