Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2009, 07:50 PM

18 posts, read 85,813 times

Advertisements

Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. We are going to have to check out those pizza places. We'll let you know our verdict.

We came up a couple of weekends ago and stayed in Manchester, near the LL Bean Outlet - I guess that's not the downtown area of the city. We never got to Nashua. Would you say that Nashua is more quaint than Manchester? We really like Portsmouth and Portland, ME is Nashua anything like those cities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2009, 08:08 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
well, I wouldn't call Nashua 'quaint'... Manchester is the biggest city in the state (the Queen City), Nashua is #2. It doesn't have Manchester's old mills, but it's mostly basic city with neighborhoods, and lots of shopping. just smaller than Manchester.

Old 03-25-2009, 09:09 PM

680 posts, read 2,440,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALSM View Post
Thank you everyone for all your suggestions. We are going to have to check out those pizza places. We'll let you know our verdict.

We came up a couple of weekends ago and stayed in Manchester, near the LL Bean Outlet - I guess that's not the downtown area of the city. We never got to Nashua. Would you say that Nashua is more quaint than Manchester? We really like Portsmouth and Portland, ME is Nashua anything like those cities?

No. Nashua is mostly suburban sprawl. There is a downtown area that's charming but very small. Supposedly there are some good restaurants and you can probably find anything you need there (Asian markets, film festivals, symphony) but it has never struck me as particularly quaint or bustling.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:15 AM

909 posts, read 3,364,186 times
Quote:

We just went to downtown Nashua this past weekend. It was very nice. Not quite as urban looking as Manchester. If we weren't pressed for time we could've walked around some more. Normally when we go to Nashua it's for the Costco. And pp is right it's more suburban than Manchester.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,852,079 times
Quote:
I believe you were near the Mall of NH just south of 293. Downtown is a few miles north of that location. Portsmouth and Portland may have more of that quaint factor as they are on the water. All of these towns have old buildings and interesting architecture. Manchester has a more industrial feel than Nashua. The surrounding towns have some quaint areas. Check the Amherst village next time you are up this way; it is a national historic landmark...

Old 03-26-2009, 09:44 AM

Portsmouth and Portland also have more of a bustling urban feel, I think. Lots of artsy/cultural stuff, little boutiques, neat neighborhoods to walk around, etc. Nashua is more of a modern, car-oriented city - instead of walking around old winding streets, you get in your car and go to a big chain store. (There are some boutiques too, but it's just a very different feel than either of those cities.)

Amherst is beautiful and I'd definitely consider it along with Bedford and Hollis.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:18 AM

Smile Bedford Neighborhoods

I think we're leaning towards Bedford.
We really liked the feel of Bedford. We took the kids to the playground on Nashua Road and really liked it. Are there other playgrounds/family areas in the town?

When we drove around though we didn't see any sidewalks in the neighborhoods. Is this typical? Are there any neighborhoods with sidewalks or that are especially family/kid friendly? We drove around the three corners and liked that area, the houses were maybe just a little too close to each other than what we are looking for, but we liked the idea of having a pond close by. Is Hollis the same way in terms of sidewalks in neighborhoods?

Another question is about schools in Bedford. The population is almost double of Hollis's and we are a little concerned about class size in the schools. What is the typical class size in the elementary schools? Are the elementary schools K-5 and then middle school 6-8? Does the class sizes go up a lot after they start the middle and high schools b/c of the combining of the elementary schools?

Thank you. Sorry this is so long but we have a lot of questions

Old 04-29-2009, 08:37 AM

1,384 posts, read 4,452,661 times
We considered both towns before buying in Hollis. I strongly recommend calling the school(s) your children would be attending with a list of questions in advance. Bedford accomodates its student population with multiple elementary schools. I would call at least one of them and ask questions, particularly about class sizes and culture. Pretty sure one or two of them service parts of Bedford which aren't so densely populated, offering less of a suburban feel and more of a small town feel, but don't quote me on that. If schools are important to you, it may help direct your home search if you are buying.

Do not hesitate to call all the schools your children would be attending there to ask whatever questions you have. I found both Bedford and Hollis school administration to be courteous and helpful. We were even offered a tour of the upper elementary in Hollis during the summer break.

Where are you coming from on LI? You will most likely be surprised by the personal attention and courtesy offered in NH. When you call schools, for example, people will take their time with you, no attitudes, etc. Best of luck to you.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:58 AM

Thank you Lisa. I'm going to take your advice and call the schools.
We're from the north shore of Nassau County, Glen Head.

Are you happy you chose Hollis? I really loved Bedford and I think we could get more house for the money there as well as lower taxes, I'm just not sure about the size of the town/schools. That's my only concern about Bedford.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:46 AM

I think you have to go with your gut. My guess is that the demographics on both towns would be very similar but that people who love Hollis wouldn't dream of living in Bedford and vice versa. Bedford would certainly feel more similar to the suburbs of Long Island. Hollis has developments but actively works to limit them and preserve the small town/farm community feel. I don't think you would go wrong with the schools in either town. If you love it and you're happy with what you hear from the administration, I would go for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire