Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2009, 01:53 PM

2,649 posts, read 3,545,173 times

Advertisements

The Robert Frost farm in Derry NH that is.

Robert is an interesting fellow, he was born in California, schooled in Mass, spent most of his life and died in Vermont, yet according to his own words was New Hampshire through and through.

Having been evicted and needing a place to live, the above farm was purchased for Robert by his grandfather, with the stipulation that he work it for ten years ( the terms were even included in the old mans will ) Robert was not much of a farmer and once his chief farm advisor had left he stopped turning a profit.

Frost at heart was a poet and it was on this farm in Derry NH he produced much of if not most of his works, mainly in this simple New England kitchen after the rest of teh family would retire for the night

It is said that Frost did not enjoy milking cows according to the customary and natural schedule of the cows and tried to get the cows to work ( with little success) on his schedule.

The day room above saw the deaths of Roberts son, and two men including his father in law who never much liked Robert, until he had grand children that is. His sons death was particularly tragic and was the basis of the poem Home burial. No the child is not buried on the property, a family dog however is.

This is the hired hands quarters just behind one of the childrens bedrooms. This was high living for hired farm hands back then. Inside and next to the chimney

Robert was not given to public speaking, which could have cost him a job and Pinkerton Academy , however a Reverend from Mass invited him t a men's meeting and told him to bring a poem along, Frost was about to declined the invite but his wife Elinor basically kicked him in the butt and told him to go. Still it was the Reverend and not Frost the read the poem, apparently it was good enough(?) to get him a position as a teacher.

The family left the farm in 1909 and sold it in 1911. It passed through the hands of five owners and was a junkyard before finally being restored under the guidance of Roberts eldest daughter in the eighties

This is the Mending Wall

It was Frosts neighbor who said fences make good neighbors as they both yearly mended the wall , Robert however would just as soon let the wall fall to the ground.

The Road Not Taken
Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;
Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,
And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.
I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I-
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 06:32 PM

586 posts, read 1,506,687 times
Two thumbs up, Dave! I tried to rep you but alas, I have to spread it around...

Old 05-24-2009, 11:16 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,950,928 times
The Robert Frost Farm is a great place to spend a couple of hours. Thanks for posting about it There is a nice walking trail that runs through the property, and a field/meadow of native flowers that is quite spectacular in summer months (tons of small butterflies, etc). Did you happen to notice the Children's Garden on the parking side of the building? The garden is maintained by the Derry Garden Club and the Derry Diggers (kids who attend programs at the Derry Boys and Girls Club, where we hold our meetings).

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z275/ValerieC424/towns/FrostFarmChildsGarden1.jpg (broken link)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z275/ValerieC424/towns/FrostFarmChildsGarden2.jpg (broken link)

For more info on the Derry Garden Club, and what the club members do for the Robert Frost Farm and other spots in the community, check out: Derry Garden Club's Activities:
(Scroll down past the flower show info )

Old 06-01-2009, 06:29 PM

104 posts, read 467,276 times
Thanks so much for sharing that information about Robert Frost, and especially sharing the poem "The Road Less Travelled". That is one of my all-time favorite poems!

Old 06-01-2009, 07:50 PM

680 posts, read 2,441,039 times
Awesome, thanks!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:05 PM
SFT

79 posts, read 207,394 times
Nice post, still have never been there despite it being within half an hour of my house and driving past it a few times. Maybe I will have to make the trip sometime soon.

That is also one of my favorite poems. I'm not overly into poetry, but I have always just really liked that one.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:41 AM

259 posts, read 988,556 times
Default Sampling the flavor of N.H. living

As another day trip that will contribute to the contemplation of vintage N.H. living, I recommend the late bill Kidder's 'Ice House Museum' in downtown New London. It's full of memorabilla of a by-gone era, working farm machinery from yesteryear, numerous vintage auomobiles, including a Sears Roebuck car. Atrip to the nearby lake sunapee is also beautiful.
Website;welcome (http://www.wfkicehouse.org/website/welcome.html - broken link)

Bill was a state legislator , active in local politics and with the fire department. Bill died in 2005, and was a tireless local celebrity, always had time to support the local community efforts, while being an enormously successful businessman. Locals remember bill driving through town in his latter driving years tooling through town in his humble '70's vintage Ford Pinto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire