Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,501 times

Advertisements

hey everyone..new to the foum.

Got a job offer from Exeter. Thinking of relocating from LI. Looking to getaway from the traffic, people, and frantic pace down here. Just curious if anyone from the area had any observation, suggestions, etc....thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2006, 11:00 AM

104 posts, read 467,052 times
You can't go wrong moving up here from LI! It's so peaceful here, if you get away from the hustle and bustle of the major cities. We recently re-located to this side of the state from west of Concord. although we don't live in Exeter, we've driven through and like Exeter a lot! It seems clean, upscale, and nice and very convenient to all the major routes, and even the Boston area is accessible. We ended up farther north, as prices are more affordable up there. Exeter seems nice, from what I've seen, but I don't know much about the schools or anything since I haven't lived there.

I think you will like the pace of life here, though! I've really come to love it. It's a great place to raise a family! Exeter is very convenient to Hampton Beach and even the Maine seacoast which has beautiful beaches. Within an hour or so, you have the White Mountains, and the beautiful lakes region. Good luck with your search! If you'd like assistance PM me! I am a realtor and would be happy to assist you.

Old 01-13-2007, 10:33 PM

19 posts, read 88,914 times
You will find congestion during rush hours on route 16, between Dover and Portsmouth.

Also congestion on the 101 from Exeter to I-95.

I-95 is always a breeze from Portsmouth to the Hampton tolls! Infact, from Danvers, Mass and up is usually so peaceful. I could easily fall asleep at the wheel!

Old 01-14-2007, 03:02 AM

35 posts, read 129,895 times
You will seldom have to deal with traffic in Exeter, NH. NH typically has a slower pace and less congestion although things get busy on 16 as Reagonomics mentioned. If you are working in Exeter, though, you will probably live in an area that is quiet without much traffic. Exeter itself is a wonderful town. It has quaint shops with free parking and a small movie theater downtown. The school system is one of the best in the state which has caused growth. The taxes are higher. http://town.exeter.nh.us/

Old 01-18-2010, 07:17 AM

1 posts, read 2,711 times
Default Job in Dover: Where to Live

Hi, everyone!
I may be offered a job in Dover in the next few weeks, and I would really appreciate some opinions about the best place for my husband and I to live with our two school-age daughters. The older one is currently in 7th grade, and the younger is in kindergarten. We like Dover a LOT, but are very concerned about the high school, which does not seem to rate well on any of the school info sites. My older daughter has special needs (Tourette's Syndrome) and I need her to be in a place where she will feel comfortable and where her special learning and social needs will be appropriately supported. I feel that Oyster River or Exeter would be better for her, but we don't really like the rural feel of Durham/Lee, Madbury and, while we really love Exeter, we are concerned about my commute. Can anyone tell me what a commute from Exeter to Dover would really feel like, and whether we are right to be concerned about Dover High School? Also, is Madbury as inconvenient as it seemed to us? Thank you all so much!

Old 01-19-2010, 07:46 AM

371 posts, read 1,161,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debdoorack View Post
we really love Exeter, we are concerned about my commute. Can anyone tell me what a commute from Exeter to Dover would really feel like
I think it's a stretch to call this a "commute."
You're driving secondary roads over about 10-15 miles (depending where you live/work). Unless there is a weather issue, you're "commute" shouldn't take longer than 20 minutes or so.

It's straight north up Route 108. You could also go 101 to 95 to 16. I'd try both ways, but would worry about too much about living in Exeter and working in Dover.

Old 01-19-2010, 04:20 PM

1,281 posts, read 3,702,676 times
Default If you work in Dover - then live in Dover!

Wow what an awesome deal! I'd live in Dover! You have many options for the small child - and you have St Thomas Aquinas in Dover (private) if you don't want to do Dover High. I know many people who graduated from Dover (yours truly for one) and many currently going there - and as is repeated - it's all what you (the parent) and the kids put into it as well as what's taught. Attitude is a major player. Dover is beautiful, and if I had a good job, I'd move my whole family there in a heartbeat! I miss my home

Old 01-25-2010, 05:38 PM

125 posts, read 251,264 times
Personally, Dover is one my favorite places in New Hampshire. And Dover High is just fine. Dover is a great place for a family. Not snobby, but friendly, completely safe, and the quaint New England charm is very nice on the eyes. They also have a tremendous children's museum there.

Old 01-25-2010, 05:42 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,955,711 times
it's all sort of relevant. Down ta' Exteter is the fast lane to me, but you could die of sheer bordom being from LI. Might wanna watch that summer time beach traffic though, on the weekends.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:30 PM

3,686 posts, read 7,422,687 times
Any particular reason why this thread was resurrected from 3 years ago?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire