Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 01:34 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,344,504 times

Advertisements

This year we are planning on tripling our garden size.
Given the current economic situation of the country and the inevitable rise in oil and gas prices (and food) we have decided that we would grow and and put up lots more vegetables than we have in the past several years. We're hoping to not only save some money but be eating much more healthy with foods free of insecticides, etc.
I am spending part of the weekend moving my "special organic fertilizer" from the sheep shed to the garden area where I'm mixing it with some other organic materials for a few more weeks of decomposition before I till it in. I'm really wishing I had a tractor now.
DW is sorting through seed packets and making a list of what seedlings and seeds we'll need to get. She's also starting a plot map to lay out what we're going grow.

Anybody else have gardening on their mind?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:03 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,064,634 times
Yes! We have too many trees to build a proper garden now- but since so many were heavily damaged by the ice storm (no more branches) we're going to get a lot taken down and hopefully get a garden built for planting next year (raised bed).

I may do some potted gardening though- Strawberries, Blueberries, Tomatoes, Potatoes, etc...

Sames reasons as you for building it though...We're thinking of adding some fruit & nut trees as well...

Old 03-21-2009, 02:18 PM

3,859 posts, read 10,324,295 times
Yes getting ready for my garden as well. We hit a few stores and eyed out some things and we are starting to make a list and design the lay out of this year's garden. We plan on growing a lot of veggies in the garden, have lots of flowers in the boxes etc. I plan on growing some lavender as well this year-just for fun.

It will be a little different this year as we are in a townhome and we are used to having huge gardens in the back yard and this year we have a few plots at the community garden. There will still be lots of space- it will just be a new experience and we are looking forward to it. In addition to our garden, we will do some growing on our deck as well.

As a kid in NJ, we used to grow every veggie you can imagine-fruit too-and I would say our garden was the number one source of our food back then. We used to freeze and can as well and enjoy the food all year round. I look forward to getting back to that.

I am so looking forward to be able to get out in the garden and work with the earth-such a great feeling!

Last edited by nicolem; 03-21-2009 at 02:28 PM..

Old 03-21-2009, 03:37 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
This year we are planning on tripling our garden size.
Given the current economic situation of the country and the inevitable rise in oil and gas prices (and food) we have decided that we would grow and and put up lots more vegetables than we have in the past several years. We're hoping to not only save some money but be eating much more healthy with foods free of insecticides, etc.
I am spending part of the weekend moving my "special organic fertilizer" from the sheep shed to the garden area where I'm mixing it with some other organic materials for a few more weeks of decomposition before I till it in. I'm really wishing I had a tractor now.
DW is sorting through seed packets and making a list of what seedlings and seeds we'll need to get. She's also starting a plot map to lay out what we're going grow.

Anybody else have gardening on their mind?
If you haven't joined the local CSA in your area I would recommend it. Soils are excellent in the Merrimack Valley region for growing many varieties of vegetables as well as fruits. I had a banner blueberry crop last year from the five mature bushes. Strawberries are much harder to grow and need more attention. Tomatoes tend to have problems with excessive rainfall, however. Last summer was very bad on that regard.
I completely agree with you in terms of concentrating on growing vegetables and fruits yourself. I don't trust the FDA very much anymore, and many foods still have way too many additives, preservatives, pesticides, hormones, etc.

Old 03-21-2009, 04:50 PM

680 posts, read 2,439,670 times
Yes, we're getting excited too and have bought a bunch of seeds and some indoor seed starter sets. I was talking with someone who works at Lull Farm today and she said they already planted their raspberries. I need to learn more about our fruit trees and see if they need to be pruned.

Are we pretty confident that southern NH has had its last frost?

Old 03-21-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
If you haven't joined the local CSA in your area I would recommend it. Soils are excellent in the Merrimack Valley region for growing many varieties of vegetables as well as fruits. I had a banner blueberry crop last year from the five mature bushes. Strawberries are much harder to grow and need more attention. Tomatoes tend to have problems with excessive rainfall, however. Last summer was very bad on that regard.
I completely agree with you in terms of concentrating on growing vegetables and fruits yourself. I don't trust the FDA very much anymore, and many foods still have way too many additives, preservatives, pesticides, hormones, etc.
We have thought about starting a CSA here not joining one. We live in a rural community with several farms and a couple CSA's. I just couldn't justify buying shares of someone elses CSA when we grow our own.

Your right about rich soil here. Blackest in the state. Makes me sad to see so many houses and developments on what once was prime farmland.

I take my tomatoes seriously, we put up more tomatoes than any other crop. Easy to grow, easy to can. Try raised beds with decent drainage if too much water is a problem for you.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2008 View Post
Yes, we're getting excited too and have bought a bunch of seeds and some indoor seed starter sets. I was talking with someone who works at Lull Farm today and she said they already planted their raspberries. I need to learn more about our fruit trees and see if they need to be pruned.

Saw something about snow tomorrow or Monday!!!

I always get excited about starting seeds this time of year. As we don't have a greenhouse (yet) everything is started in doors on the table, window sills, etc. I have had to give away or compost many plants started to soon and no place to transplant them to.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:57 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,687,867 times
Quote:

Generally, it's said that Memorial Day is when you don't have to worry about frost any more. If you're attentive, you can plant earlier, but listen to weather forecasts and be prepared to cover things if needed.
I've seen snow storms and ice storms as late as 10 days into May.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bignhfamily View Post
We have thought about starting a CSA here not joining one. We live in a rural community with several farms and a couple CSA's. I just couldn't justify buying shares of someone elses CSA when we grow our own.

Your right about rich soil here. Blackest in the state. Makes me sad to see so many houses and developments on what once was prime farmland.

I take my tomatoes seriously, we put up more tomatoes than any other crop. Easy to grow, easy to can. Try raised beds with decent drainage if too much water is a problem for you.
I guess I sort of get a 2 for 1 because I grow a lot of vegetables and fruits along with buying the CSA shares. I really don't trust the FDA after the last peanut samonella outbreak The more local foods that I buy the fresher they will be. Another added benefit is that you are indirectly reducing pollution by purchasing locally instead of depending on produce trucked in from much longer distances.
Thanks for the tip on the tomatoes.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:

Southern NH has frost up until late May during some years. The core growing season in most areas of the state is between June through mid September. The further north you go in the state the shorter the growing season. Northern NH can have a frost or freeze in June and August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire