Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2009, 08:36 PM

70 posts, read 385,610 times

Advertisements

So I've moved into my new apartment in Dover and I realized I'll be here for a month w/only homework to do and I don't know ANYONE in the area

so i started thinking... what does one do to make friends in a new town

i guess i'm looking for suggestions... clubs, gatherings, places to check out... does anyone have any suggestions on what a 27 yr old woman can do to meet new ppl or just have some fun by herself here?

Otherwise i'll just sit in my apartment doing homework until my fiance' moves in next month LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2009, 09:42 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,272 times
Portsmouth is nearby, plenty of live music and other events.

Likewise checkout meetup.com; there are a variety of groups out there from strange to normal...

Old 06-04-2009, 05:05 PM

1 posts, read 1,751 times
Welcome to Dover! You should check out Adelle's coffee shop (On Hale St, near the library, and behind Dos Amigos Burritos), and the Barley Pub (Central Ave), for a low-key place to grab a beer. Some people prefer the Brickhouse or RJ's (more of a "club" atmosphere). Also, do make the drive into Portsmouth, there is a little bit more going on there- lots of little shops, bars, and restaurants, and there are always plenty of people around on nice days- in portsmouth check out the Coat of Arms (bar), Friendly Toast (delicious!), Cafe Kilim (coffee), and Odd (cool second-hand clothes store). Also, the coastline is beautiful, if you like outdoors things.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:26 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,382,811 times
You might like to go to Market Square Day in Portsmouth on the 13th. Went to it every year growing up - haven't been to it in years because I haven't been around, but there's lots of music, people, good food, and shopping. It's basically a big block party in Market Square.

Market Square Day Annual Downtown Portsmouth New Hampshire Road Race and Festival

As for Dover, I'm not as familiar, but the downtown area is pretty nice, with Cocheco Falls and lots of good stuff mentioned previously. If you want to see a movie, go to the Strand downtown. It's an older style movie theater and not your megaplex type of atmosphere. Really cool.

I'm jealous - enjoy your time in Dover!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:32 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,277 times
I was in your shoes two years ago only living south of you in Hampton. I moved out before my fiance (now wife) and had no idea where to start.

We joined a few sports leagues from here and met a TON of people....many who I now consider very close friends. It's nothing too serious (if that wasn't obvious from the logo) and a lot of fun.

New Hampshire Sports & Social Club

Aside from that check out the craigslist activities section....it's pretty active with Seacoast activities. I've met up with a lot of people who are into my hobbies through that as well.

Lots of my friends live in Dover. There's a good crowd of upper 20 somethings there so just give it some time and stay proactive. Shoot me a message sometime with what you're into (activities/hobbies) and I might be able to connect you with some people too.

Old 06-05-2009, 09:29 AM

70 posts, read 385,610 times
thanks so much for the advice! my fiance will DEFINITELY appreciate the sports club info as he's very active in a bunch of stuff

i was thinking of picking up tennis over the summer b/c FH loves to play that and racquetball and i've never played either (well he tried to teach me tennis last weekend so I can say i've used a racket n hit a ball before) but haven't found any clinics or non-private lessons.

i'll check out craigslist too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire