Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2010, 08:51 AM

62 posts, read 142,348 times

Advertisements

We're a professional couple moving to NH from an overseas assignment for the last 4 years. We're both very active cyclists/runners/triathletes/duathletes (so yes, outdoor activities are important to us...), but at the same time, we do enjoy the finer things in life, so access to good restaurants, wine bars, symphony orchestras, and good shopping facilities (Wholefoods, Trader Joes, and other nice places for grocery shopping).

We're pretty open to where we want to live, but primarily looking in the corridor from Manchester and south towards MA along 93. Any good location that you could recommend in that general area that fits out lifestyle? In the winter we ski, in the summer (see above), and school systems doesn't matter at all (have no kids and won't have any either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Seems like you nailed it... From that area you can choose Concord, Manchester, and Nashua for city living, or smaller town near them for country life.

There is good access to Boston on I-93, Rt 3 to I-95, and I 89.

With these interstates you can access big mt skiing in Vt, and more northern NH with fair ease. The rest of outdoors is not needing to do more than go out and saddle up.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:22 AM

758 posts, read 2,889,470 times
I think you might enjoy Portsmouth over the 93 corridor. Great restaurants, local shopping, bars, and culture (as much as it is in NH). The town screams "charm" as opposed to "recovering industrial" or "suburbia" which I associate with the Manch/Nashua area. Portsmouth is nice, compact, and everything is close by....no need to drive across town to go shopping. It's all walkable or ride able. You'd absolutely love riding up and down the coast at dawn as well.

The area is full of outdoorsy, athletic and active types....you won't have trouble finding like-minded people to race or train with. I have a couple friends who are seriously into running, adventure racing, and cycling and there is quite the network built up for those activities on the seacoast. I'm heavily into lots of other outdoor sports (hiking, skiing, surfing, kayaking, fishing, mountain biking) and had ZERO problems finding people with similar hobbies.

In any case, you won't have trouble finding the outdoors anywhere in NH.....the whole state is very outdoorsy and you're never more than a couple hours to the mountains or the coast, or only minutes to smaller parks, woods, trails, and hills. From my personal experience though the Portsmouth area offers all the benefits of the "finer things in life" without any of the congestion or without having to live in the boonies. Not to mention it's a gorgeous town and area in general.

Much to my astonishment and chagrin, there are no Trader Joe's or Whole Foods on the seacoast though.....There is a local natural food store called Philbricks, and a local health food store in downtown. I think it's only a matter of time till one opens up though....it would make a killing in this area.

Last edited by fishnfool; 02-01-2010 at 11:46 AM..

Old 02-01-2010, 10:49 AM

4,643 posts, read 13,947,733 times
I find myself agreeing with FishnFool's contribution. Sounds like the seacoast area would suit you to a T. Portsmouth itself has dozens of options for restaurants, everything from great seafood, micro breweries, multi-ethnic offerings, vegetarian and just plain fun/funky foods. Boutique shopping in the Market Square area, and if you enjoy outlet shopping, there are multitudes of retail outlets just over the border in Kittery, Maine. (downside is that you'll be paying Maine's sales tax...) There are many nearby towns that also might suit your needs, including beautiful Rye and North Hampton.

You mention that schools are not an issue for you, and for that reason, Portsmouth could work very well for you. I've heard from more people than not that the schools (especially at HS level) have issues that the city of Portsmouth has yet to resolve.

If you are still leaning more heavily toward the Rte 93 area, I would recommend either Manchester or Nashua, for the most conveniences nearby. Both have quite a variety of dining options, but Nashua's downtown is a bit more compact. The only Trader Joe's in the state is very close to Nashua, in Tyngsboro MA. Many of us in the area were eager for the state's first Whole Foods to open at Nashua Landing, but that project is on hold indefinitely at this point. And the nashualanding.com website comes up as an expired domain.

Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,966,028 times
Hmmm, I like towns like New Boston, Francistown, Lymesborough, Hill, each with a sort of hilly rugged rural look and the interstates so close by.

I don't live there, but at times i wish I did since I head west more than I do south to get to other states.. From there Rt 101 is a snap to I-95 if Maine is the idea.

Rt 9 to NY or I-91.

Portsmouth is a nicer city too, but options to get out fast are limited, and traffic can be problematic, with not many other fast ways out.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:14 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,036,022 times
There is a Trader Joe's just over the NH/MA line almost in Nashua (might as well be Nashua).

Old 02-02-2010, 12:02 PM

104 posts, read 467,198 times
Check out Antrim!!!!

Old 02-02-2010, 06:02 PM

1,771 posts, read 5,066,733 times
Just wondering why only along the 93 corridor? I'm off route 3 and finding getting to Manchester/Portsmouth/Boston to not be an issue in the least for events/activities.

Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 AM

62 posts, read 142,348 times
Well, the only reason why I've been looking along the Rt. 93 corridor (basically Londonderry towards Manchester) instead of along Rt. 3, Nashua towards Manchester, is that I know what I'll be doing (which is a lot of daily travel along the NH/MA boarder, some travel just north of Manchester as well as going as far south as MA coast line Lynn, Salem etc.), but we have no idea what my wife will be doing, so keeping the commuting options open helps her to find something interesting and suitable. I understand that commuting from Londonderry to Boston is very easy for example (using the Express bus instead of taking the car).

How's the area between Nashua and Manchester? The only area I even know of is Merrimack... and I haven't been there either... :-)

Old 02-03-2010, 03:55 AM

17 posts, read 99,822 times
Downtown Concord has beautiful old architecture and brick buildings and some brick walkways. Lots of little shops. I travel to Concord every week day. I'm kind of already bored with it though. Manchester has little shops and such. I've never really paid attention to them while driving through Manchester though, and I've only been a few times.

I'm from the East side of NH and I really enjoy where I live because I'm close and have easy access to: downtown Rochester, downtown Dover, downtown Portsmouth; also about an hour drive to Laconia which is probably one of the prettiest towns I have ever seen. I'm also about 30-45 minutes to the Kittery Trading Post [in Maine, but they have awesome stores.] It's also only about an hour and a half to Boston which I go to at least once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire