Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 08:30 PM

6,574 posts, read 6,742,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd think the UP in Michigan wouldn't be much different than New Hampshire. They are just small towns and such where people hunt and fish, etc.

The unemployment is mostly in and around Detroit...which is about as far as you could possibly get from the UP (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan.

The U.P., economically speaking, if it were to have any city ties, and I'm not so sure it does, would be significantly closer to whatever large city there is in northern Wisconsin or perhaps Duluth, Minnesota.
I was commenting more on the weather in UP......300 inches of snow is 200 inches more than we see in most of NH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2009, 08:32 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chumbucket View Post
There is a small detail that everyone seem to have forgot. Since you are not a citizen of United States you are not eligible to get a permit for a gun and much less likely to be able to have your own gun store. After a minimum of 5 years with a green card and clean background you can apply to be a citizen which will take you approx 1 year. Then you can vote and get your permit.
A resident alien may own a gun in the U.S. Non-resident aliens can have guns for hunting purposes (must have a valid hunting license, also there's some paperwork on the gun to do). I don't know about FFL's though.

Also, antiques are not firearms under federal law and anyone can have them. That would be muzzleloaders (except some inlines), and firearms made before 1899 (except machineguns).

Old 11-12-2009, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd think the UP in Michigan wouldn't be much different than New Hampshire. They are just small towns and such where people hunt and fish, etc.

The unemployment is mostly in and around Detroit...which is about as far as you could possibly get from the UP (Upper Peninsula) of Michigan.

The U.P., economically speaking, if it were to have any city ties, and I'm not so sure it does, would be significantly closer to whatever large city there is in northern Wisconsin or perhaps Duluth, Minnesota.
I wouldn't go with MI. My brother's been in MI about a year and still no job...and I doubt a business would do too well there right now, hardly anyone has money to buy. MI gun laws aren't that great either.

Old 11-12-2009, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatti View Post
Thanks for the replies, especially Mrtwigg's post and PM were really helpful.

Alaska especially (just like Lapland, eh?) sounds great, but as far as I know, the cost of living is *really* high over there. Also the winters might be too cold for me? But I'll surely atleast visit Alaska if I move to the U.S.
Depends on where you are and what you need. Alaska can be downright cheap, or incredibly expensive.

Quote:
So, can any one tell me how Montana, Idaho and Michigan compare to NH?
Michigan is a left-leaning nanny state. All I can say. Way to the left, high taxes, stricter gun laws, regulations on everything, etc. The rural people of the UP may not support that stuff but it's like the Northeast Kingdom of Vermont not liking what Burlington does, they're powerless to stop it. Outnumbered.

MT and ID are both quite free states overall. Californians have been moving in but they are still quite conservative/libertarian. Both stand up to the federal government on occasion. They're both similar to NH in some ways (guns, politics sort of, taxes). They're much bigger states and most of their land is owned by the federal government which, under the influence of environmentalists, does not want to give up ownership. That can be good and bad, there's a lot of public land to hunt, camp, shoot on, but it limits how much land is available for private landowners, and the environmentalists who want to shut down logging and mining, if they get their way on those federal lands, the states will be in trouble.

Quote:
-Gun laws. Are full autos&silencers totally banned? If not, is it hard to get a permission for the above-mentioned?
Full auto: no new ones allowed since 1986 (poison pill stuck in the Firearm Owners Protection Act by a democrat). Those registered before then may be owned. They're expensive but it's doable. No ban on silencers in NH (there is in VT but everything else is legal in VT). Not sure on MI but I know MI restricts full auto to those classified as curios and relics, IOW, only a tiny percentage of the legally registered machineguns may be owned there.

Any NFA regulated weapon is the same for how to buy one: there's a form to fill out (get it from the ATF or the dealer should have some), you need to get a signature from the chief law enforcement officer (it can be a chief of police, sheriff, judge, or some others listed), the signature is not permission but saying it's legal to own the item there (some LEO's won't sign off, if they won't, you can form a trust and then the trust buys the firearm or silencer, eliminating the CLEO signature rule), you have to include a set of fingerprints on the card supplied, a check for $200, you send it off to the ATF and when they approve it you can go pick up your weapon. The ATF will approve it if it's legal in your location and you're legally able to own firearms (i.e., not a felon, not mentally insane, etc.). I can't remember if you need to be a citizen to do it or not. Sometimes it can be very slow getting the ATF approval (up to 6 months even) but it will go through if it's all legal.

Quote:
-More/less nature? Is the nature more similiar to Finland's nature? NH has beautiful nature, but your flora seems to be a bit different compared to ours. Are there a lot of lakes there? I've read that Michigan has quite a lot of lakes.
Lots of lakes in NH. There's also a National Forest in NH which provides plenty of space for hunting, hiking, fishing, etc. NH has some pretty rugged, mountainous terrain.

Quote:
-State of freedom. Do people stand for liberty and constitutional rights? Do people vote freedom first? Do "carbon taxes" and other similiar crap like that get any support on those states?
Generally, yes, the state leans pretty libertarian overall. The recent election is the exception not the rule, I don't think there will be a repeat of it in 2010 and 2012.

Carbon taxes are not popular in NH. They aren't really popular in any of the free states.

Quote:
-Cost of living. It was earlier mentioned that the COL is lower in Michigan. How about in Montana and Idaho? Is building a house expensive? Are there any detatched houses on rent? How big are the rents? Food? Gas?
Like I suggested, stay away from MI...there's a reason real estate is cheap there...

MT and ID: fairly affordable. The biggest issue is finding a spot where there's jobs. Both are pretty rural states, and not New England rural, but Western rural, which is much more sparsely populated than New England. One thing in Western states, though, is water rights, be sure you have the water rights on any land in a Western state. In New England water rights generally always come with the land, not so in the West.

You could find houses for rent in any state. Not sure on rent.

NH can be an expensive state, property taxes are high, but overall the tax burden will be less than in Vermont. It really boils down to what you need. A small cabin or house in a rural spot, and use wood heat, will be more affordable than a mcmansion in a highly desirable area, and trying to heat it with oil or gas in the cold winters. You just need to strike the right balance between rural and affordable, and job or income availability.

Quote:
NH seems to especially have laws which simply deny it from gradually turning into the next DDR. That is important to me. But I suppose that any rural state with more down to earth-type people has a clear picture of what the country was founded on, and why the constitution is like it is.
Any rural dominated state will be more free than an urban dominated state. States where big cities dominate the politics (like IL with Chicago, NY with NYC, etc.), tend to be the least free states.

There's been people moving into NH from the un-free states (NJ, MA, CT, etc.), but some are fleeing that stuff, others bring it with them. How free the state remains depends on the people moving into it. Vermont is how it is today because it was literally invaded by tens of thousands of hippies in the 60's and 70's, and now they run the state. Vermont used to be much more free and affordable than NH I'd say, but not so anymore.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:09 AM

9 posts, read 38,456 times
Cost of living is very expensive in New Hampshire, housing expenses are very high, electricity is among the highest in the country, gasoline is above average although it not exorbitantly so(about 20 cents higher than the average price). I am unsure how one determines freedom, people often use the term live free or die(double blind btw) But how is new hampshire more free? Less taxes doesn't equate to freedom, just equates to more money. However as noted COL is considerably above the average, whereas you could live in a low-tax area-Texas(49th lowest tax burdern) with low COL costs and a robust/strong economy=high wages. So back to my point what is more "free" about new hampshire? You're not forced to wear your seat-belt, whooptodoo. What else? hmm. Carbon taxes are going to be regulated nationally, so you will be affected regardless.

Education system is absolutely horrible in New Hampshire, it's ranked below average as logic would dictate, a limited taxes means virtually no government services and what funds do exist are pale in comparison to other states per education funding.
Lots of natures, quite a few lakes , New Hampshire can be a beautiful state. Winters are very isolated, boring and people develop something called SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder, which it's title implies the meaning. As result people tend to be very grumpy and unreceptive in the winter.

As well as generally in NH, the rule is rudeness and the exception is kindness. In NH at least a homogeneous society is mutually exclusive to a warm,welcoming one. In it's very logic, why would a tight-knight, similar society be open to difference??
Eventually people will accept you and if you mask your accent and pretend to be normal, nobody will be the wiser. Not very many "tuner shops", this is new hampshire it's a rural desolate state. There is very little enterprise. I am sure you could start a gun shop, people love guns(note lots of rednecks) in NH, you could also sell ammunition(consistent source of income), guns(cash-cows, point of attraction), as well as sporting goods et cetra. NH has no sales tax but if you live in the middle of the state or really anywhere but the southern portion, you'll have little foot traffic. So you could sell your supplies online in addition to having an actual shop.

And NH has a large ratio of cops per citizens(this is just my observation, you can check FBI stats for the actual figures); I noticed the police are a common sight in NH and as such they are very likely to pull you over for any infraction and give you a ticket. Unlike in Massachusetts, which is very annoying however it does have the positive of making NH a much safer state to drive in .

Old 12-15-2009, 11:47 AM

2,360 posts, read 5,248,462 times
It doesen't sound like you'd enjoy it.

Old 12-15-2009, 02:50 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthebaptist View Post
Cost of living is very expensive in New Hampshire, housing expenses are very high, electricity is among the highest in the country, gasoline is above average although it not exorbitantly so(about 20 cents higher than the average price). I am unsure how one determines freedom, people often use the term live free or die(double blind btw) But how is new hampshire more free? Less taxes doesn't equate to freedom, just equates to more money. However as noted COL is considerably above the average, whereas you could live in a low-tax area-Texas(49th lowest tax burdern) with low COL costs and a robust/strong economy=high wages. So back to my point what is more "free" about new hampshire? You're not forced to wear your seat-belt, whooptodoo. What else? hmm. Carbon taxes are going to be regulated nationally, so you will be affected regardless.

Education system is absolutely horrible in New Hampshire, it's ranked below average as logic would dictate, a limited taxes means virtually no government services and what funds do exist are pale in comparison to other states per education funding.
Lots of natures, quite a few lakes , New Hampshire can be a beautiful state. Winters are very isolated, boring and people develop something called SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder, which it's title implies the meaning. As result people tend to be very grumpy and unreceptive in the winter.

As well as generally in NH, the rule is rudeness and the exception is kindness. In NH at least a homogeneous society is mutually exclusive to a warm,welcoming one. In it's very logic, why would a tight-knight, similar society be open to difference??
Eventually people will accept you and if you mask your accent and pretend to be normal, nobody will be the wiser. Not very many "tuner shops", this is new hampshire it's a rural desolate state. There is very little enterprise. I am sure you could start a gun shop, people love guns(note lots of rednecks) in NH, you could also sell ammunition(consistent source of income), guns(cash-cows, point of attraction), as well as sporting goods et cetra. NH has no sales tax but if you live in the middle of the state or really anywhere but the southern portion, you'll have little foot traffic. So you could sell your supplies online in addition to having an actual shop.

And NH has a large ratio of cops per citizens(this is just my observation, you can check FBI stats for the actual figures); I noticed the police are a common sight in NH and as such they are very likely to pull you over for any infraction and give you a ticket. Unlike in Massachusetts, which is very annoying however it does have the positive of making NH a much safer state to drive in .
As much as I would like to say you are totally wrong you do have some points Being different is not always welcomed especially up here in the north although I am finding that as long as you put on a really happy additude along with your cool outfits you will gain some acceptance. I think the gun and redneck thing is kind of spot on though.

Old 12-15-2009, 07:33 PM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,425 times
Quote:

Have fun in Texas with it's low cost of living and all the crap that comes with it. Ironically, you probably need a gun more in Texas, with it's rampant gang crime and immigration issues. Isn't Texas suffering from the mortgage crisis and the recession? More than NH, I'd say. Gas is more expensive here in North Dakota - I don't find the gas very expensive in NH. Seasonal Affective Disorder is the exception, not the rule, and I'd guess that negative minded people like you suffer from it more than the normal NH-erite. I got a great education in NH at UNH, and there are great schools all over NH. Cops? Please, I've seen way more in Texas, and I can see why. I'll stay in my isolated, boring, gun-infested home state anyday over somewhere like Texas or California. I'm expanding my gun collection now, in anticipation of my return to NH.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:47 AM

9 posts, read 34,027 times
Quote:
. I am unsure how one determines freedom, people often use the term live free or die(double blind btw) But how is new hampshire more free? Less taxes doesn't equate to freedom, just equates to more money. However as noted COL is considerably above the average, whereas you could live in a low-tax area-Texas(49th lowest tax burdern) with low COL costs and a robust/strong economy=high wages. So back to my point what is more "free" about new hampshire? You're not forced to wear your seat-belt, whooptodoo. What else? hmm. Carbon taxes are going to be regulated nationally, so you will be affected regardless.
Well, I'd personally determine freedom as small goverment and big individual. I don't want a big nanny/socialist/facist goverment which will dictate where, how and if I can do things.

I could write more wideley about this issue, but I'll just say that I want the exact oposite of the goverment of Finland.
I simply don't want that goverment has the power to limit my freedoms because of individuals who don't take responsibility for their own acts, and take away the fruits of my labor from me, just to give them to some one who isn't even trying, or to put them to some inefficient public service which I'll never use.

I think that the seatbelt-law of New Hampshire has alot of symbolical value, even though it's mostly a law that majority of people probably don't give a rat's ass about (myself included). Adults should be rational enough to realize that there is a seatbelt for a reason in their car, but it's not the goverment's job to prevent the retards from harming themselves by laws which aren't even enforced.

I don't know how much more or less freedom there is in Texas, but from what I recall, atleast the gunlaws seemed to be more liberal (as in less limiting) in New Hampshire. Also, as far as I know, Texas is still heavily religous in some parts of the state. And not all, but some of these "bible thumpers" seem to be for "ban videogames!" "ban pornography!" "ban alcohol!" and such nanny laws, and that ain't a good thing for the state of overall freedom.
Other than that, Texas seems like a nice place to me (I've met quite many nice texans trough internet also), but the climate over there is just too hot for me, and the nature over there isn't the kind I'm looking for. If I'd move to the South, I would probably pick a state like Alabama with a very lush and green nature.
Ted Nugent seems to love Texas, that's a good sign :P

Quote:
Like I mentioned, I'm not concerned about that, as I'm not planning to make kids.
Quote:
Winters are very isolated, boring and people develop something called SAD. Seasonal Affective Disorder, which it's title implies the meaning. As result people tend to be very grumpy and unreceptive in the winter.
I live in Finland, so I'm used to that. Finns as a nation especially have been stereotyped as "grumpy and introverted", so I'm probably used to that.

Quote:
Eventually people will accept you and if you mask your accent and pretend to be normal, nobody will be the wiser.
I don't mind the rudeness, as long as there is no hostility/xenophobia in it.
I'm a white and heterosexual male so I don't know, am I that different from the locals, but I think that I shouldn't have any problems assimilating the local culture.
I'll try to erase the brittish english words out of my every day use-vocabulary, and pronounce words the american way, as we were taught in school to pronounce words in a brittish accent.

Quote:
Not very many "tuner shops", this is new hampshire it's a rural desolate state. There is very little enterprise.
I can live with out car tuning And like I said, I want to live in a rural state.
Quote:
NH has no sales tax but if you live in the middle of the state or really anywhere but the southern portion, you'll have little foot traffic. So you could sell your supplies online in addition to having an actual shop.
Indeed, that's why I would like to be within the driving range of a mall, so that I would have enough customers. Also, I can't cook so it would be nice to have some options to microwave dinners.

Quote:
I don't mind, though I don't see the point; why a rural desolate state would be swarming with cops?

Old 12-16-2009, 06:59 AM

4,550 posts, read 11,699,747 times
Just because the state is more rural doesn't mean nothing goes on. This makes the perfect place for meth labs or dumping illega trash. Not that this has anything to do with "swarming with cops" though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire