Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 05:26 PM

1,574 posts, read 4,857,813 times

Advertisements

When I sold my parents house in Windham seven years ago the claim was that there was high radon in the water. In order to expedite the sale I had to make an allowance for a mitigation system. Personally I think that the levels involved caused an unecessary panic, but that's the way it is going now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2007, 06:02 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,476,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flu189 View Post
When I sold my parents house in Windham seven years ago the claim was that there was high radon in the water. In order to expedite the sale I had to make an allowance for a mitigation system. Personally I think that the levels involved caused an unecessary panic, but that's the way it is going now.
I know a couple people in Windham, that had an issue with this. They just put in Reverse Osmosis systems in and the buyers where content. Don't know if it solved anything but it was cheap and fast. And looked good to the buyers. LOL

Old 05-09-2007, 06:44 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by countrylv22 View Post
I did not understand what you said about carrots and your parents...Could you please tell me again what you meant.

That was referring to another thread about gardening and people were feelign that you couldn't grow carrots very well in NH.

I have heard from another person on this forum that they are not able to grow carrots?? And that seems hard to believe (I obviously believe the person that told me) because carrots do well in cold climates, so why are they not able to grow in NH???
ARE YOUR PARENTS ABLE TO GROW CARROTS???

If there is arsenic & sulfur in the water, it might affect the soil? RIGHT?
Therefore, the gardening, right?
Ok, I called my mom today. They used to grow carrots - and the carrots were perfectly find, 8" long or so. they just stopped because they got lazy, the carrots didn't keep very well, something about sand that I didn't really understand and that it was just easier to buy them in the store (frankly, I feel that way about all vegetables if you really want them ) So that's the carrot bit.

As to the arsenic. I asked her about that and she said she had heard some about it. Hollis has tried to get everyone to have their water tested for arsenic. She said some did, some didn't... they did. apparently the acceptable limit is something like .1..%? (sorry, didn't write it down) and their water came out at .01..% so they have very little. She said they've never had any trouble that they've known in any of their houses which have all had wells.

But what I have remembered is a water purifier commercial that likes to scare you about minerals in your water and all the things they filter out. Arsenic being one they mentioned. So I tend to think that arsenic is a fairly common thing that tends to show up frequently and as long as you don't have it in huge quantities it doesn't really matter. Mostly it's a case of you don't realy want to know all the minerals that are making your water taste good - sorta like hot dogs and bologna. Long as it isn't giardia or something like that

And as LucyEm said, wells are different from one hole to another, you just never know. But I hardly think there's a problem with high arsenci levels all through southern NH, it just doesn't bear out.

Oh, as to your concern that if it's in the water, wouldn't it get into the soil and therefore the garden. Well.... gardens are pulling off ground water, which is not what your well is drawing. sure, you could claim that you irrigate your garden with the hose/sprinkler which is coming from the well. so.. in a sense, yeah whatever is in your well can get into your garden. How significant that is.. I don't think that much. Your garden is probably getting more water from rain and ground water than you're likely to be hosing in.
And the other bit is that even if you are putting something into the soil, that doesn't mean the vegetables are absorbing it. They don't absorb heavy metals, for example (which is why vegetable gardens near a road didn't have high lead levels from back when cars used leaded gas).

I wouldn't worry. You can always call your local university and ask for a soil test kit, take some soil samples from where your want your garden and send it in, and they'll tell you all about your soil and what you need to add for better produce/flowers and it will probably cost around $10.

Old 05-09-2007, 08:48 PM

111 posts, read 485,159 times
Our garden produces carrots just fine.

Old 05-09-2007, 11:58 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Thumbs up Hello!

HELLO!

LUCYEM!

WOODCHUCK!

FLU189!

WANNACOMEHOME!

NHYRNUT!
THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT INPUT & HELP!

I appreciate it all!
I am concerned about the water & how it affects gardening, because I was hoping to be able to grow veggies & fruits, & be able to sell them as well (do not know if its worth it, money wise...) but at least we will know what we are eating. In the past I have heard about certain parts of the country that have had problems with their water supply, well water, etc. and as a coincidence they have also a high % of cancer cases... maybe its not related, maybe it is... (that is probably another thread...) I am just trying to find out if there is a problem, the ways we can fix it, or what if any measures we can take to make it better And if not possible to fix, at least I can choose another town within NH to live in
Once again, thank you all for the great input! If there is anything else that you feel that might help, by all means, please post it! I will keep checking this thread!
Have a nice one!
Countrylv22

Old 05-10-2007, 05:52 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,791,864 times
Most of the "problems" with well contamination with radon and/or arsenic are just hype and should be of no concern. Deep (drilled) well water quality is entirely dependant on the type of rock the well is drilled in. Some rock (limestone & marble) has had high calcium levels which can create hard water. This can be treated to reduce the problems created. Some rock contains iron pyrites (FeS) which can create problems with bad taste and ordor as well as iron (red) stains. Again it can be treated.

Shallow wells use the near surface ground water which is usually pretty good if you are fairly well isolated. The can be contaminated by surface runoff and the associated bacteria etc. The water is generally very soft (it is mostly rain water) and tastes quite good. There are a lot of these wells still being used.

Look at a geological map to see whate kind of rock the well will be drilled into and have the water tested.

PS: I really do not care for the taste of chlorinated water but the stuff is very safe to drink.

Old 05-10-2007, 05:38 PM

Location: :0)1 CORINTHIANS,13*"KYRIE, ELEISON"*"CHRISTE ELEISON"
3,078 posts, read 6,199,237 times
Thumbs up To Gregw!

HELLO GREGW!

Thank you so much for the input! It is very helpful! I appreciate it!

I would probably want to stay away from the chlorine as well !

Since I have a couple of relatives with cancer, and I have done research about it, I recently read that chlorine is a cancer causing agent whether you drink it and or swim in it, the skin absorbs it all And then of course there is the taste, right?
Anyway, thanks a bunch!
Take care,
COUNTRYLV22

Old 05-11-2007, 08:09 AM

625 posts, read 2,436,346 times
When I bought my house, I got a water quality report as part of the escrow. About the only issues I saw were iron was a bit high (0.3 ppm) and it was a little hard (68), but no bacteria or arsenic.

A filter and water softener took care of those, no problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire