Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2012, 06:04 AM

57 posts, read 89,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Species 8472 View Post
Where do you live in NOVA? I suspect you will find the cost of living cheaper in South Jersey than in NOVA.
I live in Fairfax right now. Nice area, however.. I am paying 1500/month for a 1bdroom plus all utilities. It is getting unbearable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2012, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post
We work in the same area (Mount Laurel on the Cherry Hill and Marlton borders) and I've commuted there from Collingswood for 3.5 years at this point. You can take 38E to 73S to the Marlton area just after the Mount Laurel township line (you need to use some local roads if there is congestion on 73S around the turnpike entrance) or you can take 70E to the Marlton area directly. 70E is a cow's path during rush hour, but even if you get stuck in the traffic, it may turn a 15 minute drive into a 30 minute one. You won't be losing hours of your day by living in the Collingswood area over Marlton.

Given your hours, getting in by any route will be easy (traffic doesn't pick up until closer to 7:30-8). Expect a bit rougher commute around 4 PM, but the roads will still be passable until 4:30-5, and traffic will ease up again by 7 PM.

You will have a different lifestyle in Marlton when compared to a place in Collingswood/Haddon Township. Everything you will want to do will require you to get in your car to do it. Marlton has amenities nearby - it's not a desolate wasteland - it's just typical family-oriented suburbia. Some people prefer this. For others, it is boring. I'm sure you'll get a better feel for the area in person.

Good luck!
525 New Jersey 73 - Thats the office location. Is this near the area you are referring to?

Old 12-24-2012, 06:09 AM

Updating you all - I had a spur of the moment trip to NYC/North Jersey this weekend to visit my cousin, and on the way back stopped to visit another cousin of mine and her family that recently moved from Northeast Philly to.. Lindenwold/Clementon..

No.Thanks. I exited the turnpike and drove down a LONGGGGG road that felt like I was riding further and further into the country. No signs of anyone my age, no malls, no theater.. no nada. I havent really seen any of you mention this area too much, but is this what the general area is going to be like in the places that have been suggested? :/

Just looked really dingy.. for lack of a better word. She did say that she takes the train which is aroud the corner from her into Center City pretty quickly.. but still. Ugh. lol

Old 12-24-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
When I first moved back to this area I had a sub-let in Voorhees right next to the Ashland PATCO stop. I hated it. I just felt really isolated. I moved to Collingswood and felt like I met half the town in the first two months I lived there.

I would take a good, hard look at Westmont. It has everything you're looking for and puts you in the center of the things you want to be near. There are people in their late 20s/early 30s all over South Jersey but the places where you'll find them socializing are typically a few places in a few towns and, probably more often, in Center City.

It should take you 20 minutes and up to 35 minutes in bad traffic to get almost anywhere in Marlton. There are a lot different ways to get from A to B and after a few weeks you'll figure out which intersections to avoid and which back roads have the least traffic. For instance, I would probably go with Kresson Rd and Haddon Ave. and avoid Route 70 if I were traveling at peak periods. Off-peak Route 70 would most likely be the quickest route.

Westmont is safe by almost anyone's standard. Any of the towns that anyone has recommended so far are very safe. The only truly dangerous places in South Jersey are Camden and a few neighborhoods in Pennsauken that are west of Route 130 and maybe a few neighborhoods in Lindenwold.

FYI - Haddon Township is broken up into 3 sections that are not contiguous. Westmont is the largest part and is where the town center/train station are. The other sections are West Collingswood and West Collingswood Heights.
What is the commute time from Westmont to Marlton? My office in Marlton is on 73. Also, travel time via car and train from Westmont to Center City? Thank you

Old 12-24-2012, 08:37 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,348,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinMoves View Post
Updating you all - I had a spur of the moment trip to NYC/North Jersey this weekend to visit my cousin, and on the way back stopped to visit another cousin of mine and her family that recently moved from Northeast Philly to.. Lindenwold/Clementon..

No.Thanks. I exited the turnpike and drove down a LONGGGGG road that felt like I was riding further and further into the country. No signs of anyone my age, no malls, no theater.. no nada. I havent really seen any of you mention this area too much, but is this what the general area is going to be like in the places that have been suggested? :/

Just looked really dingy.. for lack of a better word. She did say that she takes the train which is aroud the corner from her into Center City pretty quickly.. but still. Ugh. lol
Lindenwold/Clementon is not the nicest area and not indicative of many of the other areas suggested. Not sure how accurate my NoVA memory is but that's like saying Fairfax isn't very nice because it's close to Annandale. However not sure how you got the feeling that Lindenwold was country, as the western part of Camden County (where most of the suggestions are located) is no more country than much of NoVA.

However that is the same train that has been mentioned. Lindenwold is the last stop on the line.

I'm starting to think Voorhees might be a good compromise between an easy commute, easy access to Philly/PATCO (Ashland station), and easy access to shopping (Voorhees/Cherry Hill/Deptford) as well as the trendier dining/nightlife areas (Haddon Twp./Collingswood).

Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 AM

PATCO

^ time via PATCO to Center City: Ashland 24 mins, Westmont 18 mins, Collingswood 16 mins

Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Lindenwold/Clementon is not the nicest area and not indicative of many of the other areas suggested. Not sure how accurate my NoVA memory is but that's like saying Fairfax isn't very nice because it's close to Annandale. However not sure how you got the feeling that Lindenwold was country, as the western part of Camden County (where most of the suggestions are located) is no more country than much of NoVA.

However that is the same train that has been mentioned. Lindenwold is the last stop on the line.

I'm starting to think Voorhees might be a good compromise between an easy commute, easy access to Philly/PATCO (Ashland station), and easy access to shopping (Voorhees/Cherry Hill/Deptford) as well as the trendier dining/nightlife areas (Haddon Twp./Collingswood).

Thanks for this. Maybe "country" was a stretch.. it just seemed like a really longgggg way down a road that had nothing on it.. Chews Landing was the road if I remember correctly.

I will look into Voorhees.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:33 AM

Haha I grew up off Chews Landing Rd. and it's anything but country. You were probably just thrown off by the one out of place farm across the street from the elementary/middle school.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:07 AM

283 posts, read 607,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakinMoves View Post
525 New Jersey 73 - Thats the office location. Is this near the area you are referring to?
Yes, you are about 3 miles from my Office. From 38E, I'd take 73S exit - go 5 miles - your office is on the right. If you need to be in at 7AM, you will make it in within 15-20 minutes, no problem. If you need to come in later, you can do it in about the same time, but you need to know some local roads to bypass the congestion on 73 at the Turnpike and 295 interchanges.

Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 AM

283 posts, read 607,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

I agree, but the newer apartments at the mall (excuse me, the "Voorhees Town Center") are very expensive and small. Some of the nearby older complexes may offer a better value, especially considering the OP wants to stay around $1100/mo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia