Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:41 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,450,481 times

Advertisements

The Maine State Senate just approved a gay marriage bill, and it appears that it's likely to be approved by the Maine House.

It would seem to be following pretty much the same track as the bill in New Hampshire ... approved by the legislature and sent to the Governor ... and no one knows what he'll do with it.

Old 04-30-2009, 11:50 AM

86 posts, read 239,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
The Maine State Senate just approved a gay marriage bill, and it appears that it's likely to be approved by the Maine House.

It would seem to be following pretty much the same track as the bill in New Hampshire ... approved by the legislature and sent to the Governor ... and no one knows what he'll do with it.
I think most states will allow same sex thing because it all boils down to voters and each governor is getting something out of it money wise. If nothing was in it for them not 1 state would have approved it.

Old 04-30-2009, 02:30 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,545,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dognh View Post
There is no such thing as "gay marriage" no matter what some clown at the State House says.
Bingo

Old 04-30-2009, 02:33 PM

371 posts, read 1,162,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffie View Post
I think most states will allow same sex thing because it all boils down to voters and each governor is getting something out of it money wise. If nothing was in it for them not 1 state would have approved it.
Actually, this might be the one and only case where pols are NOT doing it for the money. I think it's pure fear. They're a bunch of cowards and afraid of being called homophobes or whatever. It's sad really.

Old 04-30-2009, 06:24 PM

3,034 posts, read 9,141,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffie View Post
So who exactly marries these people?
I know no church will and rightfully so.
believe it or not - the majority of marriages do not take place in a church and rightfully so.

the governor will veto the bill - he's already said that many times.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:36 AM

86 posts, read 239,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buck naked View Post
believe it or not - the majority of marriages do not take place in a church and rightfully so.

the governor will veto the bill - he's already said that many times.
What kind of Church?

I know most are opposed to same sex marriages so there for it would blasphemous to do such a thing.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:25 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
If two people want to pledge themselves to each other, regardless of sexual orientation, and desire a state sactioned marrage, I have no objection and wish them the best. What they do with each other is none of my business. "Live Free or Die"
How about a 47 year old man and an 11 year old boy?
How about two sisters? A brother and sister? A father and daughter?
Why limit it to two people; how about three men?
Why not one man and 17 women?

Old 05-02-2009, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
How about a 47 year old man and an 11 year old boy?
How about two sisters? A brother and sister? A father and daughter?
Why limit it to two people; how about three men?
Why not one man and 17 women?
Hey, if that's what New Hampshire wants ... personally, I think that would be taking the "live free or die" thing a bit too far.

However, as is often the case, reading the bill is a good idea.

"457:1 Purpose and Intent. The purpose of this chapter is to affirm the right of 2 individuals desiring to marry and who otherwise meet the eligibility requirements of this chapter to have their marriage solemnized in a religious or civil ceremony in accordance with the provisions of this chapter."

"457:2 Marriages Prohibited. No person shall marry his or her father, mother, father’s brother, father’s sister, mother’s brother, mother’s sister, son, daughter, brother, sister, son’s son, son’s daughter, daughter’s son, daughter’s daughter, brother’s son, brother’s daughter, sister’s son, sister’s daughter, father’s brother’s son, father’s brother’s daughter, mother’s brother’s son, mother’s brother’s daughter, father’s sister’s son, father’s sister’s daughter, mother’s sister’s son, or mother’s sister’s daughter. No person shall be allowed to be married to more than one person at any given time."

"457:4 Marriageable. No male below the age of 14 years and no female below the age of 13 years shall be capable of contracting a valid marriage that is entered into by one male and one female, and all marriages contracted by such persons shall be null and void. No male below the age of 18 and no female below the age of 18 shall be capable of contracting a valid marriage between persons of the same gender, and all marriages contracted by such persons shall be null and void."

(The highlighting in the passage above is the way it appears in the bill itself. I'm guessing that the legislators wanted to reassure New Hampshire's heterosexuals that they may continue as desired to "rob the cradle", but that gays may not do so.)

The bill goes on to say that although same sex marriages may be performed in churches ....

"457:37 Affirmation of Freedom of Religion in Marriage. Members of the clergy as described in RSA 457:31 or other persons otherwise authorized under law to solemnize a marriage shall not be obligated or otherwise required by law to officiate at any particular civil marriage or religious rite of marriage in violation of their right to free exercise of religion protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution or by part I, article 5 of the New Hampshire constitution."

Old 05-02-2009, 07:21 AM

2,649 posts, read 3,545,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Hey, if that's what New Hampshire wants ... personally, I think that would be taking the "live free or die" thing a bit too far.

However, as is often the case, reading the bill is a good idea.

"457:1 Purpose and Intent. The purpose of this chapter is to affirm the right of 2 individuals desiring to marry and who otherwise meet the eligibility requirements of this chapter to have their marriage solemnized in a religious or civil ceremony in accordance with the provisions of this chapter."

"457:2 Marriages Prohibited. No person shall marry his or her father, mother, father’s brother, father’s sister, mother’s brother, mother’s sister, son, daughter, brother, sister, son’s son, son’s daughter, daughter’s son, daughter’s daughter, brother’s son, brother’s daughter, sister’s son, sister’s daughter, father’s brother’s son, father’s brother’s daughter, mother’s brother’s son, mother’s brother’s daughter, father’s sister’s son, father’s sister’s daughter, mother’s sister’s son, or mother’s sister’s daughter. No person shall be allowed to be married to more than one person at any given time."

"457:4 Marriageable. No male below the age of 14 years and no female below the age of 13 years shall be capable of contracting a valid marriage that is entered into by one male and one female, and all marriages contracted by such persons shall be null and void. No male below the age of 18 and no female below the age of 18 shall be capable of contracting a valid marriage between persons of the same gender, and all marriages contracted by such persons shall be null and void."

(The highlighting in the passage above is the way it appears in the bill itself. I'm guessing that the legislators wanted to reassure New Hampshire's heterosexuals that they may continue as desired to "rob the cradle", but that gays may not do so.)

The bill goes on to say that although same sex marriages may be performed in churches ....

"457:37 Affirmation of Freedom of Religion in Marriage. Members of the clergy as described in RSA 457:31 or other persons otherwise authorized under law to solemnize a marriage shall not be obligated or otherwise required by law to officiate at any particular civil marriage or religious rite of marriage in violation of their right to free exercise of religion protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution or by part I, article 5 of the New Hampshire constitution."
457:2 Marriages Prohibited. No person shall marry his or her father, mother, father’s brother, father’s sister, mother’s brother, mother’s sister, son, daughter, brother, sister, son’s son, son’s daughter, daughter’s son, daughter’s daughter, brother’s son, brother’s daughter, sister’s son, sister’s daughter, father’s brother’s son, father’s brother’s daughter, mother’s brother’s son, mother’s brother’s daughter, father’s sister’s son, father’s sister’s daughter, mother’s sister’s son, or mother’s sister’s daughter. No person shall be allowed to be married to more than one person at any given time."

"457:4 Marriageable. No male below the age of 14 years and no female below the age of 13 years shall be capable of contracting a valid marriage that is entered into by one male and one female, and all marriages contracted by such persons shall be null and void. [i][b]No male below the age of 18 and no female below the age of 18 shall be capable of contracting a valid marriage between persons of the same gender, and all marriages contracted by such persons shall be null and void.

Why the prohibitions? if it is good for one alternative group, then why not all. If I decided that your ten year old daughter looked like a good deal why shouldn't she be able to consent.. why is the goverment forcing it's morality on her and me..it ain't fair!

If my daughter wants to be daddys main squeeze, who are you to judge us?

Oh wait you do already, tahts why we have these laws, thats why we had laws that said no to gay marriage..until we as a society got stupid..then we will wonder years from now how it is we have fallen so far when kids are legally engaged in same sex encounters protected by "civil" rights. Slow and steady is how erosion occurs.

Old 05-02-2009, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
"457:4 Marriageable. No male below the age of 14 years and no female below the age of 13 years shall be capable of contracting a valid marriage that is entered into by one male and one female, and all marriages contracted by such persons shall be null and void. [i][b]No male below the age of 18 and no female below the age of 18 shall be capable of contracting a valid marriage between persons of the same gender, and all marriages contracted by such persons shall be null and void.

Why the prohibitions? if it is good for one alternative group, then why not all.
Actually, prohibitions on who may marry who in New Hampshire are nothing new. The existing law includes this:

"457:4 Marriageable. – No male below the age of 14 years and no female below the age of 13 years shall be capable of contracting a valid marriage, and all marriages contracted by such persons shall be null and void."

I assume that when the NH state legislature put together the gay marriage bill, they felt a need to state that both parties entering into such a marriage be "of age" (i.e., at least 18). But they kept the existing language (and age requirement, such as it is) in place for heterosexual couples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyDave View Post
If my daughter wants to be daddys main squeeze, who are you to judge us?

Oh wait you do already, tahts why we have these laws, thats why we had laws that said no to gay marriage..until we as a society got stupid..then we will wonder years from now how it is we have fallen so far when kids are legally engaged in same sex encounters protected by "civil" rights. Slow and steady is how erosion occurs.
And that same law that said no to gay marriage also said yes to an old (but straight) geezer marrying a 13-year-old girl, something that the new law would continue to protect. Well, at least that's one right that isn't eroding, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire