Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 04:37 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,568,482 times

Advertisements

From reading this board, I have a pretty good idea of what people are like in the Seacoast of NH (wonderful!). But how are the people in Boston?
It seems wiser to get opinion from NH folks instead of the Bostonians themselves as they may have a hard time taking a long look (at themselves).
I've heard alot of negativity when it comes to the snootiness and clannishness of Bostonians. Is this true? I have also heard that if you aren't from Massachusetts, they act as if you are a zero, a nothing. True or not?
Can I expect the same personality in the Seacoast area of NH and Boston or are they totally different?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 10:58 AM

Nobody has an opinion? Now THAT is interesting.....

Old 11-05-2007, 11:02 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
People in Boston I think tend to be taken as snobby and snooty, but when you can take some time to get to know, you realize that everyone is BUSY, running here and there. It doesn't seem to matter what stage of life someone is, from twenty-somethings to retired, nobody I know in Boston has time for a quiet moment to enjoy life. Or maybe,just maybe, that is how they DO enjoy life I just wish they'd hang up their cell phones and drive (my pet peeve!)

The old New England way is to be very reserved with those you don't know. There's not alot of "just add water and POOF instant friendship" that I saw in the midwest. Yes there can be a certain amount of irritation when you can't seem to make a quick connection, but it's so much less shallow that way. Of course, that's just my opinion, which is worth exactly what you paid for it

Old 11-05-2007, 11:46 AM

951 posts, read 1,655,696 times
You might get better results if you move this thread to the Boston section of the Massachusetts forum.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:48 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
lol! you mean, you're asking a forum that has an obvious bias against it's own (small) cities and against it's southern neighbor, for an 'honest' opinion about probably the largest city in New England? I'm amazed at the restraint!

Actually, I suspect you're thinking about Beacon Hill when you talk about the snooty behavior. That's the classic 'upper crust' area. Boston's a big city, it's going to have nice people and creeps. It has really really lousy driving, and it can get flipping hot even by the end of May. It's busy, it's bustling, it has great history, lots of cultural opportunities...

There's also a lot of suburbs around Boston that are very quaint, and can be very nice so one doesn't have to live in the city. I know people from Lexington, Concord & Acton that are all wonderful. Mind you.. *I* don't want to live in Mass.....

Old 11-05-2007, 01:11 PM

2,392 posts, read 2,540,835 times
Boston is a great city! Yet, it's just that - a city...and all that comes with it: traffic, noise, hustle, bustle, no time to chit chat, gotta be where you're not 'cuz they're important like that.

Nobody has ever been outwardly rude or mean. I've done day trips to Boston & fly into Logan airport. Now I've been in NYC for two days & that was enough for me. Boston, I'd like to spend more time there, just haven't. I've been in LA for a few hours & couldn't wait to get back home. So it's all going to be relative to your own experiences (I know you already knew that).

The drivers, yes part of the Bostonian personality. I've driven in LA, the 405 at rush hour & LAX at its busiest...doesn't compare to Boston. In Boston, know where you're going, get there fast & stay outta' the way! A friend of mine from Boston, lived in LA awhile & she had to learn what it meant to yield to oncoming traffic. She said, "We just go when the light is green...& even when it's not sometimes." (btw, she was nice as can be)

In Cali, there's the shiny veneer, but not always lasting friendships...or some are just fair weather friends (maybe it's all that sunshine). In New England, well there's the reserved nature, that ValC noted. I think the original colonies will always have their rivalries, but it seems to me in the end they are all still New Englanders (yankees seem to stick together). They are direct & straight-to-the point & if they don't need to be in your business, then they're not. But they will state their honest opinion...sometimes when you're least expecting it. Most have a dry sense of humor too.

I do touristy things while in Boston, & I don't seem to notice any annoying things about the people (trust me...I get annoyed when warranted). Mind you, I'm not there making friends, but customer service has been exceptional in all my experiences.

I admire its architecture, the history, the culture, the diversity, & oh - the accent (the best). I enjoy people watching...I like how everyone has something to do & they do it fast. And I too, like WannaComeHome said... "don't want to live in Mass..." But I surely do enjoy visiting!

Last edited by ~Boo~; 11-05-2007 at 01:29 PM..

Old 11-05-2007, 02:38 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,949,596 times
Hiya Tootsie
Sometimes you gotta let your posts sit and marinate here for a day or two, let people have a chance to read them not everyone lucky to be in the office and able to surf the city data forum, savvy? Good!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post

Old 11-06-2007, 04:57 AM

188 posts, read 989,430 times
Bostonians are like people from most cities. (Materialistic, fast paced, and sophisticated.) And of course the false sense of importance that many think they have by living in the "center of New England."

Old 11-06-2007, 06:12 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
I think I've found that people in Mass/Boston are very direct. They don't sugar coat anything for you and tell u like it is. My entire husbands family is from Mass and for years when we were dating I thought they all hated me! I've found they're just saying it how it is and if you don't like it then they'll tell ya where the door is!! Sometimes I have to remind my husband when he's on the phone with people to "talk nicely" . I called them all Ma**holes forever. Now that I understand their way of talking and conversing things back to me I wouldn't trade em for the world. Overall people in Mass are just fine. They're just not gonna give you the "hey ya'll" southern hospitality. A lot of them up here are old yankees, they wanna feel ya out before they start bringing cookies to your house.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:27 AM

Interesting... Mass/Boston is the exact opposite of Texas/Houston then where they will smile in your face, promise you things..and never deliver. It's ALL puff there.
Chicago is direct and straight...and friendly in the Midwest. Unfortunately, the city has been ruined slowly over the years, so not interested, thanks.
I just hope the Bostonians are friendly? I can handle direct and straight (and so much prefer it), but friendly would be nice.
And, yeah..Texas definitely has that "you aint'" poop "unless y'er from Texas" mentality, too. It got sickening there. Mass must be the same way. I get what you are saying.
I almost think that Texas and Mass must be the only two States like this (and how did I get so lucky as to go to both?).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire