Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 23,735 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! This is my first post. My wife and I are in the process of buying a 2 acre lot in a subdivision in Albany, NH as a retirement property. It's a beautiful area with a view of Mt. Chocorua and the Sandwich range. It's well and septic, which will be new for us. We'll wait to build until we retire and sell our current house in Virginia. Our plan is for a log home.

Any of you retire and relocate from out-of-state? What are the pros and cons? Adjustments to country living from suburbia? Anyone build a log home? Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 04:56 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
That definetly is a beautiful area up around Albany. I don't beleive you could pick a more beautiful area to retire. Definetly a area where a log home would fit in perfectly.There are a few log home builders in N.H. Some not to far from you. We bought a log home a couple years ago just south of you near Ossipee and are waiting to sell this place in Florida to move up there. I dont imagine you'll have any problem adjusting to countyr living, it's a pretty laid back lifestyle up that way. Good luck with your move.

Old 09-11-2009, 09:26 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,037,076 times
We will be, in another 3 years. what adjustments you need to make depends a lot on where you're coming from. Are you relocating from a really warm state? a dry/desert state? an 'everybody knows your business and gets catty' state?

Main adjustment for moving from suburban to rural is that you're not going to find all your amenities right around the corner. You may have to drive half an hour or more to get to the stores. And going to a movie might take longer to do as well. But that's ok, it just goes along with the more relaxed lifestyle, you don't have to be rush-rush-rush.

Don't know anything about building a log home, we plan on building an underground home.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:03 PM

497 posts, read 953,207 times
We're a stones throw from you in Madison;

also enjoying the views of Mt. Chocorua, and enjoying the Big Pea Porridge pond in summer.

Originally from jersey, it took us about 6 years to find the area and house that fit us.

You've chosen a good area, with just enuff tourism for the economy, and stores close enuff it's not an expedition to go for milk.
We are over in the corner of Madison, bordering Conway. love it here.

Big adjustment to country life, coming from 4 miles out of NYC. Big. but easy, and very enjoyable.

Log home was originally our idea too, to buy a parcel and build. Just so happens we stumbled on a great home, built of barnwood, and very rustic, with just enuff land and view to make us happy...

Still learning the NH ways, but loving every minute.

Old 09-12-2009, 03:50 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times
Great stuff NewNHguy I've hiked Chocorua a number of times.....it's my favorite NH mountain which you can clearly see on a good day from Weirs Beach.

Old 09-12-2009, 04:43 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewNHguy View Post
We're a stones throw from you in Madison;

also enjoying the views of Mt. Chocorua, and enjoying the Big Pea Porridge pond in summer.

Originally from jersey, it took us about 6 years to find the area and house that fit us.

You've chosen a good area, with just enuff tourism for the economy, and stores close enuff it's not an expedition to go for milk.
We are over in the corner of Madison, bordering Conway. love it here.

Big adjustment to country life, coming from 4 miles out of NYC. Big. but easy, and very enjoyable.

Log home was originally our idea too, to buy a parcel and build. Just so happens we stumbled on a great home, built of barnwood, and very rustic, with just enuff land and view to make us happy...

Still learning the NH ways, but loving every minute.
I'm just South of you on the other side of Green Mtn.
Attached Thumbnails
Retirement in NH (North Conway, Albany area)-100_1160.jpg  

Old 09-12-2009, 07:58 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Carroll County is such a nice area of NH. My parents still have houses in Madison and Brookfield on their radar for retirement. The property taxes are lower in most towns in the county and the outdoor amenities are amazing.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:44 PM

5 posts, read 23,735 times
Default Thanks all!

Looking forward to being your neighbors (although it's a few years away). Keep the comments coming! Here's our little piece of paradise...
Attached Thumbnails
Retirement in NH (North Conway, Albany area)-asdf.jpg  

Old 09-12-2009, 08:58 PM

26,411 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureNHRetiree View Post
Looking forward to being your neighbors (although it's a few years away). Keep the comments coming! Here's our little piece of paradise...
Do you have any idea what part of town it is in? I know a couple of people from that general area.
It looks like it is in the Saco valley? That would be to open for me. I like the deep woods that are on my property. Albany is what I would call "rural but not isolated." This basically applies to most places south of the notches. Albany to Conway is only a five minute drive. Coos County has the most towns that are "rural and isolated." Outdoor amenities are abundant in that area, and it is little bit removed from the congestion of North Conway on 16/302. Overall, it is a very good retirement choice with plenty of amenities to satisfy some urbane tastes as well. Keep us updated

Old 09-13-2009, 05:28 AM

497 posts, read 953,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS
Outdoor amenities are abundant in that area, and it is little bit removed from the congestion of North Conway on 16/302. Overall, it is a very good retirement choice with plenty of amenities to satisfy some urbane tastes as well. Keep us updated
16 in the summer, trying to get into Conway from the south, is like being in mid-town manhatten.

We go into town for groceries/shopping either very early in the morn, or during the week. Weekends can get so congested it'd turn us around, and send us back up the mountain.

We've found shortcuts, ways 'round the traffic, but I'll not reveal them

Next spring we plan on planting a bigger garden on the south side, and supplimenting vegtables, friuts and such. We can the fruits alot, and some of the veggies;
but to me the veggies lose alot of taste after canning.
We won't have to deal with the traffic, at the Veggie stands, but the bunnies, deer and bears instead hopefully, the smells left in the yard by the dogs will be a good repellent to some critters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire