Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 05:56 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,275 times

Advertisements

My mother was born in New Hampshire, but I have never been there. Now, I just found out that I will get to visit New Hampshire in October--very excited as, I have been looking forward to a trip like this for a long, long time. Unfortunately, we will only have 3 days there. Can you, who are lucky enough to live there, provide some guidance. I'm interested in any "do not miss" places (although I'm expecting it all to be pretty good). I will be traveling with an older friend (66 yo) who is healthy, but not as young as she used to be. That means no vigorous hikes, although easy nature walks, etc. would be fine. We both like museums, local crafts, and history. New Hampshire's soul?--we'd like some insight.

Thanks for any tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 08:06 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,730 times
drive around the Kancamagus Hwy (with the other leafpeepers), it's absolutely gorgeous, and lots of fun following beside the river.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:04 PM

71 posts, read 172,145 times
Portsmouth is nice town to stroll through with great restaurants and good shopping, plus, I just love the coast! But you will be here during Foliage, North of Manchester will be nice and I second the Kancamagus. There are outlets in in Conway if you are into shopping.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:50 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,000 times
Ditto....spend a day on the coast driving Rt 1A and 1B, walk and eat/drink in Portsmouth. Day two head north to the mountains and drive the Kanc, and the Mount Washington Auto Road if it's still open. It usually closes in mid October though depending on the weather. The Lakes region is a great day trip too and a gorgeous drive in the fall. Leaf colors will depend on the weather.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:51 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,178,280 times
Make sure to visit the basin. Some hiking there but the drive is nice. You can't go wrong anyplace you happen to visit in NH in October. My favorite month of the year since my mom explained to me what Halloween was!

Totally obsessed!

Old 08-24-2009, 08:30 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,275 times
Thanks for all your replies. I'm really looking forward to the scenic drives.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:28 AM

3,712 posts, read 11,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlakat View Post
Make sure to visit the basin. Some hiking there but the drive is nice.
The Basin is my all-time favorite place - but more for sentimental reasons I remember when the highway drove right past there and if you looked out the window, you could actually see the basin!

The hiking is pretty minimal: the way it's structured now, you park in a big parking lot (no longer pulling off on the side of the road!) and they have a wide, level path -wheelchair accessible don'tchaknow- that goes down to the few log steps to the basin itself. If you're up to it (or rather, your mom), you can hike a bit of the Cascade Trail, you don't have to do all of it. I usually only go up to where it comes up to the huge rocks. But, if your mom is in decent health, she could easily get to the Basin itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire