Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:37 PM

1,396 posts, read 3,443,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa g View Post
there are indeed people in NH who will question legality in the US if you introduce yourself specifying a non-American ethnicity, asking how people feel about it.
I'd like to see you ask the 20800* native-born Hispanics in Nh that.

* 2007 census.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:27 PM

46 posts, read 68,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuteMan View Post
I'd like to see you ask the 20800* native-born Hispanics in Nh that.

* 2007 census.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:00 AM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
I moved to FL from NH in 1994. I made more 20 years ago in NH than I've ever made since living in FL. However, I can now buy a new house in some cities for under $100,000. In Nashua in the 80s I had a hard time finding a small condo for that price. Rent is also much higher in NH.

Keep in mind that, although it's very lovely, you will need to adjust to the cold weather. Depending on the type of winter and how far north you travel, you might experience temperatures that dip well below what you've ever felt in your life. When you are estimating your monthly expenses, you need to consider home heating fuel and snow removal.

NH is not as diversified as Florida. It's much "whiter" than many states and it was the last state in the country to commemorate Martin Luther King's birthday. However, did you know that Florida has 56 known hate groups? NH has 3. (according to the Southern Poverty Law Center) So it's really hard to compare the 2 states, especially since FL has a population of 18.3 million and NH has 1.3 million.

Just my opinion, but people I've met in FL are a lot more bigoted than people I knew in NH. People in NH tend to mind their own business and not meddle in your personal affairs. Keep in mind there is an estimated 2.5% residents of Hispanic or Latino origin according to the 2007 U.S. Census compared to 20.6% in Florida. So if you get any strange stares from neighbors, it might only be because they don't know you, and that will pass.

Old 08-05-2009, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I moved to FL from NH in 1994. I made more 20 years ago in NH than I've ever made since living in FL. However, I can now buy a new house in some cities for under $100,000. In Nashua in the 80s I had a hard time finding a small condo for that price. Rent is also much higher in NH.

Keep in mind that, although it's very lovely, you will need to adjust to the cold weather. Depending on the type of winter and how far north you travel, you might experience temperatures that dip well below what you've ever felt in your life. When you are estimating your monthly expenses, you need to consider home heating fuel and snow removal.

NH is not as diversified as Florida. It's much "whiter" than many states and it was the last state in the country to commemorate Martin Luther King's birthday. However, did you know that Florida has 56 known hate groups? NH has 3. (according to the Southern Poverty Law Center) So it's really hard to compare the 2 states, especially since FL has a population of 18.3 million and NH has 1.3 million.

Just my opinion, but people I've met in FL are a lot more bigoted than people I knew in NH. People in NH tend to mind their own business and not meddle in your personal affairs. Keep in mind there is an estimated 2.5% residents of Hispanic or Latino origin according to the 2007 U.S. Census compared to 20.6% in Florida. So if you get any strange stares from neighbors, it might only be because they don't know you, and that will pass.

I am liking NH more everyday. I am just going to have to see if I can take the winter. My hubby will have no prob with the cold but I am used to the heat. LOL

Old 08-05-2009, 06:54 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,700 times
Like many on this board say to newcomers from warmer places...the key to winter is to embrace it and find a way to stay active. If you despise the cold and snow and stay indoors you'll be miserable for half the year. If you just dress for it there is no reason you can't get outside and enjoy it. There are TONS of winter activities in NH....try and find one that suits you. I love the 4 seasons because you get to see familiar places in an entirely different way.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:18 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
What he said. And rent for the first year or so. Many people from warmer climes have thought they loved winter.. and did for the first few months. But when it didn't go away, and kept on coming on... they couldn't stand it. Before you do anything 'permanent', make sure you can adjust. It is very cold, for a long time- I won't kid you on that. But the rest of the time is great, and the state is wonderful. Just want to be sure you can handle it before you actually buy a house.

Old 08-05-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinoHeat View Post
This kind've question makes me wonder if Lisa G is here legally. I mean, usually those who commit crimes or are doing something they shouldn't be are awfully paranoid of the same thing in others.
Different ways to ask the same question:
1)Where is he from?
2)Was he born in the US?
3)Is he a US citizen?
4)He's hispanic? Like from hispanic descent, or born in a hispanic country?
It's all in how a question is asked.
I can look at a woman and ask "Wow, look at those shoes. Must be uncomfortable, huh, with the platform heels and all. When do you wear them?"
Or I can ask "Wow, look at those shoes!! Are you a hooker?"
It's all in how you ask. Sometimes, a little tact goes a long way.
Also, the OP never said I was of an un-American descent. To think that Hispanic means non-American is an assumption, and the lesson to be learned here is, when you assume, you are probably wrong.
I'm just sayin.

Well said!

Old 08-05-2009, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaComeHome View Post
What he said. And rent for the first year or so. Many people from warmer climes have thought they loved winter.. and did for the first few months. But when it didn't go away, and kept on coming on... they couldn't stand it. Before you do anything 'permanent', make sure you can adjust. It is very cold, for a long time- I won't kid you on that. But the rest of the time is great, and the state is wonderful. Just want to be sure you can handle it before you actually buy a house.

Good point, we want to visit in Dec so maybe that will give me a good feel.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:52 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
Good plan! Except for last year's horrible (and unusual) ice storm, December is still 'winter lite' though. but it will give you a taste of cold. Depending on where in NH you settle, winter can start in late Nov or Dec and last until April and sometimes flurries into May!

Old 08-05-2009, 11:05 AM

1,771 posts, read 5,067,185 times
By the way, I can't help but add in that I think more than a few people would pay to see the "Latino Heat Alligator Wrestling Show" in NH. I don't think it would be a good/constant living up here...but an alligator show would definately be neat in the right venue, especially if it focused more on just educational information about southern swampland creatures that can eat you...

As for jobs- my wife is interested in martial arts and we've found a few schools in the area; so I'm sure they are around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire