Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2010, 08:25 AM

53 posts, read 149,245 times

Advertisements

I just moved to NH - Londonderry - and LOVE it! My in-laws live in IL and we really wanted them to move with us, but I think they were concerned we wouldn't be happy here and would want to move again.

They are putting their home on the market soon and also coming out here in July for a visit. I really want to be able to show them a few areas near us that they might like. I would love for them to be near us - like 20 minutes of less (again Londonderry) with lower taxes as they are retired. Also if I could find a 55+ community with ranch style homes they might like that since my MIL currently has issues with all the stairs in her home.

Please help - I feel like I have this trip in July to convince them to move here instead of just buying again in IL. I want to make the most of this trip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2010, 03:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 11,047,583 times
Best person to talk to is ValerieC! She's local in Londonderry and a fabulous real estate agent. Can't go wrong! If there's anything in town, or anywhere around, she'll know. Send her a DM.

Old 04-17-2010, 11:52 PM

4,643 posts, read 13,963,095 times
Thanks for the kudo's wanna I do appreciate it! CntryGrl and I actually met up last year but unfortunately we were unable to work together because of circumstances with the sale of my mom's house in Massachusetts (needed 99% of my attention, both from a family perspective and a realtor perspective--lots of issues throughout the closing period, plus hand holding, packing and all the stress of selling a house that's been in the family for multi-generations... but I digress... )

But anyway, to answer CntryGrl's Q's, there are some very nice ranch style 55+ condos at The Nevins, entrance just across from the post office (near Home Depot). I would also recommend one of the neighborhoods in Litchfield, there may be some builder close-outs (it's a great time to make a bargain when there's just a few units remaining to get sold off... Developers are in a hurry to get their crews & equipment out!) Sandown has a couple of 55+, Hampstead also... or perhaps Hudson (super convenient to all the convenience of Nashua!

Old 04-18-2010, 05:56 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,311,524 times
Your tour will go well because NH is very good at selling itself.

I feel the cost of living is the biggest concern. I lived in Illinois and recently visited only months ago so I know the cost of living is night and day when compared to NH.

Otherwise, this is an easy sell.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:22 PM

Thanks Valerie. It was fun working with you for a short time

I think Londonderry is going to be off the list because of the taxes. They obviously don't have school age children and would not want to pay Londonderry taxes. I have to check my tax listing to see what Litchfield is in comparison. I personally love Sandown so I was going to look there anyway, I'll check out their 55+ communites. I think Hudson was on the higher end of the tax scale - no? It would be close though!

Also they live in Peoria IL but in a very out of the way area. They are surrounded on 3 sides by woods so they would not want to be in any urban-ish area.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Old 04-18-2010, 09:05 PM

26,437 posts, read 46,684,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrygrlinthecity View Post
Thanks Valerie. It was fun working with you for a short time

I think Londonderry is going to be off the list because of the taxes. They obviously don't have school age children and would not want to pay Londonderry taxes. I have to check my tax listing to see what Litchfield is in comparison. I personally love Sandown so I was going to look there anyway, I'll check out their 55+ communites. I think Hudson was on the higher end of the tax scale - no? It would be close though!

Also they live in Peoria IL but in a very out of the way area. They are surrounded on 3 sides by woods so they would not want to be in any urban-ish area.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
If they are willing to look a bit further north in NH the Lakes Region has much lower taxes. Give Alton a look. Not too far of a drive to Concord or the Seacoast. Property taxes are 1/2 as much as most towns in southern NH and you get a lot more square footage for the price.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:31 AM

Thanks GraniteStater. My IL's have always lived too far for a quick visit and we are all hoping that we can be close neighbors. My daughter misses her grandparents . Also my MIL has some health issues I would like to be able to help out with. So anything under a half hour drive (from us) is what I'm hoping we'll be able to find them.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:13 PM

Well, Alton is about 45 minute to an hour from most areas of southern NH. It is exactly 30-35 minutes from Concord and I-93, though.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:11 PM

I Mapquested it and it's 1 hour 10 minutes from me. But I looked it up and it DEFINITELY looks like a town they would like!

Old 04-19-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntrygrlinthecity View Post
I Mapquested it and it's 1 hour 10 minutes from me. But I looked it up and it DEFINITELY looks like a town they would like!
That's great! Keep us updated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Hampshire