Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:10 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times

Advertisements

Don't have much to add other than put any notion aside that you will be able to live in a place that will allow you to drastically minimize your car usage. You will either be in a position of driving to work, or be in a position of driving to everything else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2011, 09:21 AM

283 posts, read 607,365 times
You're going to need reliable parking if you pick Philly, which will be expensive if you need to rent a spot. Mt Laurel from Center City by bus is next to impossible, unless you can get in very early and leave by 5 PM (there is a 406 bus that leaves from Center City, but again, it's unreliable).

It will be hard to find something nice, safe, and with reasonable parking by yourself for $900 in Northern Liberties. If cost is a concern, you'll also be paying $5 a day in bridge tolls to get in and out of NJ (that's $1125 a year on a 45-week work year). Plus, you will pay wage tax (3.93%) and higher state tax in PA (3.07% flat tax).

If you want to do the city, there are benefits, but know it will be more expensive and your neighborhood choices will be limited based on the fact that you can't dump your car and commute to work by foot, bus, or train.

If you're willing to up your budget, you'll want to stay on the east end of town as people are suggesting to keep your commute at 30 minutes or so. I'd avoid University City personally -- getting to NJ may not be bad, but you will have a bear of a time getting across 76W back home. There are just as many young people in Northern Liberties and Fishtown, and you can get to Center City/U City in 10 minutes by the MFL train from Northern Liberties/Fishtown. You could look at Pennsport too, but it's also removed from the core/transit and also block-to-block west of 3rd/4th street. Old City and Center City proper (where there is the most stuff to do) are both way out of your price range. For the places I recommended, you will most likely need a roommate to end up somewhere safe with the amenities you are looking for around $900 per person per month.

I think Collingswood as suggested also offers a cheaper, reasonable compromise. The only challenge I would see is that it is more family oriented, so you won't have 100's of young people at your doorstep. However, the rowhouses near the train have Rutgers Camden students and there are younger professionals who own or rent in town (like me), Philly is 15 minutes away by train (24x7 by the way - no need to cab all around like you would if you live in Pennsport, Northern Liberties, or Fishtown), and restaurants, shopping, and everything you could need is right nearby. Plus, you're closer to work (15-20 minutes).

Unlike New York, there is no Hoboken in South Jersey. The closest you'll find is Collingswood, but it may be more suburban than you're be looking for. Maybe your new employer can house you somewhere for a few weeks and you can find some time to see some places and see what works for you?

Good luck!

Old 07-18-2011, 10:05 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post
You're going to need reliable parking if you pick Philly, which will be expensive if you need to rent a spot. Mt Laurel from Center City by bus is next to impossible, unless you can get in very early and leave by 5 PM (there is a 406 bus that leaves from Center City, but again, it's unreliable).

It will be hard to find something nice, safe, and with reasonable parking by yourself for $900 in Northern Liberties. If cost is a concern, you'll also be paying $5 a day in bridge tolls to get in and out of NJ (that's $1125 a year on a 45-week work year). Plus, you will pay wage tax (3.93%) and higher state tax in PA (3.07% flat tax).

If you want to do the city, there are benefits, but know it will be more expensive and your neighborhood choices will be limited based on the fact that you can't dump your car and commute to work by foot, bus, or train.

If you're willing to up your budget, you'll want to stay on the east end of town as people are suggesting to keep your commute at 30 minutes or so. I'd avoid University City personally -- getting to NJ may not be bad, but you will have a bear of a time getting across 76W back home. There are just as many young people in Northern Liberties and Fishtown, and you can get to Center City/U City in 10 minutes by the MFL train from Northern Liberties/Fishtown. You could look at Pennsport too, but it's also removed from the core/transit and also block-to-block west of 3rd/4th street. Old City and Center City proper (where there is the most stuff to do) are both way out of your price range. For the places I recommended, you will most likely need a roommate to end up somewhere safe with the amenities you are looking for around $900 per person per month.

I think Collingswood as suggested also offers a cheaper, reasonable compromise. The only challenge I would see is that it is more family oriented, so you won't have 100's of young people at your doorstep. However, the rowhouses near the train have Rutgers Camden students and there are younger professionals who own or rent in town (like me), Philly is 15 minutes away by train (24x7 by the way - no need to cab all around like you would if you live in Pennsport, Northern Liberties, or Fishtown), and restaurants, shopping, and everything you could need is right nearby. Plus, you're closer to work (15-20 minutes).

Unlike New York, there is no Hoboken in South Jersey. The closest you'll find is Collingswood, but it may be more suburban than you're be looking for. Maybe your new employer can house you somewhere for a few weeks and you can find some time to see some places and see what works for you?

Good luck!
Overall, University City is spotty for safety. Powelton Village has long been the choice for students from both universities. It's way safer than the Temple area. Obviously, not as safe as Collingswood. or the gentrified areas of Center City.

Old 07-18-2011, 12:27 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
south, he (she) also wants safe. Philly is not safe.. . I guess he(she) is gonna have to decide whether they want urban(unsafe) or suburban(safe)..
Frank, I think that your feelings about the city are the result of having lived through and experienced its decline years ago. However, Philly has changed a lot (I'm young so I've only ever seen it on the up and up) and there are many areas where you can live and play safely, at any hour of the day or night. If the OP wants to live in the city, I'm sure he'll be able to find somewhere suitable and safe.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:25 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
Frank, I think that your feelings about the city are the result of having lived through and experienced its decline years ago. However, Philly has changed a lot (I'm young so I've only ever seen it on the up and up) and there are many areas where you can live and play safely, at any hour of the day or night. If the OP wants to live in the city, I'm sure he'll be able to find somewhere suitable and safe.
I understand what you are saying sung, but its a fact that the city is a WAY more dangerous place to live in relation to all kinds of crime then the burbs. Its a fact.. Whether you say its safe or not. Its not even close.. Look it up right here on city data. My old neighborhood is roughly 19 times more dangerous for crime to where we are now in Jersey. Thats quite a difference.. Lok here. Philly is WAYYYYY above almost all the national averages for all types of crimes. And you are right. Philly has changed recently.. For the worse.. Please.. no offense but you are young and really are not acustomed to what a safe or a not safe area really is. A safe area is where if you forget to lock your door, its not a issue and your home will be intact when you get home.. Thats something Philly residents have not had for many years.

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nsylvania.html

Old 07-18-2011, 09:18 PM

Quote:
I understand what you are saying sung, but its a fact that the city is a WAY more dangerous place to live in relation to all kinds of crime then the burbs. Its a fact.. Whether you say its safe or not. Its not even close.. Look it up right here on city data. My old neighborhood is roughly 19 times more dangerous for crime to where we are now in Jersey. Thats quite a difference.. Lok here. Philly is WAYYYYY above almost all the national averages for all types of crimes. And you are right. Philly has changed recently.. For the worse.. Please.. no offense but you are young and really are not acustomed to what a safe or a not safe area really is. A safe area is where if you forget to lock your door, its not a issue and your home will be intact when you get home.. Thats something Philly residents have not had for many years.

Frank, I can't agree with you more. I also remember when Philadelphia was the safest large city in the country. I also know when things went to hell in a handbasket.

We've gotten the "I want to live with people my own age" request several times on the Charlotte board. We were floored the 1st time, but pointed them to the area near the university (not the best area & not often recommended) & the couple of them who're come back with more questions are delighted.

I think that the OP needs to come & look at the areas & research them, then decide which is the best fit.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:42 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:

I'm not going to disagree with statistics, it's just that my personal experience has never matched it: During the summer, I spend 3-4 nights a week in the city (West Philly, occasionally South) and have never had a problem, at any time of day or night. I guess my point is just that it's not that hard to be more dangerous (on paper) than South Jersey suburbs, since it's so safe here to begin with. I guess I am just more optimistic about city living than most people.

Also, and no offense taken, but I do know what a relatively unsafe area is like... I live in College Park, MD for most of the year. Burglaries are common, as are robberies and more serious crimes. A few years ago, back in the dorms, several kids on my very floor had their laptops stolen from them. A kid the next street over was shot to death this past year. So yes, I have witnessed or at least been close to things I'd rather not have.

Old 07-19-2011, 07:46 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,691,956 times
I understand what soug is getting at in regards to the city. I worked at a very neighborhood centric business in Philly for a couple years. I've been all over that city and worked with various neighborhood associations and many of my coworkers were very urban pioneer types. There are plenty of areas that are relatively nice and safe.

However, I find it hard to recommend places in the city because it very much comes down to knowing the landscape extremely well. One block can be nice and safe, the other can be a virtual war zone. One such area that comes to mind is Christian St. from the river down to the Italian Market. The north side of the street is a safe and rather upscale area, the south side of the street is a project and there are a lot of issues. Same thing goes for Grad Hospital which is an up and coming area. Stay in Grad Hospital north of Washington and you are OK. Cross Washington and you are in a bad area.

My general recommendation to people who don't know anyone in the city and don't have an overwhelmingly compelling reason to live there immediately is to start out in one of the suburbs with easy PATCO access like Collingswood. Once they get a feel for the landscape of the city and where they want to be, then they can take the plunge.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:34 PM

I'd suggest looking at crime maps. Here's one to start. I do know that the students tend to center around Baring Street, but how far out from the Drexel campus is not something that I'm clear about. Philadelphia, PA Crime Map - Showing Crimes in Philadelphia - Crime Statistics, Alerts and Reports - Crime Stops Here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia