Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 09:03 AM

10,029 posts, read 15,679,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

I assume that when the NH state legislature put together the gay marriage bill, they felt a need to state that both parties entering into such a marriage be "of age" (i.e., at least 18). But they kept the existing language (and age requirement, such as it is) in place for heterosexual couples.

Yes, ever heard of teen pregnancy? NH is far from the only state that has those sort of provisions, but you need to get permission from a judge.

A reminder to all - keep the discussion civil, please.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:41 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaseyB View Post
Yes, ever heard of teen pregnancy? NH is far from the only state that has those sort of provisions, but you need to get permission from a judge.
Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification. And maintaining those provisions in the new bill - and not extending them to gays - makes perfect sense in light of teen pregnancies.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:59 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,853,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gov. John Lynch
"I think the word marriage is reserved for a marriage between a man and a woman, and I think the real issues really are rights and protections for gay and lesbian couples."
After his statement in April, it would be political suicide for Lynch to not veto this legistlation. Unless he is going to give up the governor's seat to run for another office, he'll veto it...

Old 05-04-2009, 02:02 PM

758 posts, read 2,890,034 times
Quote:
Senate Passes Gay Marriage Bill
Good for NH! About time we start to put our state motto into practice.

The fact of the matter is that "marriage" has become 2 different institutions that people cannot seem to separate. One is a private ceremony between 2 (or more) people. It has many definitions depending on what the peoples' religion, philosophy, and belief system entails.

The other is the civil union as recognized by the government. The state should never have gotten involved in "marriage" in the first place.....but they did. The true solution to this is to get out of the marriage business altogether and only issue civil unions. As this is never going to happen, they are bound to offer the same rights to all consenting adults, regardless of sexual orientation. Any less is discriminatory, plain and simple.

Those people opposed to this are confusing their personal religious or moral beliefs with that of equal rights under the law. They are 2 separate issues.

I find the KKK morally reprehensible, but I fully support their right to peacefully exist, demonstrate, and speak their message. People can similarly find homosexual marriage morally wrong, but if they truly believe in the constitution and free society, they should support the right of homosexuals to marry within the confines of the law (and not the religious meaning of your choosing).

Supporters of liberty do not get to pick and choose which groups or causes to support based on personal opinions and morals. You are either for equal rights, or you are not

Last edited by fishnfool; 05-04-2009 at 02:11 PM..

Old 05-04-2009, 02:04 PM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Default It's not a matter of religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffie View Post
So who exactly marries these people?
I know no church will and rightfully so.
The Unitarian Universalist Church will most definately perform same sex weddings.....The United Church of Christ...Congregational will also! There is a local American Baptist Minister who performs same sex weddings and many liberal Jewish Temples perform and bless same sex marriages.

The ironic thing is I can be married by our minister in our church with the blessing of the congregation.....but our seperation of church and state Government...refuses to recognize my marriage, and a government official like a justice of the peace can't perform and "solemnize" a same sex marriage.

Last edited by CaseyB; 05-04-2009 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: too far off topic

Old 05-04-2009, 03:36 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,174,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishnfool View Post
Good for NH! About time we start to put our state motto into practice.

The fact of the matter is that "marriage" has become 2 different institutions that people cannot seem to separate. One is a private ceremony between 2 (or more) people. It has many definitions depending on what the peoples' religion, philosophy, and belief system entails.

The other is the civil union as recognized by the government. The state should never have gotten involved in "marriage" in the first place.....but they did. The true solution to this is to get out of the marriage business altogether and only issue civil unions. As this is never going to happen, they are bound to offer the same rights to all consenting adults, regardless of sexual orientation. Any less is discriminatory, plain and simple.

Those people opposed to this are confusing their personal religious or moral beliefs with that of equal rights under the law. They are 2 separate issues.

I find the KKK morally reprehensible, but I fully support their right to peacefully exist, demonstrate, and speak their message. People can similarly find homosexual marriage morally wrong, but if they truly believe in the constitution and free society, they should support the right of homosexuals to marry within the confines of the law (and not the religious meaning of your choosing).

Supporters of liberty do not get to pick and choose which groups or causes to support based on personal opinions and morals. You are either for equal rights, or you are not
Couldn't have said it better myself. Live free or die.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:59 PM

8,155 posts, read 21,012,444 times
Ah crap...I thought NH was one of the last hold outs in New England for reality and saneness.

Oh well, do what you want, just don't expect me to tell my kid that it's a "normal" or "natural" practice and don't force me too. (The state moniker is a two way street. )

Old 05-04-2009, 06:25 PM

69 posts, read 103,952 times
Come on all of you Christians. Where is the Love?

Old 05-04-2009, 07:53 PM

758 posts, read 2,890,034 times
Quote:
Ah crap...I thought NH was one of the last hold outs in New England for reality and saneness.
Since when did it become sane to withhold certain rights from a segment of the population based on religious or personal grounds?

Quote:
Oh well, do what you want, just don't expect me to tell my kid that it's a "normal" or "natural" practice and don't force me too. (The state moniker is a two way street. )
I think you'll find the people on the opposite side of the argument on this to be much more supportive of your right to live you life as you see fit and raise your children according to your belief system. They simply wish you would do the same.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:36 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,039,146 times
oh for goodness sake. I'm glad I've been away for 4 days. Didn't we already go through all this once before? We all know it is a polarizing situation. We all know that no one is going to change anyone's mind. We all know that we are not listening to the other's mind (and that some people seem to have a problem with the concept of consenting ADULTS and that 13 year old girls -or whatever- are not ADULTS and are not legally allowed to sign any contract on anything. sheesh). Dead people cannot sign contracts. Animals are not human, underage children (by definition) are not adults. Many acceptable religions (and some Christians ones!) consider multiple wives to be perfectly acceptable - just the rest of the country doesn't.
Stop throwing out straw targets.

and for those who seem to think that gays wouldn't be trying to get married if there weren't a tax advantage, guess again. For decades now, many gay/lesbians have been holding ceremonies (obviously not in most churches) and inviting friends and family to witness their vows to each other, same as any hetero- couple. Hetero couples have an incredibly high divorce rate, so why is there some stain on whether gay 'marriages' last 'til death do them part' or not? I know a few straight folks from here on their 2nd or 3 marriage.... why is that different? Are we going to start arguing Catholicism vs Protestantism marriage regs and claim its a gay/straight issue?

Honestly, just agree to disagree and move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire