Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:31 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Ask about Bucks County on the Philadelphia board. Look at Moorestown, Cherry Hill, & Haddonfield on the NJ side.

Mt Laurel and Moorestown are much closer on the NJ side. Bucks, especially Yardley or Newtown are very doable and closer than those on the NJ side actually

FWIW I can get to Princeton from CC in 45-50 minutes at rush hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2011, 08:15 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,678,860 times
I would recommend either Moorestown or Mt. Laurel on the NJ side. There are some very nice homes available in the OP's price range and they afford easy access to 295 to get to Princeton. Also, since they sit further north, somewhat on the fringe of the core Philly suburbs, you deal with a lot less traffic going both north and south on 295. There is also ample malls, retail and dining within the immediate area and you are still within an easy drive to Philly.

Another option may be something more rural like Columbus, Mansfield or Florence that have some very nice homes in that price range either on a nice chunk of land or in a more traditional development. You are further from shopping, dining (though Hamilton is nearby) and Philly, but you will take about 20+ minutes off the commute to Princeton.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:41 AM

65 posts, read 157,956 times
I live in Hamilton less than 5 minutes from 295 or Route 1, and it generally takes me 15 - 20 minutes to get into Princeton. It also takes me 30 minutes to get to the Costco in Moorestown/Mt. Laurel, which is right off 295 (and I drive between 75 and 80 much of the way on 295); it's usually another 10 minutes from there to Cherry Hill Mall. I'd guess you're at least 45 minutes from Princeton from the Moorestown/Mt. Laurel/Cherry Hill area. Further north in Burlington will get you closer to Princeton, but further from Philadelphia.

I'd say Newtown and Yardley are probably your best bets, though I still think you're more than 30 minutes from Princeton, and probably more than 30 minutes from Philadelphia. Given road/traffic conditions, I'm not sure how many towns you'll find that are actually in your desired "sweet spot."

You might want to think about the tax issues associated with living in NJ and working in PA; there may be some benefit to living in Pennsylvania if you work there.

@KidPhilly -- CC to Princeton in 45 minutes at rush hour? How do you do it? It can take me 10 minutes just to get from Route 1 to Palmer Square!

Old 10-06-2011, 11:43 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,906,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1031 View Post
I live in Hamilton less than 5 minutes from 295 or Route 1, and it generally takes me 15 - 20 minutes to get into Princeton. It also takes me 30 minutes to get to the Costco in Moorestown/Mt. Laurel, which is right off 295 (and I drive between 75 and 80 much of the way on 295); it's usually another 10 minutes from there to Cherry Hill Mall. I'd guess you're at least 45 minutes from Princeton from the Moorestown/Mt. Laurel/Cherry Hill area. Further north in Burlington will get you closer to Princeton, but further from Philadelphia.

I'd say Newtown and Yardley are probably your best bets, though I still think you're more than 30 minutes from Princeton, and probably more than 30 minutes from Philadelphia. Given road/traffic conditions, I'm not sure how many towns you'll find that are actually in your desired "sweet spot."

You might want to think about the tax issues associated with living in NJ and working in PA; there may be some benefit to living in Pennsylvania if you work there.

@KidPhilly -- CC to Princeton in 45 minutes at rush hour? How do you do it? It can take me 10 minutes just to get from Route 1 to Palmer Square!

Well is more plainsboro or the BMS facility on 206 but yes 45-50 mins

Either all the way up 95 or rt1 depending on where i am going and what that days traffic is

Old 10-06-2011, 11:52 AM

65 posts, read 157,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well is more plainsboro or the BMS facility on 206 but yes 45-50 mins

Either all the way up 95 or rt1 depending on where i am going and what that days traffic is
I thought maybe there was a back way into Princeton "town" that I'd never twigged onto. Rats ... I guess I'll still spend as much time going that last 2 miles as I did the first 8!

Old 10-07-2011, 11:04 PM

21 posts, read 52,984 times
Thank you all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia