Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2009, 06:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

What do you think of winters in NH?

Too cold for too long?

Looks similar to other areas in New England..but comparing Manchester NH with say Providence RI or Portland ME...I was amazed how much colder it is at night NH during the winter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2009, 09:02 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Portland and Providence are both on the coast; since the water is warm (relatively speaking) this has a moderating effect on temperatures.

I don't mind the winters here (about 25 minutes from Manchester). Went for a walk in the sun the other day and enjoyed the crisp white snow through the trees. The key is multiple layers of light clothing and enjoying the winter- not just holing yourself up indoors. Honestly I don't think Portland or Providence are different enough where if you hate winter- you would like them. But I will say Manchester gets more fluffy white snow (and much less ice/fog/rain) in the winter- and therefore if you are into winter activities there is a lot more opportunity.

Old 12-20-2009, 07:34 AM

1,274 posts, read 2,383,134 times
That is a loaded question. Some people will hate the winter no matter where they are in New England (my father for example), whereas BF66389 has a glass half full attitude about it. Some people are more sensitive about it than others, and I believe those people should move to Florida. To me, there's much more than weather to consider when picking a place to live. Florida is just about the opposite of everything I'm looking for - crime, weather, crowds, attitude, culture. My father on the other hand - weather is everything to him. He fixates on it and doesn't think about any of the other negatives of a place like FL or any of the positives of where he lives now (NH).

Portland might be 5 degrees warmer on any given winter day, to give you some comparison.

Here in North Dakota, we've been getting all the bone chilling cold without any of the fun snow. To me, that's a losing situation. If it's going to be that cold (below zero), at least give me some snow to play in. I like the snow - makes the cold worthwhile.

Your mileage may vary....

Old 12-20-2009, 09:15 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,470 times
Winter is what you make of it. Find some wintertime sports to enjoy and it's just as good as any other season. I think it would be a shock for people who have never lived in cold climates, but as long as you keep an open attitude and are willing to try new things there is no reason you can't adapt or even learn to love it.

As for the coast...yes we are buffered a bit from the biting cold....but cold is cold. I really don't see much difference between 15 degrees and 25 degrees....either way it's cold and I dress the exact same for it. When you get into the negative temps...then yes, it's a big difference. But, it was 9 degrees the other day on my way to work so don't think the coast is always warm or warmer.

On the coast though, we get the brunt of winter nor'easters, like is currently happening as I type. Lots of snow, big wind, and massive snow drifts. It's downright nasty outside.

Old 12-21-2009, 01:07 PM

202 posts, read 505,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
What do you think of winters in NH?

Too cold for too long?

Looks similar to other areas in New England..but comparing Manchester NH with say Providence RI or Portland ME...I was amazed how much colder it is at night NH during the winter.
If winter bothers you consider moving to the seacoast, it's *slightly* better though still cold and it still gets snow. But if you really, really hate winter then NH is probably not going to be a good place for you to be.

I love winter. I don't mind the cold or snow at all. It's so refreshing and I'm genuinely sad to see it go when the spring comes. Not that spring isn't fine but I get used to the colder weather and then suddenly everything warms up.

So I'd say try to learn to enjoy it for what it is, it's a normal and natural turn of seasons here in New Hampshire and it has its own beauty and appeal.

Unless you hate snow...then you're screwed!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:02 PM

257 posts, read 619,441 times
I lived in Manchester for four years, and I live in Seabrook, now. I have a lot more love for this town, and the winter lows are about 5-10 degrees warmer to boot.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:28 PM

4,538 posts, read 6,801,889 times
Winter in NH is what winter in northern New England should be with plenty of snow (100" +) and cold temps (plenty of days well below 32 degrees.).

For milder winters the mid-Atlantic states are the place to be.

I hope that NH never loses its winter weather. That would have devastating effects on the state, tourism and our ecology.

Old 12-26-2009, 06:12 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
Personally, I"m not that fond of it and I do think it goes on a month or so too long (no, I"m not into winter sports). spring will come!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire