Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia
 [Register]
New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia Burlington County, Camden County, Gloucester County, Salem County in South Jersey
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:13 PM

283 posts, read 608,915 times

Advertisements

Honestly, I think you're going to want to stay closer to work for your sanity. Unless you work off-peak hours, I'm thinking that a commute from Collingswood would easily be 45-60 minutes. A commute from Philadelphia is going to be no better - Route 1 in the AM can be horrible. Plus, you'd get dinged with 4% in wage tax for a marginal benefit given you won't be able to enjoy the city 24/7 as you would if you worked in the city.

You may want to check out Lambertville, NJ. It's not big, but it has a nice downtown area with some restaurants, bars, cafes, etc. That part of the state is a hidden gem - you really owe it to yourself to check it out - even if just to visit. There are tons of beautiful state parks for outdoor activities in that area with actual scenery. The downside is you are nearly 2 hours to NYC by train.

Heading 30 minutes in the other direction, you could check out Burlington City or Mount Holly. Both areas are "up and coming" and I'm not sure there is a whole lot to do. IMO, you're going to be commuting during the week or commuting for fun on weekends.

I'm not sure if there is someplace inhabitable within Trenton city limits. One bonus of Trenton is even though you may not have a lot to do within your neighborhood, you wouldn't lose rail access to NYC or Philly. That said, you're not going to be able to pop in and out of NYC or Philly on a whim like you can using the PATH or PATCO lines. The regional lines likely shut down later in the evening.

The only other idea I can think of is to maybe set up base somewhere along the River Line? I'm not sure if taking a train to work is an option for you or if your office is off of some highway in a suburb like mine is :-)

Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 AM

1,787 posts, read 5,762,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_567 View Post
...Heading 30 minutes in the other direction, you could check out Burlington City or Mount Holly. Both areas are "up and coming" and I'm not sure there is a whole lot to do. ...

There are some beautiful parts of Burlington City, as well as some dumps. I've been hearing Burlington City is an "up and coming" town for a very, very long time. How many years does it take for this process to be complete? I'm starting to think Burlington City is as good as it's going to get.

Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM

681 posts, read 1,516,732 times
Collingswood is where we live and we love it. It is almost an hour to Trenton, however. You WILL GET a 12 minute commute to Philly and enjoy the artsy,"village" feel that Collingswood has.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,162,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa13 View Post
Thanks for the help and insight. I've been to Princeton a few times. Nassau Street in DT Princeton is great, but limited real estate in the vicinity (Princeton University seems to own a chunk of it) though there was a cute apartment I saw, but it's literally across the street from the cemetery.

I've lived all over Manhattan - Harlem (Columbia University for my masters), Upper West Side, Upper East Side, Midtown East and West as well as Grammercy and the East Village. I essentially hopped around every year. The only area that I didn't like was midtown west - Too many commercial buildings, too many tourists, way too dirty.

The inhabitants make for great neighbors: they don't have loud parties and don't complain about YOURS either. Plus it's a good place to jog or take the dogs for a run and you don't have to worry about them stealing your parking place.

Old 05-10-2013, 10:35 AM

607 posts, read 1,265,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa13 View Post
Hi. I'm relocating from NYC for work. My new office will be near Trenton, NJ. It's a bit of a commuting hike from Manhattan so I've been looking at my new housing options. One is the Philadelphia area and the other is NJ. Even though I live in NY, I don't know that area of NJ very well. I'm looking for a town/city that has a more urban feel to it? I love living in Manhattan (for the convenience, bustle, ability to walk everywhere and safety). Are there any places in NJ that fit the bill, to some degree? Thanks a bunch.
Is your office going to be in Trenton proper or where? This makes a difference....

Old 05-13-2013, 05:49 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,748,146 times
Philadelphia is really the only area that will give you a big city feel like NYC. If your job is near one of the Trenton SEPTA lines, you could take the train to commute. However, that will likely not be an option. You could check out one of the smaller towns in the metro area that have small walkable downtowns. Newtown or New Hope are options. New Hope has some awesome nightlife and restaurant options.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:20 PM

8,701 posts, read 14,748,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
Stay out of Philly. You will get banged with a 4% wage tax and some areas are very unsafe. Manhattan is generally much safer. I cannot think of any area of NJ that fits your bill either..
Lol. The day you don't bring up crime in a thread, I will die of shock.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:43 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,931,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summersm343 View Post
Lol. The day you don't bring up crime in a thread, I will die of shock.

The op wanted the safety of where she is now in NYC. Thats why I mentioned that.

Old 06-24-2013, 06:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,682 times
young professional and lifelong mercer county resident here...always had the desire to move to nyc, but for a variety of reasons (mainly, i couldn't get a job there), never made it.

my 2 cents...bite the bullet, live close to your work and pretty much be boring M-Th (do all of your chores, grocery shopping, housework, etc. after work on the weeknights) so you have time to live it up in nyc on the weekends.

is it the same...of course not. but I think it's the second best option. after all, does anyone really feel like wasting 2-2.5 hours commuting every day?

also, whoever said philly and nyc are similar are way off...no comparison. philly has a few tall buildings and some good bars and restaurants (fishtown/no libs is very hot right now), but that's where the similarities end. as far as cities go, it's very regional and blue collar.

Old 06-25-2013, 09:33 AM

512 posts, read 1,021,741 times
What?!!! Philly is pretty Cosmo. Yeah its not NY but its not the sticks either. Philly has a great restaurant/bar scene, very walkable, and streets are narrow for jaywalking. Philly also has lots of tall buildings.... you are comparing NYC to Philly but Philly compared to anywhere else in the USA its very urban.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Jersey > New Jersey Suburbs of Philadelphia