Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:11 PM

1,624 posts, read 4,055,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I was under the impression that most people that use Ferry Ave. are actually Collingswood residents.
Why would we go to Ferry Ave when the Collingswood station has tons of free parking?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 08:09 PM

1,953 posts, read 3,878,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms_Christina View Post
Why would we go to Ferry Ave when the Collingswood station has tons of free parking?
No idea. I guess it's closer to some parts of Collingswood than Collingswood's own station? I was just mentioning what I've observed riding the train.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:52 PM

64 posts, read 134,893 times
The best deal around I found are the hi rise apartments I live in called Cooper River Plaza Apts that borders Cherry Hill by a mile or two . They are high end, the tenants range from singles to families, very quiet (even with children here), have a doorman, security, beautiful lobby (like a Hotel), swimming pool area with private cabanas, a deli, dry cleaners, a private shuttle bus that takes people to the grocery store once a week, and the Cherry Hill Mall and Target once a week. Free. It's a great service for tenants that keep their cars at home due to the gas prices and for those that do not have a vehicle. It's the best around in rent because all utilities are included and still less than other comparable apts that charge a lot more and utilities NOT included. It takes a few minutes to drive to Collingswood station. The apts. sit right across a great park nestled by Cooper River with a track. Many people walk or run the track daily, there is a playground, picnic areas, a lot of concerts in the park events, host to charity walk events, a boat house, boat races, etc. and a Seafood Restaurant called the Lobster Shack. By the way, this area is very SAFE. Right across the river is Collingswood. Here is my favorite perk that my apts has. If you don't want to take PATCO, we also have a bus that picks up riders (tenants only) at the front door and takes a round trip through center city Philadelphia and back. Hour on the hour with the first trip of the day starting at 7:15am departure from our front entrance. There are two towers across from each other and the bus picks up tenants at both buildings. It is FREE. Same coming home. If there is a time conflict, of course taking PATCO is the way to go. It is insanity to pay $5 every day for the bridge to Philly and to deal with center city traffic then finding a parking lot or garage that is not filled up and will cost you a pretty penny each day/week/ month (however you pay) it is a lot. Not worth driving into the city if you work in center city. Now if it is outside the city, there are trains Patco connects to also. (I won't even get into that unless I have specific information). I am starting on my 10th year here and just have not found anything better to this day for my needs and expected levels of quality living. Sorry, I must sound like a rental agent. Born in Philly and raised in NJ, I have to say besides the house I grew up in, this is the best place I call home. I hope my info helps a bit. I wish you luck and welcome.

Last edited by arcover1; 07-07-2012 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: Rewrites, some additions, spelling corrections and so on.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:34 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcover1 View Post
The best deal around I found are the hi rise apartments I live in called Cooper River Plaza Apts that borders Cherry Hill by a mile or two . They are high end, the tenants range from singles to families, very quiet (even with children here), have a doorman, security, beautiful lobby (like a Hotel), swimming pool area with private cabanas, a deli, dry cleaners, a private shuttle bus that takes people to the grocery store once a week, and the Cherry Hill Mall and Target once a week. Free. It's a great service for tenants that keep their cars at home due to the gas prices and for those that do not have a vehicle. It's the best around in rent because all utilities are included and still less than other comparable apts that charge a lot more and utilities NOT included. It takes a few minutes to drive to Collingswood station. The apts. sit right across a great park nestled by Cooper River with a track. Many people walk or run the track daily, there is a playground, picnic areas, a lot of concerts in the park events, host to charity walk events, a boat house, boat races, etc. and a Seafood Restaurant called the Lobster Shack. By the way, this area is very SAFE. Right across the river is Collingswood. Here is my favorite perk that my apts has. If you don't want to take PATCO, we also have a bus that picks up riders (tenants only) at the front door and takes a round trip through center city Philadelphia and back. Hour on the hour with the first trip of the day starting at 7:15am departure from our front entrance. There are two towers across from each other and the bus picks up tenants at both buildings. It is FREE. Same coming home. If there is a time conflict, of course taking PATCO is the way to go. It is insanity to pay $5 every day for the bridge to Philly and to deal with center city traffic then finding a parking lot or garage that is not filled up and will cost you a pretty penny each day/week/ month (however you pay) it is a lot. Not worth driving into the city if you work in center city. Now if it is outside the city, there are trains Patco connects to also. (I won't even get into that unless I have specific information). I am starting on my 10th year here and just have not found anything better to this day for my needs and expected levels of quality living. Sorry, I must sound like a rental agent. Born in Philly and raised in NJ, I have to say besides the house I grew up in, this is the best place I call home. I hope my info helps a bit. I wish you luck and welcome.
Plus you get to walk to Connie Mac's...LOL...never really investigated those apts but always saw them as I grew up off South Park Drive....I would say the only potential downside is the transient nature of people that flood the park during Holiday's in the summer. But overall, I don't think it's unsafe. Plus I heard that Cooper River Park will continue to get refurbished which should only help that area.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:57 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoorestownResident View Post
Plus you get to walk to Connie Mac's...LOL...never really investigated those apts but always saw them as I grew up off South Park Drive....I would say the only potential downside is the transient nature of people that flood the park during Holiday's in the summer. But overall, I don't think it's unsafe. Plus I heard that Cooper River Park will continue to get refurbished which should only help that area.

How is Connie Mac's? My wife and I been wanting to go for a while..?

Old 07-10-2012, 07:45 AM

1,983 posts, read 7,518,203 times
One step up from biker bar - maybe. LOL, my GF and I drove by there recently, we were gonna stop in but decided to pass.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
You brought up a good point about the downside of safety during the holidays. There is a potential for any problems in crowds - ANYWHERE.
As I mentioned in my earlier post, living here for almost 10 years, luckily, I have yet to see or heard of any negative "transient" activities, except for a few minor incidents such as some vandalism with parked cars in our lots, and the teenagers were caught. A few homeless panhandling last summer for a couple days and it stopped as suddenly as it started. With those numbers, I can't imagine taking my chances to go anywhere else. During the summer on weekdays, the park is very quiet. Most people that use it walk/run every morning or I notice there are some people that drive here, park and walk their dogs before it gets too hot outside. On the weekends I notice the majority of people that use the park are families that bring their children to play or have a picnic. The atmosphere is almost like we are living in the 50's. LOL! It is AMAZING (an I am knocking on wood now), considering that a few miles away are very unsafe neighborhoods and that none of the dangerous element/activities i.e. gangs and drugs from there do not spill over here - even during holidays. During those times, there are quite a few police here controlling traffic, parking and just being here patrolling the area till everyone has left for the night.
Thanks for bringing up Connie Mac's. I forgot about that, and to note that next door to it is a Burger King. Another club for the 21 year old to 30 something crowd is Top Dog in the opposite direction on Rt. 70. We have WaWa (like a 7-11 for those that live out of state), Dunkin Donuts, Wendy's, Bank of America, Dollar General, Gaetanos (Italian Deli - great hoagies and pizza) right down the street at the corner in a one block area - very walkable. Also, there are two supermarkets very close by.
Just a note: Many tenants have lived here 20+ years. Families that have raised their children here to adulthood. I just happened to run into my neighbor from down the hall this morning and we were talking about renting vs. buying a house. She and her husband have the same opinion as I, that it would be way too costly to pay all the monthly bills, repairs, yard work, just maintenance compared to what we pay here. She mentioned that she needed a new air conditioner the other day and poof! they gave her one. Maintenance here rocks! Any thing that needs to be done is taken care of immediately!
I need to stop, I am writing a mini novel AGAIN. Sorry folks!

Old 07-11-2012, 11:57 AM

Quote:
One step up from biker bar - maybe. LOL, my GF and I drove by there recently, we were gonna stop in but decided to pass.
Where did you get your information and are you making an assumption about Connie Mac's being a "step up from a biker bar - maybe". Maybe??? You are not sure? Did you see a few Harleys parked out front? OH MY!!!! That is considered a rumor - heresay. Only way you could have given accurate or close to description, is had you decided to stop in and seen for yourself. But you passed. Now how is anyone going to know what the place is like?

OK folks, Connie Mac's is an old institution. It is an Irish Pub/ Sports Bar/ Neighborhood watering hole. There are regulars that have been going there for decades. There is an outdoor deck for those who smoke and for extra seating, fresh air, etc. They have a DJ, Karaoke nights, good food - crab legs, steamers, salads, shrimp, lots of food that goes beyond the typical bar fare. Only time it gets wild and so do any other Irish Bar in America and Great Britain, is on St. Patrick's Day. The bar is non-pretentious as in the people that frequent it are regular crowd of pleasant people with a few wild characters in the mix to keep it alive! LOL
The description here is of my personal experiences and observations in the establishment. It's not all rosy, there are some evenings where it can have a neighborhood "dive-y" kind of atmosphere, depending on what is going on, i.e. specials, events, or nothing. Hopes this helps for those who are considering moving in the area and would like to check out Connie Mac's. Like I said, it is an old institution, with a long history.
Any doubts, try it, or Google it. Simple Good luck folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia