Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 07:20 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times

Advertisements

FINALLY I placed an offer on a house in South Dennis in CM County, and during the inspection I was wandering around the expansive yard and was told that all of the raised hills and holes I see are MOLES!! And that it's not at all unusually in South Jersey. Apparently the owner/seller HAS had the exterminator out, but that doesn't help me since TWO of my three dogs are females who will go BONKERS digging up poisoned corpses.

I put the deposit down since everyone was telling me it was no big deal, but the entire thing has me sickened. So the house I'm buying with the great yard for the dogs turns out to be a house where I'm not going to let them NEAR the yard. This could only happen to me, I swear. The thought of the possible carnage has literally placed me in bed with migraines all day yesterday. So is it true that South Jersey is plagued with these rodents? And what do people with pets do? Talk about BUYER'S REMORSE!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2011, 07:55 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,134,620 times
I've heard of moles. I've never heard of South Jersey being plagued by them.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:18 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
FINALLY I placed an offer on a house in South Dennis in CM County, and during the inspection I was wandering around the expansive yard and was told that all of the raised hills and holes I see are MOLES!! And that it's not at all unusually in South Jersey. Apparently the owner/seller HAS had the exterminator out, but that doesn't help me since TWO of my three dogs are females who will go BONKERS digging up poisoned corpses.

I put the deposit down since everyone was telling me it was no big deal, but the entire thing has me sickened. So the house I'm buying with the great yard for the dogs turns out to be a house where I'm not going to let them NEAR the yard. This could only happen to me, I swear. The thought of the possible carnage has literally placed me in bed with migraines all day yesterday. So is it true that South Jersey is plagued with these rodents? And what do people with pets do? Talk about BUYER'S REMORSE!!!!
Could be moles or voles.

Check with your realtor to see if there's a loophole that would allow you to back out of the contract without losing money.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:38 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,746,510 times
I'm in Central Jersey and I get moles. It is no big deal to me; they're not always around...don't know where they go. They're about the size of a small hamster with flippers growing out of their necks. Moles do pop up sometimes and my neighborhood has a lot of cats...need I say more?

The mole is an insectivore, not a rodent and eats worms, grubs, some nuts. They don't eat roots.

You can try putting mothballs in the holes/tunnels. It may or may not work based on some articles I've read, but why not try it? How to Get Rid of Moles With Moth Balls | eHow.com

Another way to get rid of moles is to use traps. (I don't know, if there are live traps for moles.)

Are you sure they are moles? Have you looked into Voles? They are rodents.

..."The most easily identifiable sign of voles is an extensive surface runway system with numerous burrow opening (Fig. 6). Runways are 1 to 2 inches (2.5 to 5 cm) in width. Vegetation near well-traveled runways may be clipped close to the ground. Feces and small pieces of vegetation are found in the runways.

The pine vole does not use surface runways. It builds an extensive system of underground tunnels. The surface runways of long-tailed voles are not as extensive as those of most other voles."

Old 04-08-2011, 10:07 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
we live in SJ and had one.. A have a heat trap took care of him when we moved in over 2 years ago. Never a problem again. I work in pa and we have all all over there too. Even in Philly, they are all over.. Trap em and take em far away.. problem solved.. its no big deal, you can get them anywhere..

Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,349,946 times
Thank you very much. I know it's not a big deal to many people...but I can't tolerate the kind of carnage that's going to take place once the females (Collie & Doberman) discover these intruders - dead or alive. It will upset me terribly - have no stomach for it.

i will look into some alternative methods, but can't risk the moth balls due to the Collie - who is still young and can't resist tasting practically everything in her path. I am SOO not looking forward to moving.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Just because a house does not have moles/voles at closing, doesn't mean the critters won't come a calling after you move in!

If your dogs go "bonkers" in your yard, I would think the moles/voles would move on to another area where there is less disturbance.

Take a migraine pill and relax.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Thank you very much. I know it's not a big deal to many people...but I can't tolerate the kind of carnage that's going to take place once the females (Collie & Doberman) discover these intruders - dead or alive. It will upset me terribly - have no stomach for it.

i will look into some alternative methods, but can't risk the moth balls due to the Collie - who is still young and can't resist tasting practically everything in her path. I am SOO not looking forward to moving.
I honestly don't think you'll see a bloody slaughter in your yard. These things are tiny...smaller than most tiny birds. How much blood do you think is in a mole/vole? I've seen more blood in a tic.

This is going to sound gross, but if your dogs do get one, they'll probably just consume it and you'll never know.

Old 04-08-2011, 10:21 AM

Quote:

What about putting moth balls into cans with holes in the tunnel? I'm guessing you don't leave your dogs unattended in your yard. Keep an eye on them.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:26 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,875,013 times
Quote:

Im pretty sure the ground hog will high tail it when your dogs move in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia